BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

10-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
US BMW Allocation's VIN and Ordering...a Primer

Hey guys/gals...don't worry and be happy. All the worry about US orders placed are likely mere rumors.

From my sales guy's (mil sales) info...NOONE in the US has "ordered" a car or picked out options yet. This is because the US spec vehicle is NOT in production....BMW NA hasn't even released yet along with the price. They expect that to occur in late Dec 07 or early 2008 (i.e. Jan 08). Cars that begin late Dec production will likely be spec US cars that will go to the Performance Center and other specialized arenas. Then dealer allocations will begin to flow into the system around the 1st of the year.

Remember the way it works for "ordered cars" is that BMW NA grants allocations specifically to its US dealer (based on size of the dealership, location, etc..etc). The dealer then contacts its customers (i.e. wait list/order list, prosepctive buyers, etc) to ask if they still want to proceede with their order, or would like to place on in the 1st place. THEN the official car gets assigned a production number which coincides with an actual VIN #. This IS the M3 that will actually very shortly enter enter into production (at which time depends again on the dealer's/country's allocations.) Remember different dealers have different allocations at different points/times in the production line thus the varied delivery dates and amts of cars out there or forcasted for those of you dealer hopping from place to place looking for a car. Anyway when the VIN is issued to the dealer from BMW NA and they contact you that's when your options and color are locked in...when you get a VIN # allocated. Then it's a few weeks (u can define few) until your car shows up in NA. Example For my 01 325xi (new car and 1st order at my local MD dealer back then); the car started production in Aug 01 and I had it late Nov 01 at the dealer as a thumbmeasure...granted it wasn't an M3 but hey ya gotta start somewhere.

So I'd chill and just wait for the dealer to call you and tell you he's got a VIN for you and needs to know what you want the M3 that will go with it to look like on the other end of production! Hope that helps soothe fears and inform.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

military sales might have good prices...but not always the best information.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
It kinda confirms what my local dealer is telling me too when I take my X5 in for service or something. they keep saying we have tons of folks on the list and asking when I am placing my order but no info on prices yet or options which they keep saying will come out in Dec or Jan which is what the earlier post today seems to confirm also.

The example I used of my 325xi order was from a local dealership NOT thru mil sales. We'll see...after all info is power and the more intel you get the better you know what is going on....at least in this situation it seems that most buyers have MORE intel than the dealerships they are seeking product from! LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Excuse me...the chassis # is issued then the VIN after it's almost thru production...I stand corrected....they are not one in the same although linked in BMW's system once the care is completed and ready for final finish and delivery.
Appreciate 0