2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums CANADA HELP - BMW Assist and Real Time Traffic

12-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
A.Kon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F10

Angry HELP - BMW Assist and Real Time Traffic

Sorry for the long read.

BMW Parkview delivered to me a 2014 535d in early September. BMW assist and real time traffic did not work on day 1 - delivery guy didn't know what he was doing. After researching on the internet for a while, a few weeks later I went back to find out why and they took in the car for 3 days to see what was the problem. They didn't know, but I found out from BMW Assist that my info was not submitted to them and the dealership should have done all that paperwork. I was seriously pissed with the time wasted and such a poor delivery experience and for 4 weeks the problem was the dealership and incompetence

I complained to BMW Parkview and after about 3 weeks of back and forth and at one point they called me daily to give me updates with various excuses like calling BMW in Germany and BMW Canada in late Oct they said they think the problem is fixed and I need to bring the car in (this is 8 weeks after delivery). After 1 week of functional use, both BMW Assist and Real Time traffic were not functional - I couldn't even call out with the emergency button. So brought it in again November 11 and they said they needed a replacement part from Germany (a telemast system?) which will take 2 weeks. They never called, I went on vacation and came back mid December and called for status - voila they had the part but failed to call me.

They make an appointment and take my car again this week for another 2 days and they say they replaced the part and it's not the problem and they don't know. They have to keep my car for the weekend and see what they can do on Monday December 20. At this point, I don't even think I'll have my car during the Christmas holidays and will be driving a crappy X1 around.

I am seriously pissed - purchase an $80K brand new car and these features have not worked since day 1 due to dealership incompetence. I've had to visit them 5 times for this and they don't know what's wrong. They replace a part which they don't even know will work - they obviously take apart a brand new car's factory sealed electrics to guess at what can be the problem. BMW parkview management has no idea how bad I've been treated even though I keep escalating to the various different managers.

HELP Please - suggestions.
What do I do to escalate the incompetance to even higher management at BMW?
How do I get these features of my car fixed and finally working?
BMW Assist and real time traffic - is that free only for a period of time? - I've been unable to use them for 4 months since I took delivery.
How do I get compensated for the glorious waste of time they put me through?
The car is a 36 month lease - can they put me into a different car that works since that's what I paid for? Already 10% of my lease and experience wasted because they are useless.

in short: 5, soon 6 visits to BMW parkview to get this fixed, 3 loaner cars, wasted hours with emails, countless phone calls, internet searching, inconvenience with the baby seat and drop-off routines in the various loaners, over 3.5 months of nonsense and no progress - all for the same problems on a new car since day 1. What do I do next?

Last edited by A.Kon; 12-20-2013 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Balazzo556
WOLF Pack Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i w M Package

Garage List
A.Kon,

I am sorry to hear that, but you have to be consistent and escalate your car's issues to the general manager level or even to the corporate. I had something like this two years ago when the same day I did deliver a brand new 2011 X3 and the power steering broke. it took three week because this vehicle was recently introduce into the market and later on became a factory recall for electric power steering failure.

But right away I talked to the sales and finance managers and I asked them what they will do. you must be strong and look for your benefit regardless purchase or lease you are paying my friend. Two days after this incident, the dealer general manager got in contact with me and told us if there was anything that he can do to mitigate our inconvenience and actually they give us a BMW courtesy BMW 535i while they were fixing our brand new X3.

At the end, the situation was fixed and they delivered my brand new fixed X3 from NC to VA, where my wife was at that time and bring back my car, plus they tinted our vehicle with the new nano tinted windows for free.

A.Kon you must fight for what is right. I will look for the BMW corporate email and I will forward to you when I found it... of course if you want it... or call BMW customer service and ask for a shift supervisor or manager and explain your situation to him/her.

Now, BMW Assist, you will have to pay but real traffic is free, or at least I did not pay for the last two years almost. If you contact BMW corporate and explain them your situation, they will fix or get some for you inconvenience...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
A.Kon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. I would like an email address. I can't seem to find a Canadian one.

As you can imagine. 3.5 months of this bs is really getting to me. I emailed the dealership manager a while ago and they didn't even respond. How lousy is that? This dealership is quite ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

Parkview and BMW Toronto are both owned by the Quinn Group. Reg and Steve Quinn are the dealer principles. They also own other dealerships.
At Parkview, the GM is Shawna Quinn, 416 847-3429 smquinn@parkviewbmw.com
Also try Sal Portelli, Director of Fixed Operations, 416 847-3432 sal@quinngroup.ca
Service Manager is Sandro Francavilla 416 444-4269 ext 2282 sandrof@parkviewbmw.com. I personally have dealt with Sandro and found him to be very fair and diligent in his efforts. Sorry if you have had the opposite results.

