E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Gas station car wash

12-11-2005, 12:07 AM   #1
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Gas station car wash

During the winter months do you think it will be ok on the Zaino wax on my car to take it though the touchless car washes?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Even if it ends up removing your wax (which will happen over time anyway) what choice do we really have? When it's too cold to hand wash the car we have to do something - and thank God for touchless washes. They don't get the car "clean" like a real wash, but at least they remove the grime and salt, etc.

The soaps are probably harsh, but a good pre-Winter wax will help and a thorough Spring cleaning and detailing...

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #3
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

carwash detergents are made to clean off dirty cars. since the owner of the car wasg doesnt know what type of cars will be coming n he doesnt know how dirty u're call will be. so u're getting the same high ph soap everyone with nasty paint is getting.

if u own a garage, i would look into QEW from PROTECTALL.

when used RIGHT, with 2 sheepskin mitts, two buckets, and 2 waffle weave towels, its u're best option...

not spamming but if u want better info go to detailcity.com or autopia.org and do a search on them.

the majority of them members there are using QEW as their wash regimen for these cold months and they have some of the nicest finishes u will see.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113
carwash detergents are made to clean off dirty cars. since the owner of the car wasg doesnt know what type of cars will be coming n he doesnt know how dirty u're call will be. so u're getting the same high ph soap everyone with nasty paint is getting.

if u own a garage, i would look into QEW from PROTECTALL.

when used RIGHT, with 2 sheepskin mitts, two buckets, and 2 waffle weave towels, its u're best option...

not spamming but if u want better info go to detailcity.com or autopia.org and do a search on them.

the majority of them members there are using QEW as their wash regimen for these cold months and they have some of the nicest finishes u will see.
I've tried QEW. Not a fan. It feels like I'm using plain old water to clean my paint. I'm sure some people, like it, and that's cool.

I personally go to the touchless wash at the gas station. Believe it or not the soap is not as harsh as you think. I have no scientific evidence to prove this though. All I have to do is look at my paint after I exit. There is always a very thin film of dirt left. If the soap was as strong as you think, it would get everything off. As a side note, don't dry your car after exiting the wash. You'll just end up rubbing the micorfilm of dirt around your paint and create swirls. Let it air dry. The water used at many washes is recycled, hence the water is soft (so no hard water spots to worry about).

As for Zaino, it is durable stuff. You'd be surprised to see that it will last through a winter's worth of touchless washes. It has for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
natalia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

I took mine to one of those touchless places today and there is some water spots now. Should I go out in this 35 degree weather and wash by hand? Or will be ok to wait til tomorrow to get rid of them? I have monaco blue.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

It should be ok. The water spots should go away next time you wash. If you aare really paranoid, you can try QD'ing the spots. But try not to rub. Try blotting the spots instead in order to avoid swirls.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5, '19 750i

I have used touch free a few times until I managed to screw up the entry into the wash once. I drove in with our at the time few months old A4 ultra sport (18" rims) and badly scratched both left rims. You would think this won't happen to you but after examining the rails on the wash I found that there is not much room for error with a big rim. Of course instead of rubber they have to make the rails (on this particular wash) out of steel so if there is contact those will tear into the aluminum like warm knife into butter. If your tire height is normal or you drive a truck than you will be fine but with sport rims you better be perfectly alligned.

So just watch out... have someone help you in.

I ended up getting compensated for 50% of my damage (each rim is around $900). It took me quite some time with Exxon to get at least that much back.

Other than that, the touch free is OK especially for thick dirt, but
the car won't ever be really clean and it leaves spots all over as well. I go for a hand wash if I have the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
I've tried QEW. Not a fan. It feels like I'm using plain old water to clean my paint. I'm sure some people, like it, and that's cool.

I personally go to the touchless wash at the gas station. Believe it or not the soap is not as harsh as you think. I have no scientific evidence to prove this though. All I have to do is look at my paint after I exit. There is always a very thin film of dirt left. If the soap was as strong as you think, it would get everything off. As a side note, don't dry your car after exiting the wash. You'll just end up rubbing the micorfilm of dirt around your paint and create swirls. Let it air dry. The water used at many washes is recycled, hence the water is soft (so no hard water spots to worry about).

