Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
uter
BMW nerd
Rep
Drives: E9, E28, E31, G87 M2

US spec i3 available for European Delivery?

Having had such a great time doing ED in the pre-Welt era, I'm looking forward to returning to Munich one day and doing European Delivery again. Will the US-spec i3 be available for ED? I didn't know if perhaps charging formats would vary and therefore European chargers might be incompatible with US-spec vehicles.
1973 Baikalblau 3.0 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by uter View Post
Having had such a great time doing ED in the pre-Welt era, I'm looking forward to returning to Munich one day and doing European Delivery again. Will the US-spec i3 be available for ED? I didn't know if perhaps charging formats would vary and therefore European chargers might be incompatible with US-spec vehicles.
The US-spec cars do use a different connector, the SAE J1772 while they use the Mennekes Type 2 in Europe. However I suppose BMW could make an adapter for the European delivery customers to use while they are there. Still, without a lot of public chargers available the enjoyment may be limited.

What BMW needs to do if they do this is to have a comprehensive list of public charge spots within range of each other and perhaps an itinerary of places to go within driving range and where public chargers are available.
      09-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Isn't the top speed around 93 mph? That and the 80-160 max range of a normal or REX model seem less than ideal for spending any time on the unlimited sections of the Autobahn. I was always amazed at how many Smart cars I saw in the right lane of the Autobahn though.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Especially if you've never been there, there are a bunch of interesting places to visit within the range of the i3 from Munich. You could easily spend a couple of weeks. And, while the Autobahns are great for getting someplace fast, and it's fun to check out the vehicle on them, the surface roads are quite decent, too, and sometimes the only way to get where you want, anyways. If you want to believe BMW, at least on the internal combustion driven vehicles, the 100mph limitation for 1200-miles is kind of a bummer. I did adhere to their recommendations, and my engine hasn't used a drop of oil yet, while some people who didn't, use a fair amount. Probably not an issue with the i3 at all, though, even with the range extender since that is computer controlled to only provide electricity, not direct motive power..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

I did a little research based on another thread, and found that the actual protocols for the Euro EVs and the USA EVs are the same, but it is only the plugs that are different. But, while you can buy a conversion cable, it's not cheap (found one place that made them for a cost of about 150 Euros), and since it would not be useful anywhere else in the world, unless they 'rented' you one, it still wouldn't be that great of an option. But, technically, it is possible if corporate were to agree to it and make the requisite cable available either for rent or sale. The EVSE's in Europe do not come with an attached cable - there is a socket you plug your own cable into as opposed to those in the USA where the cable and plug is attached to the EVSE and certified as part of it. FOr that price, you'd get a cable about 4M long, which may or may not be long enough! Longer ones can be had, but cost more.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

i vehicles are not available for OSD

96 Volvo 850 Turbo 120k
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

One of the benefits of ED is the discount, however, that discount might be less than the federal (and/or state and/or local) tax credits you may (or may not, I do not know the rules) be excluded from as an ED car coming in would be considered a "used" car.

Again, I could be wrong here.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Unless you have the ED car for an extended time in Europe, the US does not consider it a used car when you have it shipped back to the states. The corporate discount may or may not be better than what you can negotiate with your local dealer, but it is certainly easier. Note, on ED purchases, the automatic discount is on the base vehicle...all options are at list unless you negotiate them down as well.

But, as said, the i3 is not offered for ED for several reason already stated. While you can buy a conversion cable to charge one over there, it is not cheap (well, that's all relative) and would be of no use when you returned home.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

BMWi and BMWe vehicles will not be offered on European Delivery.