11-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

automatic parking feature would be clever

Hi all,

The I8 is a beauty in all the way, and if I had the money that would be the sport car I would get. But thinking a bit deeper at the door opening system, i would like to understand how people will deal with the doors when they park their i8 in a parking lot! Here in Europe the places in parking lot are very small and parking lot are mainly croweded. So when you will finally manage to find two free places in order to get out of your car, then you will need to pray once you get back to your car that no one has parked next to your car, or you won t be able to sit back in your i8.

My question: with all the tec the car has; connected drive, bmw app, parking assist, radar detector and top view, would it be possible to to have a feature that you may leave the car before it parks by itself?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Not sure about parking itself.

On the door issue, it seems that the way the doors on the i8 open will require less horizontal space next to an adjacent parked car, when compared to a regular 2 door coupe with conventional doors. Coupes have longer doors than sedans (usually, and particularly big GT style coupes).

I would love to see some photos of an i8 parked in a parking lot next to other cars and the doors open.

Also here in Florida at least, there's lots of space and I will probably do with the i8 what I do with the X6M. Namely, park at the back or further away from other cars in parking lots, and use only corner spots.

This assures only one car can park next to me and usually, unless they parked half way in my space, their door will be too far from my car to hit it. Another reason I park far away is shopping carts tend to roll around nearby the stores and always seem to hit random cars.

When going out on the town, it's worth to pay $20 to the valet to park your car (yourself) up front where there are usually very few cars. Plus I get to keep my key and no valets drive my car!
Appreciate 0