E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tint Ticket, options...

12-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
hickoryE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E92 335i

Tint Ticket, options...

Before you say trust me I have and nothing really lined up with what I'm looking to understand… So first some background:

I was heading back from dinner last night and theres a mini-tunnel type thing and I accelerated through the tunnel to hear the exhaust reverberate (Im sure many of you would understand the fun in this) and then went back down to the speed limit. A cop must have been close enough behind me in traffic to hear me (Straight-piped) and began following me. I noticed this and got into the right hand lane. Sure enough he follows me and long story short gives me a ticket. Says that he wasn't gonna get me for speeding because he didn't clock me so wrote me a ticket for tint, which is fair because my windows are illegal and I knew this. However, it does mention on the ticket that my speed was about 60 (in a 45).

So, my options. He basically said to remove the tint and go to court with proof and I was still rustled from getting a ticket that I didn't think to ask the questions I should have but what constitutes proof? From reading around some people say pictures, some say an officer has to sign off on it.

Also, the fine was $50 but court costs say $240 for a total of $290… he said it would be dropped if i remove tint and have proof but wouldn't I still have to pay the $240 court costs? If thats the case then ill pay another $50 to not have to remove my tint.

Basically I'm trying to look for the easiest and cheapest way to get rid of this ticket and continue life with tinted windows. Even if I remove them, get it fixed, I'm going to go right ahead and put illegal tint again (Save your lecture, it is worth the hassle for me… I've gone 6 years with no tint tickets). So I'm trying to see if there is an easier way to go about this.

Thanks in advance,
A

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
westchester335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sour Diesel and Haze

Here in NY if you remove it within 24 hours it gets dismissed. It should be the same in NC. If you know anyone with a shop they can "help" you out.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Pay up, or remove tint.

there is a ticket charge and a court surcharge you would have to pay. 240 is steep but i would check and see how much that surcharge is again.

here in ny is a 24 hour turn around. pretty short, so i paid mine and kept them on. hoping for no more issues. not much you can do unless you know a cop that can waive the ticket. Some courts also accept receipts, showing that you paid to have them removed, but again that some courts.

12.0 @ 117
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

In N.J, having your front windows tinted gives the police an excuse to pull you over. Not worth it in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
shepard10
First class N55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

fake invoice. my guy that tints my windows will do it. Ask whoever did yours. Im sure they have done it before

BMW | BURGER TUNING | VALENTINE | VMR | VREDESTEIN | BILLY BOAT | FESLER BUILT | FILM DYNAMICS |
Instagram: colarbear
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98044295@N08/
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
J38
BMW Addict
Rep
Drives: '11 X5

I was standing in Carthage, NC when an officer walked out of court to check the windows. The guy asked what he would've done if they hadn't driven it, the officer said they wouldn't have dropped it.

My advice? De- tint take and print pictures, and take the car to court just in case Hickory is as bad as Moore County.

--J
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Not sure about NC, but some times the court fees are not waived on a ticket like this, yes they drop the $50 but you still may have to pay the court fees which suck in my opinion. I think you need to look up the requirements in NC on fixit ticket like this since every state is different some just require proof it was done others require and officer to sign off it was done and other require it to be brought to court. Knowing a little bit about NC, the judge could be a pain about it and want to see it himself.

Last edited by Maestro; 12-09-2013 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Go back to the tint shop and have them print off a receipt for tint removal. I have done this in the past. Tint tickets aren't a huge deal, these officers deal with much more serious crimes than that.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryE92 View Post
Before you say trust me I have and nothing really lined up with what I'm looking to understand… So first some background:

I was heading back from dinner last night and theres a mini-tunnel type thing and I accelerated through the tunnel to hear the exhaust reverberate (Im sure many of you would understand the fun in this) and then went back down to the speed limit. A cop must have been close enough behind me in traffic to hear me (Straight-piped) and began following me. I noticed this and got into the right hand lane. Sure enough he follows me and long story short gives me a ticket. Says that he wasn't gonna get me for speeding because he didn't clock me so wrote me a ticket for tint, which is fair because my windows are illegal and I knew this. However, it does mention on the ticket that my speed was about 60 (in a 45).

So, my options. He basically said to remove the tint and go to court with proof and I was still rustled from getting a ticket that I didn't think to ask the questions I should have but what constitutes proof? From reading around some people say pictures, some say an officer has to sign off on it.

Also, the fine was $50 but court costs say $240 for a total of $290… he said it would be dropped if i remove tint and have proof but wouldn't I still have to pay the $240 court costs? If thats the case then ill pay another $50 to not have to remove my tint.

Basically I'm trying to look for the easiest and cheapest way to get rid of this ticket and continue life with tinted windows. Even if I remove them, get it fixed, I'm going to go right ahead and put illegal tint again (Save your lecture, it is worth the hassle for me… I've gone 6 years with no tint tickets). So I'm trying to see if there is an easier way to go about this.

Thanks in advance,
A
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

If the police are required sign it off this may work. Open the sun roof and passenger side windows. This will cause the tinted window to look as if they are not tinted. Most look at it from a distance so they assume it is corrected. I can attest this worked for me once.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

240 seems high for a court cost. I would just keep the tints and mail the ticket in.
      12-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Show us your tints.

Wait, that didnt come out right....

Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Keep it and pay the fine, thats what most of us do. BUT i will say that my window tint went on my record as driving vehicle in unsafe cond. and actually affected my insurance eventho it was a non moving violation.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
IDK about any other states, but here in PA when I got a tint ticket - I had 10 days to bring the car back to the police station in person, & have an officer look at the car for proof before they would dismiss the ticket

It sure wasn't the amount you got nailed for though...

I did remove the tint & never reapplied - just more of a hassle then it's worth. I can fully understand the reasons for the law - especially in high crime areas
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

I feel you OP. If I had to remove my tint, I'd just go back to the tint shop and get it in 20% again. 35% are simply useless here in SoCal. Hope you weren't rolling in limo tint though. You're just asking for trouble there!
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
IDK about any other states, but here in PA when I got a tint ticket - I had 10 days to bring the car back to the police station in person, & have an officer look at the car for proof before they would dismiss the ticket

It sure wasn't the amount you got nailed for though...

I did remove the tint & never reapplied - just more of a hassle then it's worth. I can fully understand the reasons for the law - especially in high crime areas

And this is in a state which really does not have a specific tint law. They either ticket you under a PA law which say the car is not allow to be modified from factory original, or treat it as obstruction of view, see attached law on page 3. PA does not have a specific traffic law on amount of tint like many states. But they do harass people about it.

http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotform.../chapter45.pdf

and here is person who did lots of research on the subject.

http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/

Last edited by Maestro; 12-09-2013 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
Eugeinus
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' Audi A6

Gotta pay, to play.
      12-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugeinus View Post
Gotta pay, to play.
or abide by the law and save a lot of dough and aggravation.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
hickoryE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
In N.J, having your front windows tinted gives the police an excuse to pull you over. Not worth it in my opinion.
In NC tint is a secondary offense, so normally they'll pull you for a primary offense (in this case I was speeding) and then tag on the tint. Luckily, he decided to only write the ticket for tint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J38 View Post
I was standing in Carthage, NC when an officer walked out of court to check the windows. The guy asked what he would've done if they hadn't driven it, the officer said they wouldn't have dropped it.

My advice? De- tint take and print pictures, and take the car to court just in case Hickory is as bad as Moore County.

--J
Yeah, originally I planned on either taking pictures of a similar 335i haha or getting a receipt saying I removed the tint and keeping the tints on and driving my friend's car to court but I suppose that won't work all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Not sure about NC, but some times the court fees are not waived on a ticket like this, yes they drop the $50 but you still may have to pay the court fees which suck in my opinion. I think you need to look up the requirements in NC on fixit ticket like this since every state is different some just require proof it was done others require and officer to sign off it was done and other require it to be brought to court. Knowing a little bit about NC, the judge could be a pain about it and want to see it himself.
Yeah, it says "Amount of fine/penalty = $50 and Court costs = $240" If I can only get the fine waived then f*** that… ill pay $50 to not have to remove my tint. Like they say… gotta pay to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
You act like you proved a point? I included this so people like you wouldn't bicker about how it was illegal and I deserve this. I understand that… I also think it is worth the hassle to have the tints. That is my OPINION. This is also the first hassle that tint has caused me so for where I live it doesn't seem to be much of a concern to cops… just an easy tag-on for tickets. Normally, I'm very aware of my surroundings but it was late at night and I was tired and not as aware as I usually am…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
If the police are required sign it off this may work. Open the sun roof and passenger side windows. This will cause the tinted window to look as if they are not tinted. Most look at it from a distance so they assume it is corrected. I can attest this worked for me once.
I wish this would work, but it metered at 6% so I don't think they would look untinted. This would work if it was 35% or maybe even 20%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
I feel you OP. If I had to remove my tint, I'd just go back to the tint shop and get it in 20% again. 35% are simply useless here in SoCal. Hope you weren't rolling in limo tint though. You're just asking for trouble there!
6% lol…. its limo. So yes, I was asking for it but in my experience NC cops are extremely lackadaisical about worrying about tint. I think its the combination of a straight piped BMW accelerating through a tunnel and he saw it as an easy ticket once he saw the windows.

Thank you all for the help though. Sounds like the most logical thing to do is just pay the fine and keep my tint on since regardless of what happens I'm going to end up with tint on my car. Gunna talk to a lawyer to make sure the $240 can't be waived and if thats the case I'll pay up, if it somehow can be waived I guess I'll look into the options you guys mentioned (removal receipt or pictures). Unfortunately this takes a chunk out of my coilovers fund. Thanks again for the advice, this is why I love this forum.

-A

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Didnt prove any point. Don't you think the highlighted statement looks ridiculous. You got a ticket that you know you deserved....you were basically asking for trouble in the name of vanity. I couldnt care any less...just think its humorous.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
BigFoig
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335is

If you're close with your family doctor. Ask him to write you a medical note saying you're sensitive to the sun. So you require tints.

That's pretty legit excuse for tints in a no tint state.

That's how some people get windshield tints in Ontario. (you can tint in ontaro, just no windshield)

I personally have 15% ceramic tint all around and a 80% lumar blue tint on the front windshield. Helps a lot in the summer in keep the heat down and it doesn't feel like the sun is burning you skin off when exposed to the front windshield light,.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Didnt prove any point. Don't you think the highlighted statement looks ridiculous. You got a ticket that you know you deserved....you were basically asking for trouble in the name of vanity. I couldnt care any less...just think its humorous.
+1. Another WTF thread......

All we are missing is a thread like:
"I like to mow down small children in parking lots. Got caught, and have 15 life sentences. How can I get out of this, and get back to doing what I love.... mowing down small children?"
Appreciate 0