E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I need some help troubleshooting this problem

09-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
turo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.40]
2024 BMW M2  [9.00]
2018 BMW 340i XDrive  [10.00]
I need some help troubleshooting this problem

So my '09 328i coupe had the window anti trap warning light come on (looks like this:link), and my passenger-side power window stopped working. If you press any of the window buttons (both sides, either in manual or automatic operation) nothing happens. If I hold the unlock button on the fob, the drivers window rolls down but not the passenger. Also, the function that rolls up the window on the coupe when you close the door (to seal it) no longer works. Here's what I've done so far to try and fix it myself:

- checked the fuses
- disconnected the battery for several hours
- tried the power window initialization, but the window does not move at all
- took it to the dealer to have it diagnosed, and they told me that the window motor was bad
- tested the regulator, it is working fine (according to the dealer)
- swapped the window motor for a new one (did this twice, in case I had a faulty replacement the first time...these don't need to be coded, do they?!)
- pulled the motor off of the regulator but left it plugged into the harness and tried the switch, but the motor does not move (no power getting to the motor???)

So now I'm thinking that the motor may not be getting power for some reason. Does anyone have any ideas what else I can check? If I can't figure anything else out I'll go back to the dealer, but I'm really trying to dodge this since I'm trying not to spend too much $$$ (which is why I swapped the power window motor myself).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

EDIT: Solved! I figured I'd update this thread in case anyone has the same problem in the future. After much researching, I finally found out that new power window motors need to be programmed after installation. It took me going through 3 service advisors before finally finding one who knew this (the other two told me that coding was not necessary for power window motors).

Last edited by turo; 10-11-2013 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435i

Sounds like it is time to get a Voltmeter to test the connections to the motor and any other connections in the system to the problem.
Appreciate 0