E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Camber

12-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Camber

Hi, can someone tell me what a good range to keep negative camber in and what the stock camber is at?

Reason I'm asking, is because my mechanic told me that I've got too much negative camber both front and rear to the point where the inside tread on my tires is almost gone already. The tires are only a year old. I am lowered on KW V1s and running 225/40R-18.

I'd appreciate if someone can teach me about this, as I'm not familiar with this and I love learning about the car. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
BMW designed its cars to have negative camber man, it's the TOE that really determines how fast your tires wear off. The max camber in the rear is only about -2.7 and that's not a whole lot IMO.
      12-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamazaho View Post
BMW designed its cars to have negative camber man, it's the TOE that really determines how fast your tires wear off. The max camber in the rear is only about -2.7 and that's not a whole lot IMO.
How can I find out how much negative camber I have? If it's within an acceptable range, then I'll just leave it. However, my mechanic, works at Ticher, recommended getting camber plates or control arms. So, I figured I was outside of an acceptable range.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
How can I find out how much negative camber I have? If it's within an acceptable range, then I'll just leave it. However, my mechanic, works at Ticher, recommended getting camber plates or control arms. So, I figured I was outside of an acceptable range.
Camber plates are for MORE CAMBER not to reduce it, find out your camber by having your car get on the alignment machine man.
      12-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamazaho View Post
Camber plates are for MORE CAMBER not to reduce it, find out your camber by having your car get on the alignment machine man.
Thanks a lot man. I was actually going to do an alignment soon. I don't want my tires to wear unevenly.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
Hi, can someone tell me what a good range to keep negative camber in and what the stock camber is at?

Reason I'm asking, is because my mechanic told me that I've got too much negative camber both front and rear to the point where the inside tread on my tires is almost gone already. The tires are only a year old. I am lowered on KW V1s and running 225/40R-18.

I'd appreciate if someone can teach me about this, as I'm not familiar with this and I love learning about the car. Thanks.

View THIS

Yes, your neg camber is too high. HERE is a handy Internet based guide to E9x alignment specifications.

Stock suspension components have adjustable Toe and Camber. If you're lowered much more than 3/4" below Sport suspension ride height, you likely got trouble.

Solutions:
[1] Don't leave the performance envelope. Overly lowered may satisfy your feminine side; ain't gonna perform. Raise your ride.

[2] Camber plates for the front end may reduce neg camber to a reasonable degree, say -1.5°. I run -2.5° when superb handling's desired, but there's a price to pay. -0.7° is very safe; stockish.

[3] Rear adjustable suspension arms. Megan is your vendor of choice - look 'em up and give 'em a call!

Name:  Mechanic 01 [20].jpg
Views: 551
Size:  9.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Yes, your neg camber is too high.
did he post his alignment specs already? how do you know his negative camber is too high? It's probably a bit high in the rear, but the front usually isn't bad on these cars. Toe settings are usually more critical.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Here is the deal. When you slam a car you are automatically giving it a considerable amount of negative camber. Even race car drivers (for sport class) will have their rear camber dialed in at NO MORE than -1.8*. Anything more than that is pointless and hurts the car in obtaining grip coming out of corners.

With that being said you can NEVER have enough camber in the front to be honest. Some people say best is _____ but in all honest I max out my camber plates at all times. I really don't wear tires too quickly because I am not an aggressive street driver.

Hope that is some food for thought.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
View THIS

Yes, your neg camber is too high. HERE is a handy Internet based guide to E9x alignment specifications.

Stock suspension components have adjustable Toe and Camber. If you're lowered much more than 3/4" below Sport suspension ride height, you likely got trouble.

Solutions:
[1] Don't leave the performance envelope. Overly lowered may satisfy your feminine side; ain't gonna perform. Raise your ride.

[2] Camber plates for the front end may reduce neg camber to a reasonable degree, say -1.5°. I run -2.5° when superb handling's desired, but there's a price to pay. -0.7° is very safe; stockish.

[3] Rear adjustable suspension arms. Megan is your vendor of choice - look 'em up and give 'em a call!

Attachment 949190
Very informative. The reason I got the KWs in the first place was because my stock suspension finally gave out. As of right now, I can stick both my hands, stacked on top of each other, between the rear fender and the top of the tire. The front has a bit more space. BTW, just wanted to add that I have an xi.

I'm gonna get an alignment ASAP and find out what specs I'm currently at. Based on your solutions, I'll most likely just raise it as I'm going to turn this set into a winter setup.

I just bought a set of 19s. Based on what I've read on the forums here, these two setups are pretty common and well liked.

• 19x8.5 5x120 ET32 | 225/35-19 Front or 235/35-19 Front

• 19x10 5x120 ET38 | 265/30-19 Rear or 275/30-19

You can call me a spirited driver, but not overly aggressive. Before getting the KWs, my Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires lasted for quite awhile. I want to keep the camber street friendly, as I do not track the car at all and don't plan to.

I'll post up the alignment spec sheet whenever I get it done. Hopefully next week. Thanks to all for the info, I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
did he post his alignment specs already? how do you know his negative camber is too high? It's probably a bit high in the rear, but the front usually isn't bad on these cars. Toe settings are usually more critical.

Toe's important, but I assumed it was adjusted good and thrust angle was zero.

Prob an over-reach, but hey. Lowered rides are all about camber - toe's easily fixed.
Appreciate 0