E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > This NYC Range Rover vs. Bike video...

09-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
SBE92LCI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320d LCI

This NYC Range Rover vs. Bike video...

Guessing quite a few have seen the below?

http://mobile.pistonheads.com/gassin...323.42678&nmt=

I can sort of understand that flooring it through the bikers was the wrong idea by the RR driver (dependent on circumstances) however evidently he was with his wife and kid. From my perspective I think it's absolutely disgusting how the bikers then descend on the car like a pack of wild animals - can only imagine how frightening it must have been for people in the RR!?

Wondering what your thoughts are? Obviously there's no context either side of the story either pre or post-video so hard to make a definitive judgement.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
That is shocking on so many levels.

I don't think anyone on here is likely to know the full story.

The comments on the video said apparently the original reason there were loads of bikes around was because the car had already clouted one of the bikes before the chap started filming.

Either way, deliberately driving into a moving bike infront of you is fucking mental - as is ploughing through everyone.
      09-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

First thing I thought was that if something happened before the video started, surely one of the bikers must have had video evidence of it.
So if one of your friends has been knocked off their bike and you've just video'd the whole thing, surely you make sure the guys alright, safe in the knowledge that when the Police show up you have it all on camera.

If it were me, with my wife and boy in the car, no doubt I would have done the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
The bikers are terrorising the range rover. Also they seem to be incriminating themselves in may ways with this video. Speeding, dangerous driving etc.... They have no right to do any of that, regardless of what happened before. They have the plate of the vehicle, and all it takes is one or two bikes to follow that car. I'm not sure how the Range Rover resisted mowing the lot of the assholes down.

The problem with america is that any of them could have been carrying a gun.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

You can see why the Range Rover driver acted like he did.

You'd be terrified with a swarm of bikers chasing and surrounding you like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
As I said, I don't think it's right to jump to conclusions as that video is clearly the final chapters of the full story.

It could be there was a bike meet somewhere and the RR driver had done something to upset everyone - hence the abnormal amount of bikers on the road.

Maybe he hit a kid crossing the road? Who knows...

Could be anything, but the bikers are the more vunerable party in this situation, so putting yourself in harms way (ie: pulling infront of the car to slow it down) says to me that something happened prior to the chase shown - as, being a biker myself, on a motorbike you are very much aware of the fact you're not in a metal shell and your body doesn't tend to do much in terms of impact absorbtion, so you don't put yourself in dangerous situations - so something must have happened to instigate that.

Regardless, feeling a bit scared (again, bearing in mind we have no idea what initiated the whole thing - and again, my guess is the driver did something pretty stupid in order to make him want to try to evade them like he did) doesn't give you the right (not in the UK at least!) to go deliberately injuring or killing people through wreckless driving.

Last edited by Russbmw; 09-30-2013 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Weather this is entirely true or not it seems to have a lot more information and police quotes in it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...reet-ride.html

Apparently a bike brake checked for no reason and the RR bumped it, then pulled over only to get surrounded and panicked. The guy who posted the video stopes it at the point where his friends show the reason the RR driver panicked including smashing the rear window in the face of a 5yr old child.

The guy that took the video also claimed that a biker was killed and the police say that is not true. Says it all to me. Why doesn't he post the whole video? My guess is that it tells a story that makes the bikers come off alot worse.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Well the video is edited from the biker POV. Despite that they still look like morons. No matter what happened they are not above the law and cannot take it into their own hands.

@Russbmw: The bikers are consciously putting themselves in the vulnerable situation here. They are poking the lion. They could just let the car go. And do you think the end of the video is acceptable? Or did you not watch that far?

The bikers are complete assholes in this situation. Given this is America, do you not think the driver of the RR is maybe worried about getting shot given that the odds are one of the 50 odd bikers has a gun?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Hey ease up mate, I'm entitled to my conspiracy theories on the situation as much as anyone else. I get the impression you think I'm biased because I happen to have a bike as well as a car.

I've been driving cars for 20 years, and been riding bikes for 3 - so don't try and make me out to be some die-hard biker who hates cars and drivers, because that's clearly bullshit! I'm well aware that some bikers ride like total bellends, but as a driver, that makes me even more aware of what I am doing and what drivers may or may not be expecting me to do on the roads - which I think makes me a safer rider. Good really, as I don't much fancy the idea of being knocked off and killed.

Yes, I watched the whole thing and found it appauling on all counts, as I said initially. Bikers riding like tools, and the car driver riding like he's got a car load of crack and is trying to escape the law.

