E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear Sway Bushings?

11-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Rear Sway Bushings?

Disconnected both sway bar endlinks and wanted to try to rotate the rear sway bar but it wouldn't rotate. I go to look at the sway bar bushings and they are molded onto the sway bar and don't allow the rotation of the sway bar.

I have the m3 sway bar with m3 bushings. Is this how it is supposed to be that the bushings meld together with the bar or should it allow for free rotation of the bar. I replaced the bushings with urethane and so far it allows for rotation. So what is the consensus, rotation or no rotation of sway bar.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Nah it should be tight but allow it to rotate with enough force. The M3 bushings are 2-piece hard delrin type material, that are pretty hard to get on. They snap in place around the bar. In addition there is a tab inside the bracket that they have to be pressed into. I had a hell of a time getting it all together by hand with clamps. But in order for the susp to move up and down it has to rotate. Ie if you jack the car up from the center subframe near the diff, the wheels droop so it is rotating. It will only rotate if both wheels move same direction up or down same amount.
Appreciate 0