M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

12-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
TZL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP, X5 35D, 2012 X3

Just sold my Tesla and got a m5 cp

Just sold my Tesla and got a m5 cp

Couldn't be happier

Happy to answer any questions you guys have on the Tesla
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Did you have the P85? Do you mind paying for gas now? What ultimately made you transition?

You made the right choice. Welcome aboard!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Mikeisen
Civilian
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Grey M4 F82

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Lets hear the comparison.
      12-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Nearly bought a Tesla myself earlier this year. Was all set to lay my money down, but the test drive (in a P85) just didn't wow me enough. I got back into my M3 to drive home and it really didn't suffer at all in comparison. I had posted on the Tesla forum before the test drive and everyone there told me that the Model S would absolutely blow away my M3, so maybe my expectations were too high - after all I had been suckered by that Ezra Dyer video where a poorly-driven manual M5 loses a drag race to a Model S. That was big news on the Tesla forum. After my Tesla drive I found a used F10 M5 at a local Mercedes dealership and even though I told the salesman I wanted a new one he let me drive it - nice guy. Well, that test drive opened my eyes. Since the car was broken in I was able to floor it, and man was I hooked. This was the upgrade that I was looking for - faster than the Tesla and far superior in cabin comfort and luxury. i found a new M5 in June at Fremont BMW with exactly the options that I wanted and I snapped it up for a great price - less than the Tesla. In my opinion it is just the superior automobile. The Tesla is a great car, and good for the planet - but I'll take my M5 over it in a heartbeat.

OP: Have you completed break-in yet? If not, you are in for a real treat when you unleash the true beast. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
Nearly bought a Tesla myself earlier this year. Was all set to lay my money down, but the test drive (in a P85) just didn't wow me enough. I got back into my M3 to drive home and it really didn't suffer at all in comparison. I had posted on the Tesla forum before the test drive and everyone there told me that the Model S would absolutely blow away my M3, so maybe my expectations were too high - after all I had been suckered by that Ezra Dyer video where a poorly-driven manual M5 loses a drag race to a Model S. That was big news on the Tesla forum. After my Tesla drive I found a used F10 M5 at a local Mercedes dealership and even though I told the salesman I wanted a new one he let me drive it - nice guy. Well, that test drive opened my eyes. Since the car was broken in I was able to floor it, and man was I hooked. This was the upgrade that I was looking for - faster than the Tesla and far superior in cabin comfort and luxury. i found a new M5 in June at Fremont BMW with exactly the options that I wanted and I snapped it up for a great price - less than the Tesla. In my opinion it is just the superior automobile. The Tesla is a great car, and good for the planet - but I'll take my M5 over it in a heartbeat.

OP: Have you completed break-in yet? If not, you are in for a real treat when you unleash the true beast. Enjoy!
1000% agree.

I have a '13 M5. Was going to add a Tesla to my fleet as a toy. Was looking at top of the line loaded Tesla P85+ performance with all options. I was excited about the test drive but disappointed afterwards. Good car but can't compare to the M5. I felt like it was a step back in luxury, quality and performance.

If the car was 75k to 80k maxed out loaded it would be in my garage and I'd consider a decent value. However at 120k after credits it's 50% overpriced relative to an M5 or others in similar class like Mercedes S.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

I sat in one. I liked the huge iPad. That was about all I liked.

I couldn't explore the car anymore because some other guy sitting passenger was yadding away saying how this car is going to save America. While I noticed the window switch hardware and gear stalk came from a C/ML MBZ, he started carrying on about how this car's quality is "best in the world" and much better than even a Rolls Royce.

I couldn't take it anymore.
      01-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Good to know
Because I wanted to get a tesla too
Never test drove it though
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
TZL
Private
United_States
Rep

So I had the Tesla 60, not the P85, but two good friends have the P85 so i've driven them alot, its incrementally faster than the 60, not light years faster

So I'm glad Tesla worked on the battery and motor and the important stuff, it was more the little things and build quality that annoyed me

(background had tons of bimmers/AMGs/Audi S before, plus ferrari, porsche, viper, z06, GTR, supra etc)

The Tesla is very fast 0-40/50/60... but runs out of steam very quickly.... faster than the M5 without LC, its light years better than any other electric car, but i still prefer gasoline.

The Tesla sucks on the freeway, i spend most of my time cruising 75-85 mph on the freeway, the Tesla uses alot more energy at freeway speeds. a M5 would kill a Tesla from a freeway roll... i suspect even a 535i would kill a Tesla P85 from a 65 mph roll.

