E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Difference between HID and LED AEs?

10-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
bigshotx1
Member/ E92 Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335ix

Arrow Difference between HID and LED AEs?

As the title says...

I was told there is a difference and HID is the way to go...

Is there a difference? What is the major pros/cons?

And to be cliche... "What is the favorite AEs available? And why?"
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
mike1973
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: E91

I've read that HID is the way to go if you're after bright DRL like the new BMW's have, however there is a tendency to damage "burn" the fibre optics in the headlight due to heat build up.I don't know how the new generation copes with this..probably differant material.

I would go for the led angel eye option, either LUX or MTEC. You won't get the bright DRL's as the newer generation but you wont burn yor headlights either

My 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
NJ | 330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 330xi

It all depends on what you're looking for. Ive gone through so many different kinds of angel eyes, from ebay and they were junk, then went with Lux and they just didn't cut it for me. Then I decided to just get OSS and IMO are the best but they are pricy but i think it was worth it. Honestly i think angel eyes are meant to stand out and OSS does that. but if you dont wanna spend $700 then id go with lux
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

Wouldn't recommend HIDs. The center rings are brighter than outer.
      10-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
bigshotx1
Member/ E92 Owner
United_States
Rep

I was thinking of the MTEC just for the fact that I do not want to spend $225 for the Lux, I know I know please no criticism. It seems that they are very competitive as far as pros and cons. Seems that the only bonus aside from the qualities they both have are that Lux can be changed as far as the color temperature..

Now, MTEC has different "versions" right? V2, V3, V4?... What is the difference and which do I want. Do they come in all different color temperatures?

Thanks so much for the help! This has been the quickest way to get the answers I need from the research I have done!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
JYohay
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

as others said HIds can cause the glass tubes to yellow.
also HID are TOO bright. you didnt need headlights on anymore, they hurt to look at.
i personally had nothing but problem with them flickering.
Lux are great but you can get replica versions that are exactly the same for 1/3 the price on ebay ( i even recently saw reps of the v4s on ebay with color changing options).
i went custom headlight route and never looked back (had 2 different sets, sold my final set yesterday)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
bigshotx1
Member/ E92 Owner
United_States
Rep

And MTEC are LEDs, right? Haha thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I had HID AE's for about a year in my car. I got so sick of them intermittently not working, so I just put the stock AE bulbs back in and never cared to change them again. The awesome look of the HID AE's (also the added benefit of seeing street signs even farther away) wasn't worth the hassle.

For HID's you need: A relay, 4700uf Capacitors soldered into the wire and coding for the bulb alerts every 5 minutes.

My AE rings did not discolor though. My battery terminal thing under the hood did melt due to the HID relay though.
      10-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
m3ngsta
Rep
Drives: e90 320D Alpine White

I went with the DTEC V7s and could not be any happier. The lights are very bright at night (borderline glaring) and OEM bright in the day. Derrick also gave me a great price with excellent international shipping. Color is 5000k and matches exactly with the stock xenons.

Kept reading about HIDs messing up the halo lights so I won't go with that option. Besides, how bright should the AEs go? If it's too bright it will be a pain at night to oncoming traffic. Daytime it will never match the corona lights or LEDs found in Audis etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
bigshotx1
Member/ E92 Owner
United_States
Rep

Okay, what about fog lights?? Any input?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
m3ngsta
Rep
Drives: e90 320D Alpine White

Think the fogs are pretty straight forward. HID for brightest, LED for cosmetics. In my opinion, HID fogs are kinda ricey. I find oncoming cars that just turn on the HID fogs as main driving lights a pain because it's too glaring and how they maneuver around without low beams is beyond me.

I prefer a fog delete but it's too much work to fabricate one for my Msport e90 LCI. Ah well..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 03:35 AM   #12
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

HID is able to light up the outer ring during the day and LED is NOT able to light up the outer ring during the day. 99% of the pictures online are all shot at certain distances/angles to make it look like they light up the outer ring, but in reality they do not unless someone is driving a super low car.

Downside to the HIDs are the horror stories of the optics being damaged, but atleast you can see the outer ring in the day time.

I am currently running Lux V3, I don't hate them but I don't love them. I am not satisfied with any of the LED's I've tried including the current LUX. If I'm going to upgrade, I will probably do some custom headlight work.

So in short:

Light up both rings evenly = custom headlights
Cheap way to make your rings white but at the same time rendering the outer ring useless during the day = LED's
Same price as the more expensive LED's but slightly risky way to make both your rings light up but at the same time making the inner ring much brighter = HID's
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

beware of HID angel eyes.

this should be self explantory, we never sold HID angel eyes and never will

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
Natedilla
Rep
Drives: 2007 e91

Any recommended custom headlight that are not rediculous expensive?
Appreciate 0