ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
Hawker30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Why not compete with a GTR

Why doesn't BMW come out with a 1 year and year only model that competes with the raw power of GTR? Keep the incredible handling and luxury feel, but give it monster boost, why not??? Your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker30 View Post
Why doesn't BMW come out with a 1 year and year only model that competes with the raw power of GTR? Keep the incredible handling and luxury feel, but give it monster boost, why not??? Your thoughts.
Because BMW is not in the business of losing money. Why would they spend millions of dollars on research and development of a high-performance car that they'd only make available for sale for one year?

There are rumors of an upcoming M1. If true, it should be out in a couple of years, and will be available on the market for a lot longer than one year.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

you cannot make a car that has GTR performance and BMW find luxury/ fine tuning without making it cost A LOT more than GTR does.

GTR is a cheap and fast car. They go fast for the money . BMW is not fast for the money cars!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Never looked into it - anybody ever seen information on whether Nissan makes anything on the GTR (or at least in 09 when the current one came out?) At under $80k given the technology, features, hand built engine, etc. they had to have lost money on each car.
      10-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

If BMW made it, it would be too expensive. The closest alternative to a GTR in a 4dr luxury/sport sedan package would be the pricey Panamera Turbo/Turbo S. The car is too big and FUGLY looking IMO but I respect its mix of raw power, speed, handling, and luxury. I look forward to a future Pajun Turbo. That is a car I would consider buying.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #6
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
It'd be awesome eh, but....too much to lose trying to compete with the GTR, it's completely not their gig, and they'd make no money on it. BMW don't really need loss-leaders at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
BMW has the M5 and M6 as part of their overall strategy. There's only so much you can do performance-wise at a similar or lower price point before you hurt sales of the mainstays. Remember, BMW and M division's branding is built around a degree of exclusivity as well as the performance part of the equation. As mentioned above by others, an R8 or SLS GT competitor is probably the best hope for an offering that competes in so called super-car territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Never looked into it - anybody ever seen information on whether Nissan makes anything on the GTR (or at least in 09 when the current one came out?) At under $80k given the technology, features, hand built engine, etc. they had to have lost money on each car.
I don't know if its profitable or not, but keep in mind that the GTR has not had an MSRP near 80k for years now. So they have been tweaking the business model from the start. Of course they've updated the car almost every year it's been on the market too, as well as offered special edition models.

When you look at how profitable Porsche is, it's not hard to imagine Nissan making some money. Granted Porsche has near exotic-level pricing on high end models, but the volume is in the C2 and C2S. Even then, they are only building a few thousand a year.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
E92Jay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

The GT-R's MSRP is at 99k, I wouldn't call it cheap... It is in the meteoric range of the M6. I would say the M6 has a more well appointed interior and similar performance (not awd though) so no use for an M3/4 to push 540hp when you have another car that does the same.
2015 F80 M3 SSII/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

I was watching a documentary about BMW and they were talking about the types of engineers and employees that they like to hire. They said one of their favorite questions to ask in an interview is if BMW should build a car to compete with the Audi R8. They said that they want people who believe in BMW being the trend setter and innovating instead of chasing other brands.

Would I love to see a GTR rival from BMW? Hell yeah! But that is not in line with the BMW business strategy and might cause BMW loyalist to question such a car. BMW has always been much more about handling and driving enjoyment instead of straight up speed and power. This is evident by BMW M's refusal to move to AWD.

I always tell people that the M3 might not be the fastest or most luxurious car in the world; but for the price, it is definitely one of the most fun to drive! And THAT is why I love it.
      10-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S4

BMW does need an enthusiast car over $100k. In SF the Audi club chapter has dozens of members with R8 model cars. It keeps the club well funded. BMW hasn't been able to attract that kind of crowd because they haven't released enough sporty cars.
      10-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
Hawker30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

You all make great points. Thanks for the reply
Appreciate 0