I would find that at 80-85 mph i would use almost 50% more energy than at 70-75 mph, it just wasn't very efficient for my driving style (high speed freeway cruising)

Additionally I wasn't so impressed with the handling, yes it handles well for a 4500-4800 lb car, hides it weight well b/c the batteries are nice and low, but the steering feels overly light and electric and disconnected (because it is)... not "fun to drive" or exciting after you get over the novelty of the electric car.

The main gripes are the interior, features (lack of) and seats

Seats suck, they are basically power seats that adjust for lumbar with heat, thats it, not like the Comfort seats in the M5 with heating/cooling/active seat or the massaging heated/cooled seats in my Merc CLS55AMG

Also the lack of interior storage pissed me off, there is only a glovebox, no pockets in the doors, no center console, no seat back pockets (there is an add-on center console coming), no coat hangers, no rear cup holders.

The A-pillars were coming detached after 7k (fixed under warranty)

The side marker aluminum trim was flimsy and bent under standard car washing (hand washing/drying)

The dash was creaky (for a car with 7k) just not up to the standard i expect after alot of german cars

The build quality was more American car (b/c its made in America) than a finely crafted German car....

Overall its a good car, much better and would seem to be mind blowing if you came from a Prius or Leaf... but from a guy used to luxury 500hp machines... just OK

I did manage to sell my car for almost $7k more than i was in it for.... something i won't do with my M5 (combination of tax credits and Tesla raising option prices helped)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
TZL
Private
United_States
Rep

Some pics of my Tesla on VMR 22's

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Very nice-looking Tesla. Interesting what you have to say about speed from a freeway roll as I see many Teslas where I live (Bay Are like you, Walnut Creek Alamo Danville area) but I haven't come up against one on the freeway yet. As you say a properly launched M5 would be very close to a Tesla from a dig but for me stoplight racing ended many years ago. I just love that rolling acceleration catapult rush, and that's where the Tesla failed to blow me away on the test drive.

Everything you said about your Tesla echoes what I felt after I drove one. It just isn't as good a car. It is novel and it is electric and it is a great accomplishment, a benchmark car - and for many people that makes all the difference and I totally get that. Heck, I nearly bought one myself. But once the Tesla Kool-Aid wore off and I made subjective car-to-car comparisons the M5 won in a landslide.

Thanks for the review.

PS, did you do any long drives and how did you handle charging it? That's the one thing that really scared me.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 03:40 AM   #11
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

M5 for the win. Congratulations, Enjoyyy, and drive safe.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #12
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Ironically
Replaces my 2nd F10 Comp Oackage M5 with Tesla P90D Ludicrous and missed my M5 exhaust (And ironically it's crazy hooligan mannerisms too and had to add another M5 Comp package with MPExgauste m) but can't get rid of the Tesla for the life of me!! It gives me something that M5 just can't and vice Versa!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
d-bone
Rep
Drives: 2008 ///M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Ironically
Replaces my 2nd F10 Comp Oackage M5 with Tesla P90D Ludicrous and missed my M5 exhaust (And ironically it's crazy hooligan mannerisms too and had to add another M5 Comp package with MPExgauste m) but can't get rid of the Tesla for the life of me!! It gives me something that M5 just can't and vice Versa!!
Soooma, how would compare the handling of your P90D to your M5? How does the Tesla feel in very spirited driving compared to the M5? Coming from an M3, the 5 series I drove felt so big. I haven't driven an M5 at all though. With the growing family, I will need to upgrade in size at some point. I know I would miss the engine sound, and the interaction with gear changes going to the Tesla, but in return the Tesla has much more advanced autopilot abilities, which are only going to get better, and in daily use I would never have to worry about getting gas, just plug it in every night. Also, much less maintenance in the Tesla, with no fluids to change, spark plugs, etc. I also like how Tesla pushes updates to their cars over time to improve them, unlike every other car manufacturer. I know I will love the instant torque of the Tesla, but would love to hear your thoughts on handling differences, how the two cars corner, if either the M5 or Tesla "feels" smaller, things like that.
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 09:59 PM   #14
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

I have both the P100D and M5. Like I said in other threads, if you buy Tesla as your only car, you will be disappointed. People have too much of a high hope of it being a do it all car but it's not.

As someone has pointed out, it's stunning how quickly it can launch itself and acceleration under 80 mph its pretty much unbeatable. But on highway it loses steam quickly and battery will also overheat which not only means you don't have full power, you will also lose air con because the cold air is redirected to the motor and battery. It's an issue during hot summer months in Taiwan for me.

