F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > iPod issues
ARMA SPEED

12-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

iPod issues

When playing my ipod using the 'Y' shaped lead, if I switch the car off and then come back to it a few mins later there is no sound coming from the ipod even though it's playing, the only way to fix this is to change source

So change to radio then immediately change back to ipod, it then works fine

It does this more often than not but not every time

Anyone else have the same problem or have a fix for it ?

Never did this is any other BMW's I've had it installed in so don't believe it's the iPod
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
When playing my ipod using the 'Y' shaped lead, if I switch the car off and then come back to it a few mins later there is no sound coming from the ipod even though it's playing, the only way to fix this is to change source

So change to radio then immediately change back to ipod, it then works fine

It does this more often than not but not every time

Anyone else have the same problem or have a fix for it ?

Never did this is any other BMW's I've had it installed in so don't believe it's the iPod
I used to have issues with the Y cable on my E92 (mostly the ipod would keep playing after I turned the car off), but I don't use the Y cable in the F30, I'm using the Apple cable and it works perfectly fine, when you switch off it pauses the ipod and replays from where you left off when you return, are you able to try that instead?
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

I thought you needed the proper BMW cable to get full integration with idrive ?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d F31 M Sport

Quote:
Depends on your options and model year I think. My MY2014 F31 with pro media is fully integrated with my iphone4s using the standard USB/30-pin sync cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think you just need to spec the EBT option, the Apple Cable is fully integrated with iDrive, more so if you have Professional Multimedia as that cable is required for the Apps to work over iDrive (ie if you connect up an iPhone). iPods only deal with the music elements obviously, but you should get album art, playlist etc.. when using the Apple Cable (if you have EBT).

Here's a post which explains in a bit more detail on the two different cables,it's more related to the iPhone but you get the drift anyway:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758533

For info, I use both a Lightening Cable for my iPhone 5 and the older Apple Cable for an iPod Classic, both work perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I don't have the ebt on my June 2013 F31 but use Classic iPod in the armrest with the Apple cable and get album art
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtco View Post
I don't have the ebt on my June 2013 F31 but use Classic iPod in the armrest with the Apple cable and get album art
I think you either need EBT or Pro Nav for this to work. Well, I hope so as I've just ordered my no Nav car with EBT for this reason...
      12-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't have EBT, I don't even know what it is

I also only have Business Nav

If I just unplug the 3.5mm jack from the Y cable this would in effect be the same as an Apple lead, Apple connector to USB basically

I don't think that will fix it but I'll give it a try
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Mine has pro nav so that may be be the difference
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll try the Apple lead only tomorrow, from previous BMW's I've had which did all have Pro Nav you had to use the Y lead or you couldn't take control of the ipod with idrive

Maybe the tech has changed
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'll try the Apple lead only tomorrow, from previous BMW's I've had which did all have Pro Nav you had to use the Y lead or you couldn't take control of the ipod with idrive

Maybe the tech has changed
You will just have to give it a try, I had Pro Multimedia on my previous E92 and I couldn't use the Apple Cable for my iPod, had to be a Y Cable. But now it works fine, it will depend on the options you have, the main difference being the audio transfer is occuring via analogue signal on the Y Cable (via the Jack Plug), so the iPod is converting the stored digital music files into analogue to be played through idrive, whereas with an Apple Cable, the audio transfer happens digitally through the USB port and is then decoded by idrive (there is a combox decoder somewhere), but to get that I'm sure you need the Enhanced Bluetooth/USB Interface option, just try it and see, let us know
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #12
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

I tried unplugging the jack on the Y cable, music cut out, tried unplugging USB cable, music cut out

So you definitely need both parts of the Y cable connected to play music

I don't have advanced blue tooth option, how does Bluetooth in anyway help the ipod which is hard wired ?

I will try the Apple cable tomorrow, used other car this morning
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #13
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d F31 M Sport

Quote:
I tried unplugging the jack on the Y cable, music cut out, tried unplugging USB cable, music cut out

So you definitely need both parts of the Y cable connected to play music

I don't have advanced blue tooth option, how does Bluetooth in anyway help the ipod which is hard wired ?

