E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 54C8 Classification Resistor ( Is this a future or common problem )

12-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Strictly4Boosting
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Bmw 330xi

54C8 Classification Resistor ( Is this a future or common problem )

2006 Bmw 330XI E90 124k

So basically I bought the car at a real good price since it was a repossession.

First thing i noticed was that the 4WD , ABS, BRAKE Light are all on.

I got a code for the actuator , so I went ahead and replaced the actuator with the resistor. Now I get a 54C8 code. I then went ahead and flushed the transfercase oil, my mechanic said he did not see any signs or smell of a burnt transfercase.

Still no luck, tried clearing with all type of scanners, ( Snap On , Autotel ) no luck at all.

3 mechanics tell me take it to the dealership

Basically one out of the 3 mechanics told me that the transfer case needs to be calibrated. ( Whatever that means ) only the dealer can do it.

So I went ahead and made an appointment for Wednesday the 11th. They are charging me $135 for a diagnostic. So I'm hoping that I get my answer. Has anyone have this go with them? Or is this something that I came upon, because every post I search everyone has between 60k to 100k and changed actuators and we're good to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 11:28 PM   #2
ucdbiendog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

did you ever get this resolved? I am having transfer case issues, thought it was the actuator, replaced that, and problems persist. when i went for a test drive the third time after resetting the transfer case, there were some awful grinding sounds, so thinking the transfer case is grenaded.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi s4 lol!

Any time you change tcase fluid, you need to reset tcase adaptations.
Your mech is right when they suggested to go to BMW to do the adaptation reset.
Though, that alone may not necessarily throw any codes. Are you still getting warning lights on the dash?

It'll be worth the dealer diagnosis. Plus, if they diagnose incorrectly, they warranty their work and continue fixing the car.
Appreciate 0