Yes, riding like that on a public highway with other vehicles around is daft. Irrespective of that, I didn't see any biker shouting, swearing, making hand signals at, or thumping the car or something prior to the guy getting run down. He also didn't slam on the anchors, giving the car no other option other than to mow him down. They were riding around it, dangerously, but the driver did slowly and consciously drive into the bike that was infront of him. Now IMO however anyone wants to dress it up, that is very very wrong.

If anything, that action would be more understandable if he'd had some previous incident with the bikers - as he could be justifiably scared. If we're going to assume the driver's squeaky clean, then it makes it totally incomprehensible that you'd take that option instead of any other safer way out.

As mentioned, if he'd done nothing wrong and hadn't antagonised someone/everyone, then he should have slowed down slowly himself to get him and his family out of that situation - not further put him and his family at risk.

I totally understand the intimidation argument (on the assumption he was innocent of any instigation), but the thing to do is get yourself out of the predicament calmly and safely - yes, especially so being it's in the US and anyone could be carrying a firearm. The Range Rover probably have one in the glovebox as an optional extra over there!

If someone cuts me up on the motorway when I'm in my car, then dabs the brakes - I either give them a wide berth and overtake, or drop back and stay the fuck out of the moron's way. I do not bury my right foot and plough them off the road, aside from that being a stupid thing to do, in any insurance companies (and I would imagine, court of laws) eye, any resulting accident would be my fault.

In my view, as I've said in previous posts, the full context of the situation hasn't been presented.

You can't edit that footage to show anything in anyone's favour IMO.

Bottom line is What has been put forward shows bikers riding dangerously and a car driver acting utterly insanely - the reason for both parties actions being totally witheld.

Hence, I don't think all bikers are arseholes, nor do I think all Range Rover drivers are arseholes.

Last edited by Russbmw; 09-30-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Break checking a Range... YOU FUCKING IDIOT!

The Range stopped and then you threaten the guys family by hitting the car...

The driver of the Range only had one option in my eyes. America and Guns go hand in hand... I would have done the same thing to protect my family!

Swarming the Range whilst chasing it too? A bunch of hooligans on bikes in this situation.

There may have been a bike rally on... but then the authorities should close of the roads and protect the public as well as the bikers... But i bet the local councils would never approve of this. These rallies should be illegal unless granted permission!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
^ totally agree about the road closures. Riding like that on public roads is ridiculous.
      09-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Absolute insanity. Im an avid biker and have often ridden in large packs and done a few silly things on occasion - im also a married man with young children and drive among others a Range Rover on the road - so in terms of what you can & cant see from the video i can empathise with both sides. Cant say ive ever ridden over a biker who is being a dick in front of me but i can genuinely say ive often wanted to. I also cant say ive ever swarmed around a car whilst out with all my biker friends and intimidated the driver/passengers to the extent theyve feared for their lives enough to have to drive over and through bikes in front of them. All of that said, i remember we used to go to Chelsea Bridge in London many many years ago before they erected all the CCTV cameras and many bikers used to perform stunts and tricks on the bridge - huge crowds would gather and for many years the police allowed it to happen "within reason" until someone would inevitably push it too far etc. Anyway, one evening a black cab got pissed off with all the traffic being held up with people slowing to watch etc and decided to drive flat out at full speed along the middle of road and then at the last minute pull an unexpected u-turn without signalling - a biker ended up hitting the cab and the rider went through the side windows and was killed - the cab driver drove off without stopping and hundreds of bikers chased him through London and eventually stopped him. Im unsure of what happened in the end but this incident reminded me of the rush of adrenaline and pack mentality when you see one of your friends killed in front of your very eyes and the person responsible tries to escape and evade - frightening as hell but as i say i can empathise with both sides here. Fight or Flight springs to mind. I would be very interested to learn what happened/happens with this and what penalties are handed out and to whom. Horrendous situation in every sense of the word and yet another reason why i now no longer ride my bikes on the road and only ride on the racetracks in "relative" safety.
      09-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post

If someone cuts me up on the motorway when I'm in my car, then dabs the brakes - I either give them a wide berth and overtake, or drop back and stay the fuck out of the moron's way. I do not bury my right foot and plough them off the road, aside from that being a stupid thing to do, in any insurance companies (and I would imagine, court of laws) eye, any resulting accident would be my fault.
Lol... The bikes had swarmed the range before the accident happened... If the Range had slammed his brakes when the bike checked him, without a doubt some biker may have gone into him.