I will try the Apple cable tomorrow, used other car this morning
Basically, if you have Enhanced Bluetooth option or Pro Nav, you have a combox which allows you to use the standard usb cable (and not the Y cable).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #14
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the reply

I don't have Pro Nav or Enhanced Bluetooth so I'm probably wasting my time
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #15
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

Have you had your cars software recently updated as my cars USB port would not recognise my iPod, USB stick or the wifes iPhone after a recent update. The devices would charge though. I had to wait a few weeks for another update which cured mine.

If you find it is your y cable get one from Amazon at £8.00 rather than £40 something for a BMW cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

It works but when the car has been switched off I invariably have to change sources so toggle onto radio then back to media and it starts playing again, if you look at the song timer it is playing when you first start the car but no sound comes out

I may try a new Y lead but I cant see it being that, it's a software bug of some kind I think. Never had this problem on any other BMW with ipod and Pro Nav and I've had a few
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

My wife had this same sort of problem in her car with her iPod.

After trying pretty much everything it was resolved by turning the iPod off and back on. Spent a fortune on new cables etc for nothing!
      12-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep I have already tried that, normally the tried and tested fix for any IT

No joy though
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
I'm sure you need the Enhanced Bluetooth/USB Interface option, just try it and see, let us know
Hi d4springer, my Bluetooth kept playing up transferring music the other day so went into a BMW to get an iPhone 5 dock.. I remembered your talk from another thread about the Media/Connect dock stations, so I briefed the parts guy and he got the technical info out on his system. They're are basically exactly the same, except they work for different vehicles.. On inputting my chassis, the system specced out the connect for me..

Anyway thought I would let you know.. It works pretty well, and has a a fan to cool the iphone, how cool is that? i followed your instructions on how to get messages and emails to pop up on the screen, and it worked pretty well, SO just wanted to say thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #20
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA View Post
Hi d4springer, my Bluetooth kept playing up transferring music the other day so went into a BMW to get an iPhone 5 dock.. I remembered your talk from another thread about the Media/Connect dock stations, so I briefed the parts guy and he got the technical info out on his system. They're are basically exactly the same, except they work for different vehicles.. On inputting my chassis, the system specced out the connect for me..

Anyway thought I would let you know.. It works pretty well, and has a a fan to cool the iphone, how cool is that? i followed your instructions on how to get messages and emails to pop up on the screen, and it worked pretty well, SO just wanted to say thank you
Excellent! think I may have to get the connect version and try it out myself, my local parts guys tried it in the showroom cars and they couldn't get it to do anything except charge the phone, however thinking about it, these are the same guys who told me you need to plug your phone into the car to get idrive on the internet for the online portal, web browser etc... Based on that they maybe didn't know what they where doing, so I'll just have to get one myself and try it out.

The processor must be getting worked pretty well when the iPhone is conected up and running BMW Apps, just been driving from Fife to Glasgow and had my phone wired up, it was already fully charged before I set off and I wasn't using it for music, but I did launch the BMW ConnectedDrive App, when I arrived and unplugged the iPhone it was very warm, maybe they fitted a fan for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #21
jayakrishnanv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340d

Garage List
hi please give this a trial its working fine for me with my iPhone. I don't have nag or enhanced bluetooth. So i have 20GB music in my 32GB iPhone5. i connect it using the y-cable supplied by the dealer.

1. Like what you are doing i get into the car and plug the iPhone inside the glovebox to the end of the y-cable with the iphone5 charger converter.

2. Start the engine and the press the power or volume button of the radio to switch off the 'mute' option which i did when i switched off and parked the car earlier and the songs start playing from the track where it was muted and also with the volume level it was set at that time of pausing.

3. Once i reach the destination. I will again mute the audio and disconnect the phone and get out of the car.

What i have noticed by doing so is the songs are automatically played from where it stopped. No issue of the volume going low and then you will have to manually bring the volume upto the level you wanted. This was an issue in our F20 and with a lot of trial and error me and my wife found this is the only way to make it work and this is working fine in the F30 as well. Mute is making the system to retain the volume level and also remembering the track position. Its weird but its how its behaving at least in our cars.