E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bump stops Oem Sport VS Oem stock

12-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
ggsoule
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Bump stops Oem Sport VS Oem stock

Does anyone know if there are different bump stops required when going from stock springs to stock sport springs w/Koni FSD shock/strut setup?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Yes there are. Sports are shorter, but a non-XI coupe already has "sport" springs and bump stops. On a sedan without sport package (or any XI), if you swap OEM sport springs in the OEM bump stops will be too tall. So you either trim off the original stops or get new ones correct length.

Where it gets complicated is when you swap non-OEM lowering springs into a car that had the OEM sport suspension (any non XI coupe or any non XI sedan with sport package). In that case depending on the drop you may need to trim the existing sport bump stops or many folks go to E36M3 front and Z4M rear stops, which are shorter than OEM sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
ggsoule
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

So all RWD coupes have sport springs, whether they have the sport package or not? I guess I just wasted some money buying "sport" springs for my E92. Should have asked this question before. Live and learn.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsoule View Post
So all RWD coupes have sport springs, whether they have the sport package or not? I guess I just wasted some money buying "sport" springs for my E92. Should have asked this question before. Live and learn.
Yes, that is my understanding. There is a very rare (rough road or something like that) option package on coupes (see realoem.com) that fits sedan non sport springs to a coupe. I don't even think it was available in the US but it is listed on realoem.

edit: before you do anything you should see if you can get under your car and read the "D" code off the springs. Should be on little tabs or printed on the springs. Like D7 in front and D3 in back. Sport springs are D code springs, and the number reflects the weight of option packages on the car to get similar ride heights across all cars. D7 off a heavier car than D6 etc.
Appreciate 0