F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > HPDE Videos Motorsports Ranch Cresson Tx-1.7 CW
Extreme Powerhouse

10-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
HPDE Videos Motorsports Ranch Cresson Tx-1.7 CW

Videos from a two day HPDE with Lonestar BMW CCA out at the Motorsports Ranch in Cresson TX, Oct 19-20 2013

In a field of E36-E90 M3's, M coupes, and an E39 M5 the F30 didn't get passed once

Well, except for run 2 on day 1 when for no good reason it threw a "drivetrain malfunction" down the long straight. I got to limp around the whole track (happened right after the pits) at 1500 RPM. Reboot in the pit solved it

Front camber is still a huge problem - c'mon Vorshlag - check the outside front tire, the car's almost rolling over it

Brake pads (sport-line, non-Msport brakes) are garbage. Super soft - they stayed around and stopped the car both days, but in no way would I call them grabby. My instructor kept telling me to brake sharper and harder - I'd jump on the pedal, be greeted with ABS feedback through the pedal, but the tires weren't slipping. I think the rotors and calipers are fine, but it needs pads that bite badly.

All that though and still the fastest car in my run group. The F30's got some legs.

Here's one of the videos, if you've got a couple of hours to burn watch them all here
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...l_IErLxtoCjrrS

Last edited by utenigma; 10-22-2013 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

335 sportlines come with 4 pots up front right? I've got a set of m-sport pads (non-brembo) for the 328 if you want them. They bite pretty good on the street, but on the track :dunno:

Porterfield is about the only vendor I can find in the aftermarket. I've tracked their R4-1 compound and they bite like holy hell. They were so touchy I ended up going back to OE pads. I'm gonna try their street compound (R4-S) in January at Sebring.

http://porterfield-brakes.com/images...6_02_41_04.pdf
      10-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
LGWGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster, '24 BSM M2

Great videos! I am in Dallas and would love to try and make the next one of these. Where do I look to see when they are scheduled?

I noticed that you have the JB4 on your car too. Would love to hear some feedback on that. I am thinking of doing the same, but concerned about some of the reliability issues I have read about.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancod View Post
Great videos! I am in Dallas and would love to try and make the next one of these. Where do I look to see when they are scheduled?

I noticed that you have the JB4 on your car too. Would love to hear some feedback on that. I am thinking of doing the same, but concerned about some of the reliability issues I have read about.
First, if you're not already, join the BMWCCA https://www.bmwcca.org. You get a nifty monthly magazine "Roundel", a 10% parts discount at Classic BMW in Plano (lots of other dealers as well) bunches of other discounts at various places and additional owner loyalty cash when you buy new or CPO BMW's

I sound like an add for the CCA - lol

The Lone Star chapter (our chapter) does Autocross's ~once a month, and HPDE's a few times a year. The next HPDE should be next march at, wait for it, Circuit of the America's in Austin. That's a joint event between Lone Star chapter, Houston and San Antonio. It'll be blast. The club also organizes tours (high speed driving as a group through back-roads) and some road-rallies (timed events on public roads where you have checkpoints to reach at certain times, running ahead or behind your time you lose points, and you have to notice certain things along the way)

Lone Star events are usually posted here http://lscbmwcca.org/, but once you're a member and registered to our chapter, you'll get emails about events as well.

If you're interested in Autocross in DFW, there's a bunch of clubs that run - you could really go every weekend (sometimes twice). All the club's schedules are maintained on a joint calendar here http://dfwautocross.com. All the groups accept all makes of cars and none (except BMW) requires that you be a club member although most cost $5 extra if you're not. Most of the groups post here http://www.dfwmiata.com/forums/10-Autocross-Events a week or two prior to their event with details on how to register, track maps etc.

Also you could do HPDE's with Porsche club, or a number of the driving academy's that operate out of the tracks around here.

BMW CCA HPDE's are super cost effective - usually around half what a driving academy costs. It's also fun in the less prepped classes as most people are driving stock(-ish) BMW's so the cars are all pretty evenly matched. You're usually not getting passed by a car going twice your speed, or passing a car that's twice as slow as you.