Interior quality it's not as bad as people made it out to be if you selected the upgrade. But Tesla could use better design because it's not much of a looker. Infotainment system is great though.

Charging remains the biggest issue for me. Even supercharging it still takes one hour so for me electric car for now, is better used as a city car than a car you want to travel long distance with.

~ 600k duo
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-21-2017, 11:44 PM   #15
d-bone
Rep
Drives: 2008 ///M3 Sedan

Thanks for the feedback, Phatcat. How would you compare the way the M5 and P100D handle? Does the Tesla handle well for a big car, or just flat out handle well? Is the P for performance in P100D earned? How does it feel web cornering? Does it turn in crisply and pivot nicely, or is its size and weight very apparent? Aside from power and battery heat issues, does the handling feel at home on a track, similar to the way the M5 feels?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #16
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-bone View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Phatcat. How would you compare the way the M5 and P100D handle? Does the Tesla handle well for a big car, or just flat out handle well? Is the P for performance in P100D earned? How does it feel web cornering? Does it turn in crisply and pivot nicely, or is its size and weight very apparent? Aside from power and battery heat issues, does the handling feel at home on a track, similar to the way the M5 feels?
Well yes and no.

Model X P100D besides performance motor it also has the biggest battery which resulted in the heaviest Tesla of all, at over 5500 pounds.

But because the battery is pretty much the chassis so it is low to the ground, which made it handle better than any 5500 pound car should, but no system is every going to disguise the weight.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #17
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

I too had Tesla on the top of my contender list. At the end, the M5 CP was the way to go. I am just not ready to move away from BMW
      08-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #18
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5007 View Post
I too had Tesla on the top of my contender list. At the end, the M5 CP was the way to go. I am just not ready to move away from BMW
If I can only pick one car I would pick the BMW too.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 10:22 PM   #19
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X P100D

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I just moved from the M5 to a Model X P100D...

From a dig, Model X annihilates the M5. From top end, M5 blows it away.

Why I went to the P100D...
-I moved to CA, this castrated mods you can do and pass emissions.
-I have a 2 year old and a 3.5 year old. The car is smooth, quiet, doesnt shake the house down on cold start and wake up family and piss off neighbors
-Seats 6 COMFORTABLY
-Has autolearn for pre-conditioning of the temperature inside the vehicle.
-Autopilot makes traffic much more enjoyable
-Usable power down low - keeps you out of trouble
-Fun Tech stuff and big screen
-No More paying for gas
-100's of less components to break over traditional car
-OTA Updates often - at my home - without doing anything
-Way better reverse camera
-Built in audio streaming free

What I miss:
-I miss the turbo sounds, exhaust sounds, getting sideways
-I miss the top end power
-I miss the ability to do coding of advanced features
-I miss just rolling up to a gas station in a pinch to get more miles if needed
-I miss the overhead camera view
-I dont miss the get yourself molested active seats

It's a more practical car with fun tech and great performance. Maybe when kids are older, back to something funner.
Appreciate 1
patb2392.00
      10-20-2017, 06:36 AM   #20
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpetuousRacer View Post
I just moved from the M5 to a Model X P100D...

From a dig, Model X annihilates the M5. From top end, M5 blows it away.

Why I went to the P100D...
-I moved to CA, this castrated mods you can do and pass emissions.
-I have a 2 year old and a 3.5 year old. The car is smooth, quiet, doesnt shake the house down on cold start and wake up family and piss off neighbors
-Seats 6 COMFORTABLY
-Has autolearn for pre-conditioning of the temperature inside the vehicle.
-Autopilot makes traffic much more enjoyable
-Usable power down low - keeps you out of trouble
-Fun Tech stuff and big screen
-No More paying for gas
-100's of less components to break over traditional car
-OTA Updates often - at my home - without doing anything
-Way better reverse camera
-Built in audio streaming free

What I miss:
-I miss the turbo sounds, exhaust sounds, getting sideways
-I miss the top end power
-I miss the ability to do coding of advanced features
-I miss just rolling up to a gas station in a pinch to get more miles if needed
-I miss the overhead camera view
-I dont miss the get yourself molested active seats

It's a more practical car with fun tech and great performance. Maybe when kids are older, back to something funner.
The biggest annoyance for me on the MX P100DL is battery drain. It is so heavy that if you drive it hard, it doesn't last long. I can barely get 200km per charge.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #21
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X P100D

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
The biggest annoyance for me on the MX P100DL is battery drain. It is so heavy that if you drive it hard, it doesn't last long. I can barely get 200km per charge.
I hear yah, I like to drive it silly. I put in a 100A and wall charger so I can fill it up at 72A charge rate.

