E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > again, my extended warranty experience

08-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

again, my extended warranty experience

I am the original owner of my 2k7 335 coupe.

I have NEVER used the extended warranty once, and it will expire in 3 mos.

I was even told by the dealer, we do not check things under a CPO. I thought I could pay $50, and have stuff brought to their attention.

They told me that for each item reported, if there is nothing wrong, a diagnostic fee is applied.

Moral of the story, extended warranties are hardly worth it. I have driven the entire extended warranty period with my N54 and had ZERO issues!!

Yesterday, I flipped FB stock @ 41.69 and gained 7,600. Subtract the 2,900 for the 7/100 gold and I'm still out ahead. You win some, you lose some. BMW extended warranties are the latter.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

That's like saying life insurance isn't worth it if you don't die young. The fact you didn't have an issue that caused you to make a claim is a GOOD thing. If any one of several potential failures had occurred, you would have been covered. You're not Winning if your car breaks down so you can use your Warranty.
      08-31-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
That's like saying life insurance isn't worth it if you don't die young. The fact you didn't have an issue that caused you to make a claim is a GOOD thing. If any one of several potential failures had occurred, you would have been covered. You're not Winning if your car breaks down so you can use your Warranty.
I know what you're saying, but statistically (obviously) the bean counters at BMW can show that this program wins for them. If it doesn't, they adjust the terms, such as if you complain about something, and the dealer doesn't find it, you don't just pay your deductible, you pay the full diagnostic cost.

Life insurance is different. I do not have it right now, but must get it as we have a baby on the way. Life insurance is to replace lost income.

The big difference between an extended warranty and insurance is the price. Extended warranties carry big prices, with diminished benefits. Insurance carries a small price, with a large benefit...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
RallyRcrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

In my experience, even if the warranty isn't used it does provide peace of mind. Not many people are experienced enough to wrench complicated bits of our BMWs like the transmission, diffs, cooling, etc when a problem does occur so its probably much more useful for less mechanically inclined types.

If you do try the extended warranty again, I highly suggest USAA if you can. They have a $0 deductible for any and all issues. I've had those headaches with the $50 fees. It's doesn't sound like much at first, but after you've taken it in a few times it adds up.
Appreciate 0