If you've never done anything motorsport-ish, come out and do our last autocross of the season with us. Great way to learn car control and the limits of your car in a controlled environment . The next one will be on Saturday November 9 at the Airport in Mineral Wells Tx. Huge asphault surface with nothing to hit but road-cones (and corner workers, but there's no time penalty for corner workers) - and price of entry is usually ~$30-35 for the day. If you're a Novice to autocross we'll put an instructor in your car (for free) and if you don't have a helmet, you can borrow one from the club. It'd be great to see another F30 out there

-------------------------------------
JB4

I've had it on the car for about a month now, did one autocross and the HPDE with it. I had a "drivetrain malfunction" once on the first day of the HPDE - never seen that before, or since. It happened at an odd time, not under high boost or anything (there's actually a video of it happening with telemetry here) - I think I was rolling on the throttle in 6th about 3/4 throttle at 60mph coming out of a turn (wrong gear but I was stuck behind somebody at the time) Jump to 4:20 in the video - the comment sections of the video has a link to that spot

I turned off the JB4 after rebooting the car and left it off the rest of the first day. I turned it on for day 2, and everything was fine. No idea what happened or whether the JB4 was involved or not. When I get a few, I'm going to scan the computer and see if there are any codes in there, just haven't gotten around to it.

My biggest concern with the JB4 was that it would mess with the linearity of power delivery from the motor, make the car harder to throttle steer - that is not the case. The JB4 tune is very well-mannered, just like an N55 with the volume turned up to 11

I do have the Stage2, I've never had the Stage1 so I can't compare it to that.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma View Post
First, if you're not already, join the BMWCCA https://www.bmwcca.org. You get a nifty monthly magazine "Roundel", a 10% parts discount at Classic BMW in Plano (lots of other dealers as well) bunches of other discounts at various places and additional owner loyalty cash when you buy new or CPO BMW's

I sound like an add for the CCA - lol

The Lone Star chapter (our chapter) does Autocross's ~once a month, and HPDE's a few times a year. The next HPDE should be next march at, wait for it, Circuit of the America's in Austin. That's a joint event between Lone Star chapter, Houston and San Antonio. It'll be blast. The club also organizes tours (high speed driving as a group through back-roads) and some road-rallies (timed events on public roads where you have checkpoints to reach at certain times, running ahead or behind your time you lose points, and you have to notice certain things along the way)

Lone Star events are usually posted here http://lscbmwcca.org/, but once you're a member and registered to our chapter, you'll get emails about events as well.

If you're interested in Autocross in DFW, there's a bunch of clubs that run - you could really go every weekend (sometimes twice). All the club's schedules are maintained on a joint calendar here http://dfwautocross.com. All the groups accept all makes of cars and none (except BMW) requires that you be a club member although most cost $5 extra if you're not. Most of the groups post here http://www.dfwmiata.com/forums/10-Autocross-Events a week or two prior to their event with details on how to register, track maps etc.

Also you could do HPDE's with Porsche club, or a number of the driving academy's that operate out of the tracks around here.

BMW CCA HPDE's are super cost effective - usually around half what a driving academy costs. It's also fun in the less prepped classes as most people are driving stock(-ish) BMW's so the cars are all pretty evenly matched. You're usually not getting passed by a car going twice your speed, or passing a car that's twice as slow as you.

If you've never done anything motorsport-ish, come out and do our last autocross of the season with us. Great way to learn car control and the limits of your car in a controlled environment . The next one will be on Saturday November 9 at the Airport in Mineral Wells Tx. Huge asphault surface with nothing to hit but road-cones (and corner workers, but there's no time penalty for corner workers) - and price of entry is usually ~$30-35 for the day. If you're a Novice to autocross we'll put an instructor in your car (for free) and if you don't have a helmet, you can borrow one from the club. It'd be great to see another F30 out there

JB4

I've had it on the car for about a month now, did one autocross and the HPDE with it. I had a "drivetrain malfunction" once on the first day of the HPDE - never seen that before, or since. It happened at an odd time, not under high boost or anything (there's actually a video of it happening with telemetry here) - I think I was rolling on the throttle in 6th about 3/4 throttle at 60mph coming out of a turn (wrong gear but I was stuck behind somebody at the time) Jump to 4:20 in the video - the comment sections of the video has a link to that spot

I turned off the JB4 after rebooting the car and left it off the rest of the first day. I turned it on for day 2, and everything was fine. No idea what happened or whether the JB4 was involved or not. When I get a few, I'm going to scan the computer and see if there are any codes in there, just haven't gotten around to it.

My biggest concern with the JB4 was that it would mess with the linearity of power delivery from the motor, make the car harder to throttle steer - that is not the case. The JB4 tune is very well-mannered, just like an N55 with the volume turned up to 11

I do have the Stage2, I've never had the Stage1 so I can't compare it to that.
Awesome report. I am glad there are still some owners like me that enjoy "driving" their car.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin951 View Post
335 sportlines come with 4 pots up front right? I've got a set of m-sport pads (non-brembo) for the 328 if you want them. They bite pretty good on the street, but on the track :dunno:

Porterfield is about the only vendor I can find in the aftermarket. I've tracked their R4-1 compound and they bite like holy hell. They were so touchy I ended up going back to OE pads. I'm gonna try their street compound (R4-S) in January at Sebring.

http://porterfield-brakes.com/images...6_02_41_04.pdf
I contacted CoolCarbon and asked about pads for the F30 - they said tooling was in process and should be available in the next few months
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
LGWGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster, '24 BSM M2

Wow! What a great response! Thanks for the info. I have not done a motor cross since the days of my old 350z. That was quite a while ago. I am absolutely interested in the Circuit of Americas event!!

