E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Hiccup in power with low gas on a sharp left turn

10-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Hiccup in power with low gas on a sharp left turn

So yesterday, I was down to a few gallons of gas only, and at the intersection, did a 90 degree left turn at a quick pace. As I was accelerating, felt a hiccup in power, and I let off gas briefly, and got back on, and continued no problem. I wasn't full throttle or anything. Was easing onto throttle after cruising thru the apex. No check engine lights.

Then last night, I was reading codes, and noticed a 2AAF - fuel pump plausibility - code.

A couple of weeks ago, I was at the road track with the car, and it ran flawlessly for the whole day, and no codes afterwards. I think I've read that if you have really low gas, on a sharp corner in one direction, not enough gas gets to the fuel pump, and can cause such a hiccup. Is that true or would have nothing to do with my issue?

I am fairly certain I have the newest version of the HPFP, as it was done under recall 1.5 years ago, and if it was in fact the pump dying, wouldn't I have gotten codes at the track day running hard all day long?

Any theories or things I can do to narrow down the issue? Or just ignore it, as it was most likely caused by the low gas amount?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

This has happened to others and is caused by the bucket in the tank not being full enough to meet the demand of the rest of the system...you're basically running out of gas until you let it fill back up.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Thanks for confirming. Does it happen only on left turns or right too?
Appreciate 0