F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bmw 316i Sport or Volkswagen CC GT 2.0 diesel
Extreme Powerhouse
View Poll Results: Which is the better car?
BMW F30 316i sport (Alpine white with sun protection glass) 27 57.45%
Volkswagen CC GT 2.0 TDI 20 42.55%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

11-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
digitall.rebel
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 Saloon

Bmw 316i Sport or Volkswagen CC GT 2.0 diesel

Hi guys. Have been lurking in the forums for a few days and wanted to say hello. I am looking to get what will be my first car (25 years old). I have always loved BMWs and have wanted a 3 series for a long time. I think the F30 is the best 3 series yet.

However I recently looked at the VW CC GT which for the same price has got sat nav, xenon sand leather interior as standard. Due to cost I won't be able to specify those options on my new F30. Has anyone else been in this position? My heart says F30 but the brain says CC GT.

Would love to know what you guys think and which one you would go for
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
F30 Matt
England
Rep
Drives: F30 318D

I was in the same position as you. Sold my Defender for a good price and was torn between an F30 or the CC GT. I test drove both cars and have to say the F30 drives so much nicer than the CC. I was lucky to find an 18 month old 318d at a very good price.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Hmm, I have driven the 2.0GT engine in the Golfs and I must say I love them (many years ago I used to work for Enterprise Rent A Car) and we used to get into different cars daily, many VW's and BMWs, and I must say driving a BMW was always different! I have had about 18 bmw's in my life time. As much as i love driving VW's just wouldn't change the Beemer for it.

The Passat is comfortable, but was always boring! The CC is different, it has a coupe body to it which is nice. (4 seats btw, 3 series has 5) not sure if that matters

Last week I was given a 116i from the dealer as a loaner, (drive a 335d myself) it didn't feel sluggish at all (when you're considerate knowing you're driving a 116i) you could hear the turbo going.. I was not driving it calmly at all and averaged between 30-35mpg.

I guess being your first car, following your dreams and heart, you're too young to worry about the mind!

BM's have a better chance of adding subtle changes (modifications) which would keep the car looking fresh every now and then
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
digitall.rebel
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I have always heard good things about the way the 3 series drives. I am not sure how good it would be with a 1.6 litre petrol engine since that's the only one I can afford. I wonder how many 316i owners are on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

The F30 will be the fun car to drive and with that engine will be nice and light.
However, it depends what is important to you and trade off between the driving dynamics of an F30 against a higher spec'd VW. Only you can make that call.
But I cant help thinking a basic spec'd F30 wont feel as "special" as it should do.

For me, the driving dynamics come before the toys so I'd go with the F30.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Mr dopper above summed it up perfectly. The VW is a great car, but if you enjoy your driving the BMW will run rings around it.

Don't forget that the BMW petrol engine is now a turbo and the sport spec is a good one albeit without the extra tinsel of the VW.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

BMW! Of corse!

Simply worlds apart from VAG cars!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Anyway, this is a BMW forum, so what do you expect.

But, best of luck with whatever you go for.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
digitall.rebel
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA View Post
Hmm, I have driven the 2.0GT engine in the Golfs and I must say I love them (many years ago I used to work for Enterprise Rent A Car) and we used to get into different cars daily, many VW's and BMWs, and I must say driving a BMW was always different! I have had about 18 bmw's in my life time. As much as i love driving VW's just wouldn't change the Beemer for it.

The Passat is comfortable, but was always boring! The CC is different, it has a coupe body to it which is nice. (4 seats btw, 3 series has 5) not sure if that matters

Last week I was given a 116i from the dealer as a loaner, (drive a 335d myself) it didn't feel sluggish at all (when you're considerate knowing you're driving a 116i) you could hear the turbo going.. I was not driving it calmly at all and averaged between 30-35mpg.

I guess being your first car, following your dreams and heart, you're too young to worry about the mind!

BM's have a better chance of adding subtle changes (modifications) which would keep the car looking fresh every now and then
Thanks for that MWA. I am glad to hear that the 116i didn't feel underpowered as I think the 3 series uses the same engine. And the economy isn't bad either. Should be able to get 40 mpg if I drove economically.

The CC is basically a stretched passat so I'm guessing still boring. The only reason I am considering it is the equipment it has as standard.

I think you are right I should go with my heart. If only the BMW had leather interior as standard.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
digitall.rebel
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
The F30 will be the fun car to drive and with that engine will be nice and light.
However, it depends what is important to you and trade off between the driving dynamics of an F30 against a higher spec'd VW. Only you can make that call.
But I cant help thinking a basic spec'd F30 wont feel as "special" as it should do.

For me, the driving dynamics come before the toys so I'd go with the F30.
I too am wondering if a sport spec bmw will feel "executive". However I am not sure what the general feel of the VW interior is like even with the leather. With the BMW the only options I am thinking about getting are:

Sport model in Alpine white with
Sun protection glass
Brushed aluminum trim with corral red.
Extended interior lighting packs
Full black panel display
And might be able to stretch to a HK sound system (if base system is really rubbish)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

Will you be driving a lot of miles?
I presume the its a Passat CC 2.0 TDI 140 GT

The 316i will be in a different league in terms of handling, but its a petrol so in the real world will have to be worked hard to get the best from it and that will cost more to run than the Passat.

Its a tough one, but I like my diesels so I would go with the Passat.

If you could get a 318d then its an easy choice
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
digitall.rebel
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
Mr dopper above summed it up perfectly. The VW is a great car, but if you enjoy your driving the BMW will run rings around it.