I'll get signed up and do my best to make it to the event on the 9th. Will be a good baseline for what else I may want to do to the car. Although, it is sounding like the JB4 will need to happen very soon.

Look forward to hopefully getting to meet you in person.

David
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

good write up! which video system do you use?

I had a few track buddies (3-5 guys) down there at this event from little rock, Arkansas. they were mostly in e36 m3s and intermediate/advanced/instructors... all trailered in together maybe you remember the group? I looked through your video and didn't see any of their cars so maybe you were in a different group or they were sneaking up on you or vice versa

when I was there several month back with your chapter they mentioned i would have priority for COTA next year .. do you know when that might be or where I could get more info? I'm dying to drive there and don't wanna miss this chance!!

thanks! again nice write up and nice driving!

Matt

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03
when I was there several month back with your chapter they mentioned i would have priority for COTA next year .. do you know when that might be or where I could get more info? I'm dying to drive there and don't wanna miss this chance!!

thanks! again nice write up and nice driving!

Matt
COTA is tentatively scheduled for late march. Participation in one of the club HPDE's over the past year should get you a tier 1 invite (get to sign up first) membership to any of the 3 chapters hosting the event gets you tier 2, then if its not full by then registration gets opened to CCA members from any chapter

At least that's how it worked last year

Last edited by utenigma; 10-24-2013 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Nice and smooth... looking good, UT!

Quote:
Videos from a two day HPDE with Lonestar BMW CCA out at the Motorsports Ranch in Cresson TX, Oct 19-20 2013

In a field of E36-E90 M3's, M coupes, and an E39 M5 the F30 didn't get passed once

Well, except for run 2 on day 1 when for no good reason it threw a "drivetrain malfunction" down the long straight. I got to limp around the whole track (happened right after the pits) at 1500 RPM. Reboot in the pit solved it

Front camber is still a huge problem - c'mon Vorshlag - check the outside front tire, the car's almost rolling over it

Brake pads (sport-line, non-Msport brakes) are garbage. Super soft - they stayed around and stopped the car both days, but in no way would I call them grabby. My instructor kept telling me to brake sharper and harder - I'd jump on the pedal, be greeted with ABS feedback through the pedal, but the tires weren't slipping. I think the rotors and calipers are fine, but it needs pads that bite badly.

All that though and still the fastest car in my run group. The F30's got some legs.

Here's one of the videos, if you've got a couple of hours to burn watch them all here
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...l_IErLxtoCjrrS

10-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post

I had a few track buddies (3-5 guys) down there at this event from little rock, Arkansas. they were mostly in e36 m3s and intermediate/advanced/instructors... all trailered in together maybe you remember the group?
Matt
Sorry, didn't answer your whole question - It was late and I was on my phone

I don't remember seeing a trailer with lots of cars on it, other than the Texas track works one (probably not from Arkansas ) There was a lot going on though - close to 100 cars was the turn out I think

As for Video I use a discombobulated set of equipment cobbled together

I run in the car a

GoPro Hero3 Black
DualAV GPS150A Bluetooth GPS receiver (~$90) (to get good gps position and speed at 5hz)
ELM327 WiFi OBD2 Scanner for iPhone (~$30) (to track RPM, throttle pos, and intake manifold pressure)
and an iPhone 4s running TrackAddict HD Pro (~$5 app, records data from the GPS and OBD2 as well as video)

I get video from the iPhone as well as the GoPro (this time I had the iPhone mounted to the sunroof pointed at my hands and the GoPro mounted to the windshield)

I use RaceRender2 Ultimate edition (~$35) to put the video's together. I even built a custom template for the F30 by taking pictures of my gauges and getting RaceRender2 to draw the needles, put gear number in, etc.

It's a really slick piece of software that makes this type of video editing super easy. There's a free version you can play with that's only limited by the number of things you can combine and it watermarks the video. I got ultimate b/c I like to support people that are making good software for a small target audience and don't gouge the consumer. And I may use some of the other features some day. They work with lots of other data files as well - huge list on their page.

