E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > upper control arm bolt keeps snapping?

11-23-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
6BATMAN6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i m package

upper control arm bolt keeps snapping?

2010 e92 335i m sport mt

ok so as the title says, my rear passenger side upper (front) control arm where is attaches to the knuckle. that bolt snapped a few weeks ago slamming into second gear. in turn the strut bent ,tire rubbed through the rainguard, torn boot from control arm rubbing on it. sooooo since i had to replace the strut i just did full coilovers (kw v1s) and i replaced the control arm (oem) and the hardware (also oem) as well as the boot….now today i slam into second gear and pop ..same bolt snapped again. wth can this be?! the car was in an accident in the rear prior to me and idk what they did when replacing what but the only logical thing i can think of is bad bushings but could that really cause that much torque to hit that bolt so specifically ? also theres like 9 fing bushings down there ! anyone hae a clue onto which one to replace? any thought would be greatly appreciated, really bummed out
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
How bad was the accident? Sounds like something is really out of alignment between the front transmission and the rear differential. When you slam into 2nd there is a large shock introduced into the drivetrain which causes it to flex in the bushings, which if off could cause a failure.

My 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
6BATMAN6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i m package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko
How bad was the accident? Sounds like something is really out of alignment between the front transmission and the rear differential. When you slam into 2nd there is a large shock introduced into the drivetrain which causes it to flex in the bushings, which if off could cause a failure.

My 2 cents
The accident had to of been minor like under 1000 dollars in damage according to the carfax and yes all of those bushings are taking the shock but my thought is that bmw put 4 control arms down there .. Ide assume that the shock is distributed evenly through all of them.. But how is all that jolt and weight being thrown in that direction ? Thinking maybe they stressed the bushing on trailing arm
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6BATMAN6 View Post
The accident had to of been minor like under 1000 dollars in damage according to the carfax and yes all of those bushings are taking the shock but my thought is that bmw put 4 control arms down there .. Ide assume that the shock is distributed evenly through all of them.. But how is all that jolt and weight being thrown in that direction ? Thinking maybe they stressed the bushing on trailing arm

Poss subframe distortion - you're prob seeing why it was for sale.

You may be able to claim to one or the other's insurance if you can locate parties involved. Post result if you do!
Appreciate 0