E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Front end noise / transmission cooler lines (VIDEO)

08-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
DrRockSalt
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Front end noise / transmission cooler lines (VIDEO)

This is a re-post of an issue I've had earlier, but I figured I'd give it another go.

2009 335xi with just shy of 50k miles. When coasting or lightly braking, I get a slight "thumping" noise from the front end that corresponds with wheel speed. You can hear the noise from about any speed, though it's much easier to hear at 40 mph to 20 mph due to road noise. It also may occur when accelerating, but I have yet to hear it. This noise only seems to show up when the car is warm or hot. As mentioned, it corresponds to wheel speed, and I'm 60% sure NOT with engine RPM.

Here's a video of it at 20 mph from a while ago. Might have to turn your speakers up to hear the "knock" noise:

I've taken the car in to two separate dealers (under warranty) three different times. First dealer couldn't reproduce it, and were kind of jerks. Second dealer I went with a tech and he thought it was very strange, and he'd never heard it before. They immediately blamed tires, and swapped some different wheels / tires on. No change.

A day later, they say my car is done. They claim that it's transmission cooler lines knocking against something when slowing down (hence why it does it when warm or hot). They also claim that this is really common on 5 series cars. Why were you so perplexed when hearing it at first, then? When grilled as to why they don't do something, they claim "Well, nothing seems to fix it. See ya!"

I'm getting a bit frustrated with the problem. It's not noticeable to most people, I imagine, but once you know it's there, it gets super annoying. Any help is appreciated.

Just to be clear, it's not the hood open, or the wheels being loose (they've been off and on a bunch now). I feel like the simple stuff has kind of been covered.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

Tire and bearing noise are very hard to tell apart, if you have eliminated the tires it's very likely the bearing. The xi's see more bearing issues than the 2 wheel drive cars.
Appreciate 0