Don't forget that the BMW petrol engine is now a turbo and the sport spec is a good one albeit without the extra tinsel of the VW.
Yes I know that it is a personal choice. I have my heart set on a 3 series but the cc gt looks better on paper. That is what make it difficult. If I could afford a 320D m sport with leather interior it would be a no brainer lol
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.213 View Post
Thanks for that MWA. I am glad to hear that the 116i didn't feel underpowered as I think the 3 series uses the same engine. And the economy isn't bad either. Should be able to get 40 mpg if I drove economically.

The CC is basically a stretched passat so I'm guessing still boring. The only reason I am considering it is the equipment it has as standard.

I think you are right I should go with my heart. If only the BMW had leather interior as standard.
Leather is standard on M Sport Models, on eBay you can get SE leather for around £500 and M Sport for around £900. Have no regrets for now but for the future you can always add it yourself, should get cheaper as time goes on...

Six months ago, I bought a Honda Civic for the wife, as her first Car, only because of the specs! It had panoramic roof, satnav, xenons, leather seats, Bluetooth etc... Loved the specs but there's was something about the gearbox the I-shift (semi auto), it drove like crap and in the end we've just sold it, couldn't live with it and now looking for another family hatchback which probably won't have any of the above specs, but as long as it drives good, who cares! And I think the BMW will give you that feel good factor

If you're only getting the Passat because of the spec, you're probably playing with fire, leather seats look good but not always comfortable, satnav good feature but how often do you use it? Xenons I agree, I love them to bits, but if you're driving mainly during the day, it shouldn't make a difference
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
digitall.rebel
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Anyway, this is a BMW forum, so what do you expect.

But, best of luck with whatever you go for.
Thank you. I think secretly maybe I want to be convinced that I should go with the 3 series. Maybe that's why I asked the question on a BMW forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defero View Post

I agree! Will save you money on the long run and will drive better too. Even of they do the 316d?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
martin4271
Captain Caveman
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport

Guy I work with ordered a new red CC GT, red custom interior and quite nice, its drives nice (that's it nice), all works well - basically dull. Then up turns my new F30 demonstrator and hey turns green. I drove both cars and the BMW is by far the better car. Depends what you want out of it. A practical, unremarkable car. Or something you can press the go pedal in and the smile comes on your face as the back end goes out.

Good luck with the choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
RobH72
Private
Rep
Drives: VW CC Gt

Hi, my last company car was a CC GT tdi...
I've not driven a 316 (mines the 330d) but the CC isn't a bad car, in fact was a better all rounder than the A6 and E220 I had prior to it.

The CC chassis is tuned for understeer at the limit, the steering is devoid of feel but the grip is hugely impressive. It can be hustled along surprisingly quickly but doesn't give the feedback you get from the BMW. It is noticeably quieter on the motorway and the standard equipment is fantastic. The nappa leather is lush, far better than in my 330d but build quality isn't as good.

It did nothing wrong in 3 yrs and 110,000 miles...

Comes down to kit and refinement vs driving dynamics, build quality and image I suppose
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
Im1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 520d se

Sat NAV is not an option u should bail on the BMW for . In my 330 d se I ditched that option in place of stuff that would make the drive better e.g adaptive suspension .

You will never 'love' the vw I suspect . The only option I would try and stretch for is the leather . This is an option u will regret not having after 1 year IMO
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.213 View Post
Thank you. I think secretly maybe I want to be convinced that I should go with the 3 series. Maybe that's why I asked the question on a BMW forum.
Try post this same question on a VW forum. They will prob tell you that the BMWs are overpriced, overrated and driven by di**ks!!!!!
The thing is, they have probably never driven one. simple as.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f31 335d estoril blue

Ive just sold my Passat CC and now have a 3 series, mine was a gt170 diesel and was a great car... The leather is top quality, it is nappa as standard but i have got to say the the sports seats are comfier on the Beemer. Drive wise as good a mile muncher as the VW was its not a patch on a 3 series.

For the toys, the VW does have alot, but bear in mind its an old platform now, the systems are moving on, the technology is not the same as an Audi, the Beemer is still in front even at the lower spec. the sat nav in the passat is ok but not the best one out there.

I think if want a Beemer you need to get it out of your system, go and test drive both, youll love the refinement of the passat, because it is a great car, but go round your first corner in the Beemer and I dont think you'll go back to VW.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
gasmonkey
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive M Sport

I, too, have just come from a CC to a f30. I had the 3.6GT which had a peach of an engine, but it understand that both the diesels are good too. If I'm honest, and this has been said above, you should test drive both. I had a ball with my last car and couldn't fault it, apart from some understeer. Toys are not a good comparator, but IMHO the engine is. I'm sure I'd rather be in a 2.0d than a 1.6 petrol. The new model CC has an option of five seats btw.

Happy hunting.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
digitall.rebel
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defero View Post

The 316i will be in a different league in terms of handling, but its a petrol so in the real world will have to be worked hard to get the best from it and that will cost more to run than the Passat.

Its a tough one, but I like my diesels so I would go with the Passat.

Fuel economy is important and the VW should don10-15 mpg more as it is a diesel. However I would be doing 10,000 miles a year (probably a lot less). The thing is that I am can hardly afford the 316i and the diesel is over 2,000 pounds more. It's between a 316i sport or a 316d ES. And the ES kit is way too basic.
Appreciate 0