E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > how to torque rear suspension?

12-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
6BATMAN6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i m package

how to torque rear suspension?

ok so I have had one other post on here about this issue. the rear passenger side of my 2010 e92 335i mt where the front upper control arm bolts to the wheel knuckle. that bolt has now snapped 3 times! the first time on stock sport suspension and no other mods, I replaced the control arm as well as all struts with kw coilovers v1, and it happened again. first 2 times happened while slamming into second gear. now last night it happened going over a bump at about 10 mph. it was also very cold all of these nights.

Now my question is how the hell do I get the torque specs correct on this area. in order to torque down the bolts on those top 2 control arms (or any of them ) the car must be under load. so i put load on the suspension but i can only get to the upper rear control arm with a torque wrench . once load is on the car it is impossible to fit a giant torque wrench in the little space that's left. has anyone replaced any of these control arms?what was your method to getting these bolts torqued correctly while under load?
please and thank you ..im really getting tired of swamping bolts out of my suspension at all hours of the night in the cold lol
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Crowsfeet, and/or box-end wrenches on one end with a ratchet drive end on the other http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J5100-...=pd_sbs_auto_4. http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2585-2-...ef=pd_sim_hi_2 . You'll have to re-calculate the torque though.

But honestly, I just go with gud'n'tight for my car. I am very comfortable with how fasteners feel when they are "torqued". I would not recommend it to you, just go with the adaptors.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
You can load up the suspension by putting it on stands, and lifting from under wheel carrier with a jack until the car just lifts off the stands. That should hopefully give you enough access to fit a wrench in there.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
With the car on jack stands and the wheels off you can jack up each side of the suspension independently until the suspension is at ride heigh (lower control arm parallel with the ground). Tighten the bolts and repeat as needed for each wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
6BATMAN6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i m package

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord
With the car on jack stands and the wheels off you can jack up each side of the suspension independently until the suspension is at ride heigh (lower control arm parallel with the ground). Tighten the bolts and repeat as needed for each wheel.
Yeah thats exactly what im doing but when theres load like that the rotor to the fender only has about 6 inchs of clearance .. And the bolts are at the top there
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6BATMAN6 View Post
Now my question is how the hell do I get the torque specs correct on this area. in order to torque down the bolts on those top 2 control arms (or any of them ) the car must be under load. so i put load on the suspension but i can only get to the upper rear control arm with a torque wrench . once load is on the car it is impossible to fit a giant torque wrench in the little space that's left. has anyone replaced any of these control arms?what was your method to getting these bolts torqued correctly while under load?l

HERE
Appreciate 0