Luckily I dont have a long commute so it works out.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #22
SilverRevlis
Motiphd
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 M Sport

I have been all over the place for my next move...even here. I did an extended test drive of a 17' 75D AWD 2 weekends ago to see if the car was a good fit in our everyday lives.

-Handling: Super low center of gravity was very happy to turn in late and stay very flat. I was very impressed. On the highway, the heft of the car made if feel more substantial in a positive way. Around the city, the car actual felt somewhat nimble, but you can tell the weight is all there.

-Acceleration: Off the line, there is not a whole lot of cars that are going to be next to this thing. I love to be able to put a healthy amount of space between me and other cars when the light turns green to help minimize my risk of getting swerved into or cut off, or who knows what else. This car gets where you want it with urgency. The 75D was 0-60 in 4.2........ I believe every bit of that as the throttle response is very satisfying in that you think about advancing the car forward and your body receives immediate confirmation by stuff getting blurry outside! Once moving and passing a vehicle, acceleration is also pretty good up there, but not at pin-you-to-your-seat as lower down in the speed range. Mind you, the car for the test drive was limited to 85mph, so there could have been logic to start to taper power as I got closer to the capped speed limit, who knows. I also did a test drive in the P100D, its physically uncomfortable how fast that gets off the line and gets moving from any speed. its like it tries to push your brain and your internal organs into the back seat. You will not want to do that over and over again.....TRUST me!

-Charging: This was my main focus to exercise and take note of. It's not like a gasoline or diesel where you can simply find any station, fuel up and be on your way within minutes. You need to plan, and ensure you have charged the car sufficiently overnight or the previous day. Luckily there are roughly 9 of Tesla supercharger stations down the street that have just been installed by our local WaWa and every rest area on the NJTP has at least 4 Tesla supercharger station. It was convenient as I was able to bring my laptop and do my weekly and next-day planning while having soup, listening to music AND using the built in web browser to effectively "dual screen" my work. When plugged in with 45 miles of charge left, the car got up to 72kw at first, then I heard a fan behind the dashboard get down to business and those kw started climbing (highest I saw was 85 kw). A couple of minutes later a Model X pulled up and plugged in, and about 2 minutes later, the kw's dropped down to 72-75kw, not getting higher again until they left. At home, don't even bother plugging the car in unless you have the upgraded charger, as the standard charger results in about 1-2 miles/hour.....nope!!

-Interior Comfort: With a 4 and 5 year old in booster seats out back and the wife passenger, we had a bit more room than my F10 with Comfort seats. It was a bit of a pin buckling the kids up due to the placement of the belt buckles in the back seats though. It also felt like I had to unnaturally keep my legs together as it seems the foot-well sharply tapers in (I'm 6'0, 245). I absolutely loved the bolster on the seat back, but wish the thigh bolsters we an inch or two more open. Not having perforated or ventilated seats was a bit of a shock, but I was told they do not offer ventilated seats due to the constant heating and cooling causing cracks and tears between the perforations....dunno about that one. Cup holders in the front armrest were super awkward and didn't seem to be deep enough. The rear visibility seemed to be truncated out of the rear window also. As for the seating position, I really liked it.

-AutoPilot: I'm in the IT field, and I was thoroughly impressed with it's functionality. I hit a bit of traffic on the highway going to the office Monday morning which helped the AutoPilot "make it's bones". On the way back home the first night, a tractor trailer decided to try to occupy the same coordinates in time and space as I was, before I could throw an expletive out, the car already threw the opposing signal on the move to the next lane while slowing down....Impressed! Not an autopilot situation, but a pair of dogs came into the road when it was dark at night and the car seemed to have the brakes primed, and I could swear it started to stop before i could to avoid hitting them.

All in all, taking the price into account with having to sacrifice some luxury bits, in my eyes, it's not a result that's enough to sell me. I think pre-owned pricing may get that into a much more positive position, but I would need to wait until the prices for a pre-owned model that supports v2.0 and up get within a good value ballpark. I though the lease prices would be a bit more friendly, but even on the 75D, we are up above M550/650 GC pricing.
2010 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance (hers/retired)
Appreciate 0