E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Road debris claims d/s headlight cover - your thoughts

12-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
PascalsWager
Cognitive
Rep
Drives: '06 330i TiAg

Road debris claims d/s headlight cover - your thoughts

PIC:

Note the cracks - I forgot to take a full carnage pic and this is my packaging-tape sealoff job until it can be replaced. Nevermind the dirty bumper and bug carcasses.

So, some idiot driver swerves into the middle suicide lane in front of me, kicks up a piece of something, and this is the result

A few questions

1) Best place to get a used replacement? Or cheapest new? (already posted in f/s and local forum)

2) Is there a better way to ensure a water-tight seal aside from hoping my tape-job can hold?

3) can I just replace the plastic cover? I hear they are hard to separate for those modding them....so my guess is no...

4) There is also a scratch on the bumper....is it worth an insurance claim with a $500 deductible?

Thanks crew

-PW

Last edited by PascalsWager; 12-06-2013 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Added a question
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Art818
Sleeper (;
Rep
Drives: Glendale

Cheapest is a BMW Junk yard..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
PascalsWager
Cognitive
Rep

I feel like I can find the part and replace it without an insurance claim...I doubt they would respray the whole bumper to cure a small 1"-2" related scratch and indentation; so if I don't get that done the cost/benefit of the claim its not worth doing really.

ebay and c-p.com show <$600 OEM options.

Can anyone confirm if all pre-lci e90 adaptive xenon's are the same? I assume the pn's are identical.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
PascalsWager
Cognitive
Rep

Bump for weekday crew views
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalsWager View Post
I feel like I can find the part and replace it without an insurance claim...I doubt they would respray the whole bumper to cure a small 1"-2" related scratch and indentation; so if I don't get that done the cost/benefit of the claim its not worth doing really.

ebay and c-p.com show <$600 OEM options.

Can anyone confirm if all pre-lci e90 adaptive xenon's are the same? I assume the pn's are identical.
Yes, all pre-lci E90 adaptive Xenon's are the same. You should be able to salvage your bulbs/ballast from the damaged assembly and swap them to the new one. That'll save you $150-$200 there. When my passenger headlight was damaged by a woman backing into me I just purchased one on eBay for about $400 and installed myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

Might want to get protective 3M or X-pel covers on them. I put them on mine and every BMW before this one just to keep that from happening. It works hit a huge truck tire and put a huge black mark across my headlight (glass) with 3M and that was it, no break and the hit was huge took my grill and fog light out...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
PascalsWager
Cognitive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Might want to get protective 3M or X-pel covers on them. I put them on mine and every BMW before this one just to keep that from happening. It works hit a huge truck tire and put a huge black mark across my headlight (glass) with 3M and that was it, no break and the hit was huge took my grill and fog light out...
Very good idea! I was going to clean up the fogs and passenger side light with some wetsanding/polish/seal so all looks uniform, but a film may be a good idea, too. At least it would prevent my clear-packing tape cover in use right now.

I just hope moisture doesn't destroy my bulbs/electric while I wait for a new one to arrive... Should I go ahead and disable the light and simply stick to daylight driving?

Thanks for the replies

-PW
Appreciate 0