E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 Suspension Conversion Qs

11-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

M3 Suspension Conversion Qs

So I was talking with another enthusiast a few weeks ago about suspension setups and brands when the question to came to my mind about a conversion. I know it can be done and I want to do it. After doing toe and thrust arms and other items, would M3-specific coilovers be needed as opposed to regular 3er coilover setups?? I would like to know so I can plan accordingly when the time comes.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
So I was talking with another enthusiast a few weeks ago about suspension setups and brands when the question to came to my mind about a conversion. I know it can be done and I want to do it. After doing toe and thrust arms and other items, would M3-specific coilovers be needed as opposed to regular 3er coilover setups?? I would like to know so I can plan accordingly when the time comes.

Required: Shocks matched to your springs. Spring rate important. Talk to HP Autowerks and/or Ground Control.

I like Eibach's linear springs....nope, don't need BMW/M3 springs/shocks. Desperately need to replace stock non-M3 springs/shocks.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Why do you want OETuning ECU? JB4 tunes most of the fastest E9x.

Also, tuning magnefies deficiencies, maybe most egregious being the stock e-diff. An engineering exercise calculated to drive you mad, you're much better off with a real limited slip differential. Wavetrac and Quaife are the most recommended solutions, Wavetrac being a California company and lower cost the the European Quaife.

LSD as a first mechanical mod is highly recommended - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Don't use a strong rear sway without limited slip diff, or wheel hop will be your constant companion!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7
If you want a little more information, check out my build thread in my sig. I just completed my M3 suspension conversion.

Whether you get M3 or 335i style coilovers depends on how far you go with your M3 conversion. I.e. are you also swapping hubs? If so, you will need M3 style front shocks. Are you also swapping the rear lower camber links? If so, you will need M3 style rear shocks. If you do neither, then 335i shocks will work fine with all other M3 conversions.
      11-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Also, tuning magnefies deficiencies, maybe most egregious being the stock e-diff. An engineering exercise calculated to drive you mad, you're much better off with a real limited slip differential. Wavetrac and Quaife are the most recommended solutions, Wavetrac being a California company and lower cost the the European Quaife.

LSD as a first mechanical mod is highly recommended - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Don't use a strong rear sway without limited slip diff, or wheel hop will be your constant companion!
That's one of the things I'm looking in to mechanical-wise. I do want an LSD.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
If you want a little more information, check out my build thread in my sig. I just completed my M3 suspension conversion.

Whether you get M3 or 335i style coilovers depends on how far you go with your M3 conversion. I.e. are you also swapping hubs? If so, you will need M3 style front shocks. Are you also swapping the rear lower camber links? If so, you will need M3 style rear shocks. If you do neither, then 335i shocks will work fine with all other M3 conversions.
At this point I'm thinking a full-on conversion. Eventually I want to dump an S65 in place of my N51 when the engine dies.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

How does a stiffer rear sway bar contribute to wheel hop?
It will reduce rear end grip while cornering.