E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Question about M3 control arms and tension struts

12-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Question about M3 control arms and tension struts

Hello all. I am thinking about DIY front M3 arms and have a question about the resulting alignment. After installing the arms does it have more toe in or more toe out? I am guessing toe in given the knuckle was moved further out and the tie rod length stayed the same, but I am not sure. Any idea of a rough amount to adjust the rods so I can drive it to the shop from my place? It is about 10 miles. I assume that if I lengthen or shorten each rod the same amount of turns after install the car should be driveable.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Hello all. I am thinking about DIY front M3 arms and have a question about the resulting alignment. After installing the arms does it have more toe in or more toe out? I am guessing toe in given the knuckle was moved further out and the tie rod length stayed the same, but I am not sure. Any idea of a rough amount to adjust the rods so I can drive it to the shop from my place? It is about 10 miles. I assume that if I lengthen or shorten each rod the same amount of turns after install the car should be driveable.
Just eyeball it kinda straight and drive to the shop. You're not going to do serious damage in 10 miles if it's "eyeball straight".
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Like Dallas said if you eyeball it and get it to an alignment shop rather quickly you should be alright!

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Like Dallas said if you eyeball it and get it to an alignment shop rather quickly you should be alright!

-Mike
That was the plan, but I have heard people say that car "undriveable" after install so I figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone had some advice.

thanks!
Appreciate 0