F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Got my 335d xDrive on Friday
ARMA SPEED

12-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Just a quick post but to say I've got my car at last and it's awesome. Buying it without a test drive felt damn weird but it's worked out well.

I've done 234 miles in her now to have a bit of a drive (Delivering Xmas Presents to family). So thoughts on a few things.

The ride is excellent. I'm coming from a E90 330d SE so it didn't have sports suspension and just 17inch wheels. There was body roll on that car but it was extremely comfortable. I've got the dynamic suspension on my car and in comfort I'd have to say the ride is even better and this is on 19's. It soaks up the bumps in the road really well.

When the suspension is in sports mode the ride doesn't change hugely. You feel some more bumps in the road but it's not uncomfortable at all either. However the body roll is reduced and clearly makes it better at cornering quicker. Or at least you feel the car is more planted when cornering quicker.

Active cruise control is amazing. I'm not sure what else I can say on this but it works so well in the testing I've given it. I highly recommend this option.

I'm glad I added HUD to the car in the end. It's a simple feature but I'm already getting used to it. I wouldn't say it's a must have as it's still a great car without it but if you can afford it, tick the option.

Adaptive lights are working so clearly fairy dust was sprinkled in during production as it's amazing how it works. I'm not sure it would be worth extra over standard Xenons but as it's part of a pack it's all good. As in I can see it's great but standard Xenons would probably be good enough.

So if I was to list my must have options for a 335d xDrive it's the Active Cruise, Pro Nav and Adaptive Suspension. I'd also add in the M Sport+ pack if your on PCP as it doesn't cost anything extra and ups the looks nicely plus you want the HK stereo. Any other options are great but more luxury. Just my opinion.

One thing to note is my car came with 2013-2 maps on it. Speaking to Dracon he says the FSC code in the car might take the 2014 maps without another code. That's very honest of him to advise me of that and he came back really quickly with a detailed email.

So on the off chance I've plugged in a USB stick with the 2014 NBT maps and it's now in 48% without asking for a code. If it does need a code then I'll shell out. Will let you know how it works out once it's done if it's worked.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive ordered

Any pics of your new motor!?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibonyad
Any pics of your new motor!?
I'll sort them out tomorrow. Off to bed now but looks like Nav update has worked without needing a code. It's even got my road on and house number where as the 2013-2 maps didn't. Excellent
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

FWIW, when updating the maps, if it needs a code, it asks for it before any data is transferred.

BMW is starting to deliver more diesel choices in the USA, but it's still a far cry from what's available nearly everywhere else in the world. It's a function of fuel prices, and ours are not taxed anywhere near as high as many places, so people tend to overlook that choice, or at least not clamber for it.

Sounds like a nice package.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

That's great you finally have your car! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
I'll sort them out tomorrow. Off to bed now but looks like Nav update has worked without needing a code. It's even got my road on and house number where as the 2013-2 maps didn't. Excellent
So where do you get the map updates from? I could do with updating mine too as my house number doesnt exist on my Nav so hoping it will be on the next update.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Nice one Fastlane. I got my motor yesterday so will post pics shortly...
Where did you get your map update from? My dealer never mentioned this but it would obviously be good to have???
Cheers Sir
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

My dealer didn't tell me about the map update. I'd just done some research before hand.

Basically the 2014 maps appeared to have come out for CIC and CCC Nav systems about 2 months before the NBT maps came out. The Europe NBT maps hit early December and US ones I think still aren't out.

I'm not 100% sure but seeing as mine has gone on without needing a code they were probably issuing a 2014 code but didn't have the NBT 2014 maps to load on so ended up with 2013-2. But means can upgrade to 2014 for free.

I got the maps from this place. You'll want the 2014 NBT Europe maps of course. It's a huge download but I'm lucky to have 200Mbit fibre so didn't take me long. Then just get a 32GB flash drive, make sure it's formatted to FAT32 (Probably is out of the box). Copy the files on and plug it into your USB port in the car. It only took about 2 - 3 seconds before it said the USB had newer maps than my car and offered to update. Took about an hour to load it all in.

Just check what maps you've got first but I'm guessing our long delayed shipping means you've got 2013-2 on as well.

I had a Nav code in the glovebox which I guess is what they used. My only other guess is BMW doesn't load the maps up but the dealers do when they get the car and my dealer didn't have the latest maps yet. Not sure how it works.

No harm in trying as it'll ask for a code before loading if you cannot take those maps. You can get a code for $50 which doesn't seem too bad to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
That's great you finally have your car! Congrats!

Quote:
So where do you get the map updates from? I could do with updating mine too as my house number doesnt exist on my Nav so hoping it will be on the next update.
Yeah thanks. You had a LCI E90 330d as well didn't you? So same engine but with an extra turbo but wow this one sounds like it means business a lot more.

If I was to try and describe it the single turbo LCI E90 sounded like a guy who worked out a lot and got his muscles. The 335d F30 sounds like a guy that was born badass, has jail tattoos and a huge scar down the side of his face.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
My dealer didn't tell me about the map update. I'd just done some research before hand.