BMW Canada is located at 50 Ultimate Dr., Richmond Hill 1-800 567-2691.

While you have probably already talked to some of these people, I hope this info may be helpful. I personally think you will get further with either a personal visit or at least a phone call to Shawna to get this resolved. Failing that, ask to speak to Reg. He has been in business a long time and genuinely values his customers.
Good luck.
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Why don't you just take your car to a different dealer? I think you should try to keep things in perspective too. Your car is working except for a couple of minor features that will get worked out by an interested and competent dealer.

My car had a part failure at 1,333 Km's last month - a power control module (PCM) failure that stranded me while at a bank in -28C weather. Roadside assistance was not reachable through BMW assist - line kept getting disconnected so I used my cell phone to dial roadside assistance, then had to wait 4 hours for a tow, then elected to be the person in the car after seeing the dirt and grease covered tow truck driven sent to recover my car. I had spoken to the service manager about the problem I was having and he couldn't offer a loaner as they were out because of all of the cold weather breakdowns. My car was ready the next day at 4:30, the SM suspecting the problem was the PCM and had it flown in from Toronto overnight.

I could have gone into the dealership waving my arms in the air and shouting about how my brand new $75,000 car broke down, but decided to be calm and give them a chance to fix it (which they did). After all, the dealer didn't manufacture the car, they just have to fix them.

In one respect, you are lucky, if Parkview can't fix your problem you have the choice of several dealers in the GTA to choose from, or as the earlier post suggests, contact BMW directly for some help. My sister has numerous intermittent gremlins in her 2011 3 series cab that Parkview has been unable to correct. Not sure if it is their fault or the problems would have eluded any dealer.

My advice? Take the view that you are driving a car not "an $80,000 BMW" and you'll expect less from your dealer and keep you blood pressure lower. Works for me.
      12-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Kon View Post

As you can imagine. 3.5 months of this bs is really getting to me. I emailed the dealership manager a while ago and they didn't even respond. How lousy is that? This dealership is quite ridiculous.
This problem might be a bigger problem than your car and dealership. Apparently there is a problem impacting many 2014 BMW's in Canada with BMW Assist and Connected Drive. Are you able to connect and talk to BMW Assist when you press the SOS Button? If you are able to talk to them the hardware might be working correctly and BMW Assist just doesn't have your subscription information so you are not getting the full service. Apparently BMW made changes impacting 2014 models and BMW Canada did not receive or act upon them resulting in the service not being set up correctly. There are others with the same problem. Suggest you call BMW Assist Canada and talk to them (1-800-493-4070).

Last edited by Sailormannn; 12-22-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
A.Kon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor-man
Quote:

This problem might be a bigger problem than your car and dealership. Apparently there is a problem impacting many 2014 BMW's in Canada with BMW Assist and Connected Drive. Are you able to connect and talk to BMW Assist when you press the SOS Button? If you are able to talk to them the hardware might be working correctly and BMW Assist just doesn't have your subscription information so you are not getting the full service. Apparently BMW made changes impacting 2014 models and BMW Canada did not receive or act upon them resulting in the service not being set up correctly. There are others with the same problem. Suggest you call BMW Assist Canada and talk to them (1-800-493-4070).
I had the problems you noted and yes Parkview finally was able to resolve the issue. But now the SOS button doesn't work and real time is down.

Believe I've been very patient and been waiting a total of 3.5 months. I can accept a week or two or even three understanding it may not be in their control, but at 3.5 months and now approaching 4 months my patience is wearing thin. Each time it's like I'm a totally new customer. Thanks for all the contacts guys. I'll prob contact Shauna (again) or call Reg.

Thanks for the help guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
A.Kon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update. No still not fixed

Now 4 full months and counting.

With the ice storm Parkview lost power so I took my car back for the holidays - obviously can't blame them for that. I finally got on contact with shawna and she had someone get me an appointment right away (since they didn't call me on their own accord) and she gave me a new 550i as a loaner - only had 40 kms.

Fair. Given the longer this takes (which at this rate may be a while) I just put many more kms on this new car everyday. They now have a decent incentive to get my car fixed ASAP.