There's a link to the template I made in this thread http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870663

This was defiantly the cheapest way to go that I found to get this type of data. Some day I'll probably pony up and get something like Aim SoloDL, but I got a lot of other stuff sitting in front of that in the "stuff my wife says I don't need" queue
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma
Quote:

I had a few track buddies (3-5 guys) down there at this event from little rock, Arkansas. they were mostly in e36 m3s and intermediate/advanced/instructors... all trailered in together maybe you remember the group?
Matt
Sorry, didn't answer your whole question - It was late and I was on my phone

I don't remember seeing a trailer with lots of cars on it, other than the Texas track works one (probably not from Arkansas ) There was a lot going on though - close to 100 cars was the turn out I think

As for Video I use a discombobulated set of equipment cobbled together

I run in the car a

GoPro Hero3 Black
DualAV GPS150A Bluetooth GPS receiver (~$90) (to get good gps position and speed at 5hz)
ELM327 WiFi OBD2 Scanner for iPhone (~$30) (to track RPM, throttle pos, and intake manifold pressure)
and an iPhone 4s running TrackAddict HD Pro (~$5 app, records data from the GPS and OBD2 as well as video)

I get video from the iPhone as well as the GoPro (this time I had the iPhone mounted to the sunroof pointed at my hands and the GoPro mounted to the windshield)

I use RaceRender2 Ultimate edition (~$35) to put the video's together. I even built a custom template for the F30 by taking pictures of my gauges and getting RaceRender2 to draw the needles, put gear number in, etc.

It's a really slick piece of software that makes this type of video editing super easy. There's a free version you can play with that's only limited by the number of things you can combine and it watermarks the video. I got ultimate b/c I like to support people that are making good software for a small target audience and don't gouge the consumer. And I may use some of the other features some day. They work with lots of other data files as well - huge list on their page.

There's a link to the template I made in this thread http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870663

This was defiantly the cheapest way to go that I found to get this type of data. Some day I'll probably pony up and get something like Aim SoloDL, but I got a lot of other stuff sitting in front of that in the "stuff my wife says I don't need" queue
haha totally understand the queue dilemma!

thanks for all the info about camera/COTA. I need to look at the software you mentioned. Sounds like I *should* be tier 1! nice!

the guys all trailered individually so it wasn't a huge multi car trailer; much less conspicuous and it sounds like there were a lot of e36s.. one guy has a "M" like from be monster energy drink on his hood bunch each leg of the m is the BMW m colors (red, purple, blue).. that's the only big identifier haha.

annnnyway. thanks again. so will you be going to cota?

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
haha totally understand the queue dilemma!

thanks for all the info about camera/COTA. I need to look at the software you mentioned. Sounds like I *should* be tier 1! nice!

the guys all trailered individually so it wasn't a huge multi car trailer; much less conspicuous and it sounds like there were a lot of e36s.. one guy has a "M" like from be monster energy drink on his hood bunch each leg of the m is the BMW m colors (red, purple, blue).. that's the only big identifier haha.

annnnyway. thanks again. so will you be going to cota?
Hell yeah I am

Do you want to drive the only F1 track in America? No

See how completely wrong that sounds?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep

+1 on TrackAddict. It doesn't do splits like Harry's, but it has better integration IMO. Plus there's no PC UI that I can recall. Also last I checked Harry's wouldn't control a gopro. Don't quote me though.

Here's the setup I went with. It's a little different as I use the gopro wireless and the gps and odb over BT.

GPS - http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/
Camera - Gopro Hero Silver w/swivel mount (extra)
ODBII - http://gopointtech.com/
Mount - http://www.amt-engineering.com/stealth_hcm.html (Fellow BMW guy, well engineered product

After the initial setup you just crank the car up and the app does the rest. $35 for racerender is a steal. It's a simple yet powerful piece of software. I've seen worse software sell for 5x as much.
      10-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I contacted CoolCarbon and asked about pads for the F30 - they said tooling was in process and should be available in the next few months
Good to hear! Keep us posted.

I meant to ask about your GPS. I see you have it taped to the dash. I have mine facing up and out the rear driver-side window and when I'm > ~100mph the readings sometimes have me way off track. For my next event I was going to mount like you did. Have you had any issues with it there? Is the tape glare distracting?
      10-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin951
Quote:
Good to hear! Keep us posted.

I meant to ask about your GPS. I see you have it taped to the dash. I have mine facing up and out the rear driver-side window and when I'm > ~100mph the readings sometimes have me way off track. For my next event I was going to mount like you did. Have you had any issues with it there? Is the tape glare distracting?
Honestly I never notice it, it's so far over to the right. Even at an Autocross where sometimes I'm looking out the passenger window up the course, it's never bothered me.

Of course everyone's different-I think the passenger's seat could catch fire and I wouldn't notice b/c it's not germane
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
I think the passenger's seat could catch fire and I wouldn't notice b/c it's not germane
      11-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #18
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

I want to drive to texas from cali to drive at cota.
Appreciate 0