Basically the 2014 maps appeared to have come out for CIC and CCC Nav systems about 2 months before the NBT maps came out. The Europe NBT maps hit early December and US ones I think still aren't out.

I'm not 100% sure but seeing as mine has gone on without needing a code they were probably issuing a 2014 code but didn't have the NBT 2014 maps to load on so ended up with 2013-2. But means can upgrade to 2014 for free.

I got the maps from this place. You'll want the 2014 NBT Europe maps of course. It's a huge download but I'm lucky to have 200Mbit fibre so didn't take me long. Then just get a 32GB flash drive, make sure it's formatted to FAT32 (Probably is out of the box). Copy the files on and plug it into your USB port in the car. It only took about 2 - 3 seconds before it said the USB had newer maps than my car and offered to update. Took about an hour to load it all in.

Just check what maps you've got first but I'm guessing our long delayed shipping means you've got 2013-2 on as well.

I had a Nav code in the glovebox which I guess is what they used. My only other guess is BMW doesn't load the maps up but the dealers do when they get the car and my dealer didn't have the latest maps yet. Not sure how it works.

No harm in trying as it'll ask for a code before loading if you cannot take those maps. You can get a code for $50 which doesn't seem too bad to me.
Thanks for that - but there is no link in your post! Not unless it not showing up on my ipad.
Any chance you could post the link up?

Ta.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry about that. Been out and about doing all this on my iPhone. Lots to do with run up to Xmas so will try and get some photo's up soon but might have to wait a bit. Nothing you won't have seen before, it's EB with M Sport+ kit. Lol

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893113

Just double check what version you've got before you spend an age downloading the new maps.

You just need to go to options while in Nav and at the bottom of the menu you should find the option to show you what version of the navigation system you have. 2014-1 is newest.

Something I've noticed but compared to my iDrive in my LCI E90 there's some nice improvements I've not seen anyone talk about so a nice surprise. Small things but welcome none the less. For instance on my E90 LCI if you setup Bluetooth audio to a phone but then plugged it into the USB cable it would disable the Bluetooth audio for that device. You'd then have to go to config the device again to re-enable it as it would stay off once unplugged from the cable. It doesn't do that anymore.

Also if playing music over the USB cable, if you pull the phone out and it's connected via Bluetooth there's a 2 - 3 second gap and then the music resumes over Bluetooth now. That's pretty good as well.

Finally you get album art on my iPhone 5S over Bluetooth where as before I'd only get it over the USB cable. Similarly I've popped in a USB stick with some music and also see album art work on this which you wouldn't on the E90's LCI iDrive. I think they've also changed the hard drive storage system around quite a bit but not loaded any music onto it yet.

Overall it's similar enough that it's easy to jump into it but they've tweaked it and updated it quite a bit as well.

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 12-22-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out later.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

@FastLaneJB
More daft questions.... those links for the links on that page, I don't understand how to download the map file?

Dont really understand how you deal with Torrent files? Heard of them but not played with them before.

And what is the "....magnet:?xt=urn:btih:96......." link? I've put this in a browser and it doesn't recognise it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #13
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Scratch the above, I've found a free torrent downloader thingy. Seems to be downloading now.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Good stuff. If you really struggle I'm in Cambridgeshire if you want to use my USB stick with the maps. That or your broadband struggles with the file size
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #15
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

I download it last night and it took about 3 hours.

I just need to buy a new 32gb USB stick - but been meaning to get one for a while and got one on order through Amazon. No rush.

Cheers.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #16
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
FWIW, when updating the maps, if it needs a code, it asks for it before any data is transferred.
Mine didn't prompt for the code until after a cold start. They all installed fine initially.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #17
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Mine didn't prompt for the code until after a cold start. They all installed fine initially.
Hmmm, this makes me nervous. We could load maps then it won't work as it needs a code? ie a working nav will no longer work? Do you have to buy a code and should we buy it up front?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Is yours a NBT nav or an earlier model? My understanding is it shouldn't load without first checking the code is OK on NBT nav system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Hmmm, this makes me nervous. We could load maps then it won't work as it needs a code? ie a working nav will no longer work? Do you have to buy a code and should we buy it up front?
I've had my car on and off a few times with no problems.

Still maybe best to speak to someone about codes first so your happy with that route. Your car is a tad older as well so a bit less chance it'll go on without wanting another code.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Is yours a NBT nav or an earlier model? My understanding is it shouldn't load without first checking the code is OK on NBT nav system.

I've had my car on and off a few times with no problems.

Still maybe best to speak to someone about codes first so your happy with that route. Your car is a tad older as well so a bit less chance it'll go on without wanting another code.
Ok thanks. I think mine was built sometime in October.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #20
chetalien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xd

Quote:
Scratch the above, I've found a free torrent downloader thingy. Seems to be downloading now.
Where did u find it? I cant use the magnet link either, struggling a bit. cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #21
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

I just downloaded this freetorrentviewer.com

Open up the torrent file with this viewer and it will download the maps.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #22
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Yes mine wouldn't show the maps the following day, it just prompted for the code which I had already purchased thankfully. Was yours ok in the end?

Quote:
Mine is NBT. All F31's are.
Appreciate 0