proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
JustBimmin
Rep
Drives: Fast & Sexy

M4 vs 04' SL600

My dad thinks his SL would be faster than the M4, im just curious whats everyone else's opinion on that. Its a v12 493hp bi-turbo weighing in around 4300lbs..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBimmin
My dad thinks his SL would be faster than the M4, im just curious whats everyone else's opinion on that. Its a v12 493hp bi-turbo weighing in around 4300lbs..
Let me be the first to say this post is ridiculous on so many levels it should just be locked and done with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
JustBimmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBimmin
Let me be the first to say this post is ridiculous on so many levels it should just be locked and done with it.
Is this the wrong thread? I just asked a question bud.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBimmin View Post
My dad thinks your dad should get testosterone therapy.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Quote:
Easy Needsdecaf, this is not an unreasonable question. No need to get excited.

The short answer is that the new M4 will be faster.

Why, because it will have about a 9% better power to weight ratio and that is quite significant. I just used 3450 lb and 430 hp for the M4, which are still a bit uncertain but even given the most pessimistic weight and power figures the advantage for the M4 is significant. Also, don't forget that a dual clutch transmission can be good for about an equivalent of 20-40 hp when compared to a MT or much clower shifting AT.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
hudamang
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hopefully M4

Answer is: it depends.

Per Car and Driver 2004, the Sl600 does the 1/4 mile in less than 12 seconds and 0-60 in 3.6. Not sure if the M4 will be any quicker to 60 or to 1/4 but on the track, it should be.
      10-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Its a great question. Made me smile. Your dad is cool owning a rare beast like that. On the track the m4 will be much quicker. by miles. But straight line sounds pretty close.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
JustBimmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335
Its a great question. Made me smile. Your dad is cool owning a rare beast like that. On the track the m4 will be much quicker. by miles. But straight line sounds pretty close.
I figured it be close in a straight, but on the bends the SL wont have a chance. He's actually trying to sell it as much as he doesn't want to. He only put 915 miles on it..and he is the first owner lol
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

He should chip it lol
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
JustBimmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335
He should chip it lol
Thats against his religion, he always says that all cars are built to handle what they came with from factory.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #11
JustBimmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2
Quote:
Quote:
Easy Needsdecaf, this is not an unreasonable question. No need to get excited.

The short answer is that the new M4 will be faster.

Why, because it will have about a 9% better power to weight ratio and that is quite significant. I just used 3450 lb and 430 hp for the M4, which are still a bit uncertain but even given the most pessimistic weight and power figures the advantage for the M4 is significant. Also, don't forget that a dual clutch transmission can be good for about an equivalent of 20-40 hp when compared to a MT or much clower shifting AT.
Wow, thats quite a response! Anyways I figured that the m4 would be faster or very close, especially around the bends. My dad is just too stubborn about that stuff. Just have to show him..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Sorry if I offended everyone, but I truly see no point to asking this question. What's next, a Maclaren F1 or an M4?

The Merc is twice the price, a lot heavier and just has a completely different mission statement. They are not cross shipped by the same buyers. The Merc will never see a track. It will get destroyed in the twisted by the M4 and might come close in a straight line.

But what's the point if the question? FWIW, I think most if these questions are pretty pointless, unless you are talking a direct competitor, a predecessor, etc. in that case, it's worth asking to see how the new car will measure up to its competition, and to get a sense of how the car will feel when driven.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Sorry if I offended everyone, but I truly see no point to asking this question. What's next, a Maclaren F1 or an M4?

The Merc is twice the price, a lot heavier and just has a completely different mission statement. They are not cross shipped by the same buyers. The Merc will never see a track. It will get destroyed in the twisted by the M4 and might come close in a straight line.

But what's the point if the question? FWIW, I think most if these questions are pretty pointless, unless you are talking a direct competitor, a predecessor, etc. in that case, it's worth asking to see how the new car will measure up to its competition, and to get a sense of how the car will feel when driven.
That's just your opinion man, and I respect that. However, if you are not interested in someone's question or thread just don't bother reading and replying. This is an open forum for everybody.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:

I test drove an SL55 before I bought my last E92 M3. So yes, some people will cross shop these two cars. Your opinion is just that.....yours.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Don't think he was looking to 'cross shop'. Just a couple guys sitting and chatting about their rides (potential rides) performance.

Something similar to, "What's faster, my buddies 458 or my other buddies FBO E9x 335is with upgraded turbos"?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
I figured it be close in a straight, but on the bends the SL wont have a chance. He's actually trying to sell it as much as he doesn't want to. He only put 915 miles on it..and he is the first owner lol
If he's the 2nd owner of a 10-year old car with only 915 miles on it, I'd have to say something is amiss, if it isn't already.

At a run rate of 91.5 miles per year, I'd say the engine is probably running much less than efficient. How many times has he maintained and tuned this car over the 10 years? I'd imagine dried up valve lifters, dried rings, gaskets and bearings, etc... not to mention the needs of the higher maintenance bi-turbo and the engine technically hasn't even been run in yet after more than 10 years!

So, on a start and go, I'd say the M4 would easily win on a straight or bend and it's not even close.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
JustBimmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma
Quote:
If he's the 2nd owner of a 10-year old car with only 915 miles on it, I'd have to say something is amiss, if it isn't already.

At a run rate of 91.5 miles per year, I'd say the engine is probably running much less than efficient. How many times has he maintained and tuned this car over the 10 years? I'd imagine dried up valve lifters, dried rings, gaskets and bearings, etc... not to mention the needs of the higher maintenance bi-turbo and the engine technically hasn't even been run in yet after more than 10 years!

So, on a start and go, I'd say the M4 would easily win on a straight or bend and it's not even close.
Thats what I tell him, the car sitting is extremely bad, they already had to replace the ECU and now its misfiring, sounds like its running straight pipes too.. Idk why is that.. Cat for sure needs replaced, smells like rotten eggs, and he just starts it up and lets it run. I tell you cant just let it run, most of the wear happens on the bottom end. But whatever.. Whats the point of having 130k car and its just going to trash.. Just looks good

Edit: He's first owner
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 6MT AW

With depreciation and ~900 miles, it costs about ~$100 per mile...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudamang View Post
Answer is: it depends.

Per Car and Driver 2004, the Sl600 does the 1/4 mile in less than 12 seconds and 0-60 in 3.6. Not sure if the M4 will be any quicker to 60 or to 1/4 but on the track, it should be.
Can you link to these results? They sound very fast for the power to weight ration of the car. It also leasds me to a preliminary hypothesis that the car must be underrated to get those numbers with that power and weight.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #20
hudamang
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hopefully M4

Will this board allow outside links?

If so, http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...trumented-test

If not: caranddriver .com/reviews/mercedes-benz-sl600-instrumented-test
      10-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #21
JustBimmin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudamang
Will this board allow outside links?

If so, http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...trumented-test

If not: caranddriver .com/reviews/mercedes-benz-sl600-instrumented-test
Whoa! 3.6 seconds is nuts! Gotta try that out myself lol
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #22
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

sl is fast.. dont exactly remember but it had some crazy tq numbers.. straight line drag will prolly go to sl. i just dont see m4 getting anything better than 12.5 1/4 mile..
Appreciate 0