For the record, I've been completely reasonable and patient throughout this ordeal and not been a customer asking for the world and going through regular service advisor and manager discussions and it got no where for 4 months. Escalating to the general manager and explaining the disgraceful after sales service gets a new 550i and immediate appointment and shop foreman working on it.... Just saying.

And to the guy who thinks I should relax ... At least your car got fixed in a reasonable time. I don't think 4 months and counting is reasonable for any kind of client service.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #9
Donser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10

I was told ARTTI was not available until Feb of 2014?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #10
A.Kon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donser
I was told ARTTI was not available until Feb of 2014?
It's available. I'm driving a brand new 2013 550i as a loaner and everything works on it including Real time traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
Donser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10

Mine seems to not be working... Not much traffic in Windsor I guess.

Quote:
It's available. I'm driving a brand new 2013 550i as a loaner and everything works on it including Real time traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #12
A.Kon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

All is finally fixed and working. It took over 1 week, but finally all these functions, BMW remote app and traffic is working!!

Sadly, after over 4.5 months it took escalation to dealership owners to get this resolved.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
All is finally fixed and working. It took over 1 week, but finally all these functions, BMW remote app and traffic is working!!

Sadly, after over 4.5 months it took escalation to dealership owners to get this resolved.
Glad to hear its fixed. Did they tell you what the problem was and how they fixed it. Was it software related or were new parts needed to fix?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
RASHID007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d X-Drive

Did they tell you what the problem was and how they fixed it? I'm having the same SOS Malfunction and no BMW Assist issue with my 2014 535d received this week.

Thank you.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Not sure if we heard from the original post on final resolution. Suggest you contact BMW Canada Customer Service and talk to them as it isn't something the dealer can fix. It took me several months for it to be sorted by BMW Assist in the US and I'm still waiting to hear final resolution from BMW as to what the problem was, if it's been completely fixed and compensation. Problem seems to involve some but not all 2014 Canadian models.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #16
RASHID007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormannn
Not sure if we heard from the original post on final resolution. Suggest you contact BMW Canada Customer Service and talk to them as it isn't something the dealer can fix. It took me several months for it to be sorted by BMW Assist in the US and I'm still waiting to hear final resolution from BMW as to what the problem was, if it's been completely fixed and compensation. Problem seems to involve some but not all 2014 Canadian models.
Thanks for the information. I called BMW Canada who were very nice but said they had no info and I should deal with dealer. I called BMW assist and they said the same thing...to deal with dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #17
A.Kon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi. Sorry but yes finally resolved. It was entirely software, so they say. At first it was hardware back in October, but I honestly think that's BS. Then they did software refresh. Then they said it was working but once my phone tried to pair, nothing worked again.

BMW Canada won't help. Deal with the dealership and be professional and forceful and let them know how pissed and frustrated you are. Don't bother with middlemen. They don't know anything and downplay your priority. You bought a brand new car, they should treat you the same as when you bought each time you bring it in for warranty issues like this. Don't be a jerk, be truthful, and logical to the owner and any other senior management. It took another week after my last post. Throught Januray I drove almost 800 kms on a new 550i and returned the car with no gas.

I still did not receive compensation. So that reminds me, I might follow up next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #18
Sailormannn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASHID007 View Post
Thanks for the information. I called BMW Canada who were very nice but said they had no info and I should deal with dealer. I called BMW assist and they said the same thing...to deal with dealer.
Interesting. My problem was software related too, but the problem wasn't anything in the car that the dealer could fix themselves. It had to do with my BMW Assist and Connected Drive registration not showing online on the system at BMW Connect. My BMW Assist button worked, so I was able to press it and talk to BMW Assist, but they kept telling me that they had not yet received the registration and agreement from the dealer despite the dealer resubmitting it multiple times. I finally escalated it to Senior Management at the dealer who escalated it to BMW Canada for their intervention.

My understanding is that it required the involvement of 2nd level technical support at BMW Assist to fix,

If your BMW Connect button isn't working you may want to try updating BMW Assist. You go to the Connected Drive icon on the menu and open it up, then shift to the right twice and tap on "update BMW Assist" and wait for it to show done. Then try pressing the overhead button to test it out. Make sure you have the car outside with a clear view of the sky.

Good luck with it; no idea why this impacts some cars and not others and why it takes so long to fix. Let us know if it gets fixed and what the issue was.
Appreciate 0