As for Zaino, it is durable stuff. You'd be surprised to see that it will last through a winter's worth of touchless washes. It has for me.

like i said, its all about technique. which is why i gave links to detailing forums where they offer good instructions on how to safely use qew.

qew uses a formulagtion of lubricants and cleaners to disolve and soften dirt, better than car wash soap which mainly focus on lubricants and soaps to LIFT dirt. they both do two different things but they end in the same result.

a wise detailer once told me, u can have the best products in the world, but without knowledge or technique, u got nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2005, 09:26 AM   #9
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113
like i said, its all about technique. which is why i gave links to detailing forums where they offer good instructions on how to safely use qew.

qew uses a formulagtion of lubricants and cleaners to disolve and soften dirt, better than car wash soap which mainly focus on lubricants and soaps to LIFT dirt. they both do two different things but they end in the same result.

a wise detailer once told me, u can have the best products in the world, but without knowledge or technique, u got nothing.
The QEW craze was started on autopia by a 'pro' mobile detailer who is not setup to perform conventional hand washes from his car. In order to avoid paying the money to do it, he started using QEW. QEW is nothing more than a way to lower his costs. As for everyone using it on autopia and detail city, I wouldn't say that. There are just as many members who have used it (via the proper methods/technique you refer to) and have still gotten marring in their paint. The funny thing about autopia, most of the people who disagree with the popular posters don't post themselves for fear of being ostracized. So when you go and read over there, keep that in mind.

And yes, technique is important. But you can't remove swirls with pi$$, no matter how good your technique is.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2005, 10:01 AM   #10
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
The QEW craze was started on autopia by a 'pro' mobile detailer who is not setup to perform conventional hand washes from his car. In order to avoid paying the money to do it, he started using QEW. QEW is nothing more than a way to lower his costs. As for everyone using it on autopia and detail city, I wouldn't say that. There are just as many members who have used it (via the proper methods/technique you refer to) and have still gotten marring in their paint. The funny thing about autopia, most of the people who disagree with the popular posters don't post themselves for fear of being ostracized. So when you go and read over there, keep that in mind.

And yes, technique is important. But you can't remove swirls with pi$$, no matter how good your technique is.

autopia really isnt my place of posting. im really only big on read here on e90 and dc. but i post autopia as some will find its larger population helpful. but i prefer to stick to the more calm detailcity.

this isnt an excuse to forget about hose and bucket, but it is a solution when they are not available or not possible like in the colder climates.

ive found that getting a sprayer and presoaking the paint prior to using qew really helps.

collinite 845 is also very durable in the winter and states to be detergent safe so im sure that might also shield away the nasty chemicals in touchless washes...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #11
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
Have u tried the new touchless ROLLOVER car washes?
There are no rails. You just simply park your car in the middle of the wash, the doors close, and the washing machines move around your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #12
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedragon
Have u tried the new touchless ROLLOVER car washes?
There are no rails. You just simply park your car in the middle of the wash, the doors close, and the washing machines move around your car.
An Esso station close to me has a car wash like that, but I've never tried it.

Where else have you seen these washes located?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 11:10 AM   #13
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

I think all of them in Houston are like that
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #14
Big Foot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

I give up!!

I tried washing my car today on the driveway using warm water from the hose and a mitt.
Water still froze on the car and the driveway is a mess.
Used a whole bucket of deicer on the driveway and car still not really clean.
The wife is going to kill me.
I'm going to start using a touchless wash.
Probably Canadian Tire
I've got 7 coats of Zaino on it so hopefully it will last.
      01-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #15
ON325i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
i've been using touchless car wash a couple of times during winter. They are awesome and no "scratch" yet
      01-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #16
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

Good thing its like 80 degrees in Houston right now!
Appreciate 0