This could have been easily avoided if the bikers were never on a rally in the first place...
they had given plenty of space whilst overtaking the Range rather than riding within metres of him.

The driver of the Range's actions were understandable but absolutely insane... But you would do what ever you can if you were cornered by a swarm of angry bikers... ESPECIALLY IF YOU WERE WITH YOUR FAMILY!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoops View Post
Anyway, one evening a black cab got pissed off with all the traffic being held up with people slowing to watch etc and decided to drive flat out at full speed along the middle of road and then at the last minute pull an unexpected u-turn without signalling - a biker ended up hitting the cab and the rider went through the side windows and was killed - the cab driver drove off without stopping and hundreds of bikers chased him through London and eventually stopped him. Im unsure of what happened in the end but this incident reminded me of the rush of adrenaline and pack mentality when you see one of your friends killed in front of your very eyes and the person responsible tries to escape and evade -
I understand this... Pack mentality, anger etc... I would have sided with the bikes in this case... The taxi brought it on him self...

But this was clearly caused by the bikers and the rally.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Which bit of:

"the full context of the situation hasn't been presented"

statement wasn't clear?

Why were they swarming round the car? I must be missing that part?

It's not "clear" to me who is to blame - certainly from what has been shown, the bikers and the car are both as stupid as each other, that's all I'm trying to say. Sure the situation wouldnt' have happened if the bikes weren't on the road. But likewise, if the Range Rover and it's driver weren't on the road it would't have happened either.

I didn't see the other vehicles (white van/minibus thing) acting all crazy, nor were they being "swarmed" around. They all had to stop with the bikers when they stopped after the biker got mashed.

IF the car driver is totally innocent, then yes the bikers doing what they did is ludicrous.

IF the driver did something wrong that we don't know about, and what the video shows is the result of that, then definitely both parties are in the wrong.

Seems pretty straight forward a view to me?

Last edited by Russbmw; 09-30-2013 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
LexS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport

All I can think about this video is I don't brake check Range Rovers and for some reason I'm not in this mess, much the same as you don't brake check a truck when driving a car because its a pretty stupid thing to do regardless of any prior engagements. Morons.
      09-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

You haven't read what has happened?

In short.

Range Rover with father, partner and younger than 5 year old son, were surrounded and panicked by swarm of bikes which were on a Charity Rally, which was not authorised by any authority.
Bikes sped up and passed the Range then slowed to allow others to catch up...Range was not happy to be caught amongst bikers driving dangerously close on all 4 sides... Range wanted to get out of the trap but the bike brake checked him as he didnt like the range driving close... Range rear ended the bike slightly... then it all kicked off from there.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
infidel335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Long story short, this is why I carry.

335xi: JB4 G5 | KW V1s | muffler delete | BMS DCI | VRSF 7" FMIC | VMR v703 18x8 | and your mom
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

I understand what it's like to sit in NYC traffic for hours on end. I understand what its like to get surrounded by bikers, sometimes atv riders also. But there is absolutely no F*CKING EXCUSE for running over at least a dozen guys because you can't contain your road rage OR you are scared. Unless there was a violent action made towards you (i.e. end of the video) which didn't seem to happen before the incident, this is man slaughter.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Mods should move this to off-topic. Not really a regional discussion, especially U.K lol
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #21
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
I understand what it's like to sit in NYC traffic for hours on end. I understand what its like to get surrounded by bikers, sometimes atv riders also. But there is absolutely no F*CKING EXCUSE for running over at least a dozen guys because you can't contain your road rage OR you are scared. Unless there was a violent action made towards you (i.e. end of the video) which didn't seem to happen before the incident, this is man slaughter.
Didn't the police say nobody actually died?

I don't see the running over the bikes as road rage.

I doubt anyone wouldn't be scared with lots of bikes in pursuit of you and trying to force you to stop.

One of the bikers already attempted to open the door. When approaching a car to speak to the driver,, you wouldn't attempt to pull the door like he did. You would speak through the window.

He looked aggressive to me. The bikers looked aggressive too.

I understand why the Range Rover wanted away.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #22
J Dub
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 MSport 2.0d

No one was killed and only reported injuries were to the driver of the RR. With respect, it should not be removed as it in in our national news so its a topic open to discussion.
I ride a bike and drive 4 wheels (both for about the same time)
Personally I would have shat myself with all those guys around me and just wanted out. Right or wrong it happened, the police are involved and there were no fatalities so they will do their work and decide who is in the wrong, what we all give is just opinion.