BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
notadriver008
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d

Rust Issue's

Hi All,

First post of many as loads to learn, but having brought a used 2005 118d - I would like to rectify the usual problems associated for "old cars" -

So first problem is that the bonnet latch sometimes won't click into place, it does look slightly rusty, not sure if it's worth changing this completely or using a rust treatment product.

My knowledge of cars is :censored: but if you have a look at the following two pictures there seems to be more rust issues which i would like to treat!

If anyone can recommend which products would be best to use for.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fg96et3vm79q9r6/tfQrFb05on

Thanks All!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Check the latch cable probably, replacing the cable in sections can solve it
And Grease the latch with something, anything like vazeline goo

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta
Check the latch cable probably, replacing the cable in sections can solve it
And Grease the latch with something, anything like vazeline goo
I tried checking the cable from the hood latch until that little box and just past it but I couldn't see any issues. My hood doesn't pop open when I try pulling the lever. It just feels like I'm gonna snap it off. When I get someone to push the hood down, it opens. Any ideas on this one? Could it be the cable?
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
I tried checking the cable from the hood latch until that little box and just past it but I couldn't see any issues. My hood doesn't pop open when I try pulling the lever. It just feels like I'm gonna snap it off. When I get someone to push the hood down, it opens. Any ideas on this one? Could it be the cable?
I know what you are referring to. Mine siezed and I had to open hood through the grille

The first box right underneath the hood is gone bad internally - not easy to see, you need to pop it open with skrew driver and notice what is gone bad

solution
A) new section including the plastic box from hood latch to box
or B) attempt diy fix that fixed the plastc box, the cable is fine - except the end of it in the box, ALSO the box has issues it is deformed inside

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0