E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > cobb v3

08-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
kev335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

cobb v3

Anyone ordered one for their bmw? Ordered mine but not been dispatched yet. Think theres a week or so delay from all the pre orderes. I'm looking forward to hearing peoples initial impressions on it. I believe flash times are quicker than the v2. Anyone in the UK had confirmation of dispatch yet?
      09-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Yup. Should arrive tomorrow if you can believe FedEx and customs doesn't decide to sit on it for a week. I ordered it early August and it should be nice upgrade from my v2. Finally a good way to keep an eye on the ECT temps on track.
      09-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
kev335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335rocks View Post
Yup. Should arrive tomorrow if you can believe FedEx and customs doesn't decide to sit on it for a week. I ordered it early and it should be nice upgrade from my v2. Finally a good way to keep an eye on the ECT temps on track.
nice hope it turns up on time for you. I should have ordered earlier. Oh well. I will be interested to hear your thoughts on it / flash times etc. I hate having to wait for customs too. At least the delay in shipping should mean I can get my hfs-4 delivered and fitted in time for the cobb.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

COBB shipped it from the US with FedEx Friday and I had it Monday before noon. It's nice when things arrive this quick and customs don't interfere . I definitely prefer FedEx and don't mind paying a bit extra for this service if I have a choice. USPS is the worst, they are slow and customs always seems to sit on it for a week before they bill you some obscene amount. Heck they should be paying me for being slow.

Flash times may appear a bit quicker, but it's hard to tell as it really depends on how much it has to read and write. E.g. switching between my PTF maps are pretty quick and normally take around 1-2min. Same as the v2 handset. Switching from one of these to e.g. an OTS map took around 9min. I think the initial install took around 45min including flashing the Stg 2+ flash, but I didn't pay too much attention. Uninstalling v2 and installing v3 was a good 1.5h, so I used the opportunity to wash my car. The new handset is much quicker than the old v2 that at time could appear a bit sluggish. Changing items and navigating the menus appear very quick and responsive.

I couldn't go straight to my PTF maps, as I needed to get an upgrade licence key from COBB before I could use them. This is because they are locked to my v2 serial number. COBB sent me that key today, so everything is sorted. Now I just need to return my v2 so I can't get some money back from the upgrade.

The gauge display seems nice and a good way to get the info you need at a glance. Each counter have min/max values in small print so you don't need to look at the counter to see what the max oil and coolant temps were. You can do this later when it's safe to look. The cradle is also good and allow you to control the handset with little effort.

I'll try to collect some logs when I'm at Brands Hatch tomorrow morning. I'm quite looking forward to driving the GP circuit for a change as it's a much better track configuration. Time will tell if my temps are under control or if I need to drop back to a OTS maps to prevent limp mode. My ER oil cooler should help, but the ECT may become a problem. Fingers crossed everything will be alright.
      09-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Apogee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d/Lancer Evolution X

I bought this for my Evolution X and I must say they have truly upgraded the v2
      09-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

335rocks, so Cobb are allowing you to buy the v3 first then letting you send the v2 back at a later date for a rebate?

I want to upgrade too but the way I read it was the other way round. I cant be without my PTF maps for 2-4 weeks!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
kev335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

335rocks. Thank you. This is exactly the kind of info I was after. I still have no confirmation of shipping and looking forward to it even more now! Good luck at the track and I'm glad you like it
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #8
kev335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
335rocks, so Cobb are allowing you to buy the v3 first then letting you send the v2 back at a later date for a rebate?

I want to upgrade too but the way I read it was the other way round. I cant be without my PTF maps for 2-4 weeks!!!
I'm pretty sure you pay full price and get refunded upon return of the v2. Im buying out right so can't confirm.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post

COBB offer a trade in programme which is only available from them.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/SearchResu...p?Search=v3+up

So you pay full price on the new v3 handset ($895) + shipping to the UK ($47) and you then have 30 days to return the v2 handset+cables and they'll refund you half the price + some shipping discount for International customers (US customers get pre-paid return shipping). When you get the v3 handset, get the serial number from the new v3 handset (behind the facia plate or through Access Manager and e-mail Tim at COBB with the info specified here.
https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en...Map-Conversion

Tim will then send you the conversion key so you can use your locked v2 maps. When you have your v3 device, copy the PTF maps to the new handset and un-marry your v2 device. Then it's just a matter of flashing the car again with v3 and job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev335i View Post
335rocks. Thank you. This is exactly the kind of info I was after. I still have no confirmation of shipping and looking forward to it even more now! Good luck at the track and I'm glad you like it
Yeah, Brands Hatch GP circuit was excellent and I really wish it was open more days a year as I much prefer that to the Indy circuit. The back stretch has some really nice fast corners and elevation changes that remind me of the Ring. The day looked fairly busy with around 50+ cars registered but after the initial session things quieted down a lot and there was hardly any traffic to see on the track. The day seemed to be more a test day for some and there was a Ferrari 430 race car there on slicks that was pretty quick. They make you feel a bit average when they turn up with a big artic with ramps, pit crew, pit garage walls with sectioned entrances and the whole chabang.

The new v3 handset was really useful to keep an eye on the temperatures and data log all the sessions. The weather was pretty warm and my oil and ECT temps were a bit high for my liking. Luckily it was only at the end of each sessions so I'll get a track map that is running around 17.0-18 PSI mid range and my cooling should be okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev335i View Post
I'm pretty sure you pay full price and get refunded upon return of the v2. Im buying out right so can't confirm.
Correct, as long as you buy it from COBB. None of their vendors are able to offer the trade-in program.