E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E90 Alignment settings have changed after only 2 weeks

11-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
magico
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i BSM ZSP 6MT

E90 Alignment settings have changed after only 2 weeks

About 2 weeks ago I had new rubber put on my winter rims and since the car hasn't had an alignment in a while, I figured it would be a good time to. My steering wheel was also no longer centred to drive straight.

I got the alignment done, but forgot to ask for the print out. Anyway, drove off and later realized my steering wheel was still off centre. So I went back to fix it (now 2 weeks later) and had them give me a printout after they re-aligned the wheels.

The first thing I noticed was how different the before & after were. So now I'm thinking - a) did they even perform an alignment the first time? or b) is my suspension shot to the point where it gets out of whack in 2 weeks. I've eliminated c) they entered non-sport suspension into the machine the first time, because the front left and right angle are very different.

I've an E90 325i sport package. I had the car up on a hoist about 4 weeks ago, and there were no signs of leaky bushings. My front passenger strut had leaked a bit of fluid at one point. Not sure if the strut could cause misalignment and that 0.39 reading.

Just wondering if the latest settings look accurate? And any ideas as to why the before and after are so different? Thanks
Attached Images

11-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
I've seen the same thing happen in my car. I think two things are happening:

1. The bolts that keep the steering rack fixed to the subframe have stretched/loosened.
2. The strut tower bolts have stretched/loosened.

Do you have the alignment pins knocked out?
      11-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by magico View Post
About 2 weeks ago I had new rubber put on my winter rims and since the car hasn't had an alignment in a while, I figured it would be a good time to. My steering wheel was also no longer centred to drive straight.

I got the alignment done, but forgot to ask for the print out. Anyway, drove off and later realized my steering wheel was still off centre. So I went back to fix it (now 2 weeks later) and had them give me a printout after they re-aligned the wheels.

The first thing I noticed was how different the before & after were. So now I'm thinking - a) did they even perform an alignment the first time? or b) is my suspension shot to the point where it gets out of whack in 2 weeks. I've eliminated c) they entered non-sport suspension into the machine the first time, because the front left and right angle are very different.

They did a CRAP JOB the first time. Any alignment tech knows the steering wheel's centered when the job's complete. Zero thrust angle too.

Hope you didn't pay twice!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
magico
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i BSM ZSP 6MT

Sure didn't pay twice. Hope the alignment holds up though. I don't want to wear out the new tires

I'll check the alignment pin tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's still in

Anyone have the official specs on e90 sport package to compare to? I've seen a couple different printouts from people

EDIT: Alignment pins are in

Last edited by magico; 11-27-2013 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0