2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions iDrive and iPhone Integration DIY

08-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
iDrive and iPhone Integration DIY

This does not require a PhD in Electrical Engineering or Computer science, but it sure comes close!

Whenever I help someone with iDrive and iPhone integration, I ask them to complete the following steps before trying any other troubleshooting:

Disclaimer: This works with IOS 7 and Bluetooth and Media software carried in update UPD01006 as installed in my 3/11 build 535i. Also, in order for this to work, your phone has to be locked so let it lock before testing the setup.

Get your car’s latest Bluetooth and Media software
(You will need the last seven characters of your VIN and a small capacity (10MB) USB data stick):
Go to the BMW Software Update site:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp
Enter your VIN in the data field and press Enter to make the web site read your VIN
Download the latest version of software and copy it to a USB data stick

Remove your Car from your phone

Go to your car with your phone and the USB data stick
Turn your phone’s Bluetooth OFF
Start your car
Insert the USB data stick in the USB socket in the center console armrest storage area

Remove your phone from iDrive
Update the car’s software
Using the iDrive armrest controller,
Press the iDrive MENU button, navigate to:
Settings => Software Update => Update Software
Follow the prompts and allow the car to update the software
(You can always revert to an older version using the same menu)

Configure the CAR’s Bluetooth features
Select all of the features that apply to your situation.
For example, my features are Bluetooth Audio, Office, Show images, and Additional telephone

Rediscover and connect your phone
Turn on your phone’s Bluetooth
Add your phone
During the configuration, select all of the features that apply to your situation.
For example, my only configuration option selected is Telephone
(I have a snap-in adapter, so Audio doesn’t come through Bluetooth)

Configure your Phone’s SMS and email notification settings
Settings => Notifications => Messages or Mail (The same parameters apply to both)
Notification Center: ON
Alert Style: Alerts
Badge App Icon: ON
Show Preview: ON
View in Lock Screen: ON

Configure your Phone’s Bluetooth notification settings
Settings => Bluetooth
On your car’s label, click on the little blue circle with the white arrow on the right side
Turn on "show notifications."

Last edited by MWPos; 09-20-2013 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Update to discuss IOS 7
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
Iancar
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

I assume this is for post 9/2010 f10s.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
I'm not sure of the cut off date, but I did recently try to help a guy whose car did not have the software update option in iDrive. Is it a build date, or an equipment issue? I do not know
      09-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
I have updated this to show that the procedure works with IOS 7 and UPD10006.

Please let me know if anyone has any updates that I should make to the procedures.
      09-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
berkel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 550ix

Hi,

Thanks for the write-up.

Do you have to do the workaround where you "kill" the mail process everytime your phone connects? Emails work for me in ios6 and now ios7, but only if I wait for bluetooth to connect, kill mail process, and lock phone each time. It's second nature now, but annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkel View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the write-up.

Do you have to do the workaround where you "kill" the mail process everytime your phone connects? Emails work for me in ios6 and now ios7, but only if I wait for bluetooth to connect, kill mail process, and lock phone each time. It's second nature now, but annoying.
I do not have to kill my Mail or Message apps for the message envelopes to appear on iDrive. I do have a habit of rebooting my phone every few days....usually when I'm horribly bored during a meeting and even pulling out my nose hairs one at a time has lost its appeal.

Rebooting involves holding down the front button and the top button at the same time, and continuously, until the Apple icon reappears.
      10-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

I have a 2014 535 that IOS7 loses BT connection during audio. When I can get the BT audio to play I can't change tracks and after a few seconds it loses the audio even though I still have the signal strength of the phone on the idrive screen. So I followed these steps in this thread. When I put the jump drive in my car, the idrive says it's not the correct software. I used the last 7 of the VIN and downloaded the file. I've done this software update on multiple other BMW's I've own and never had this problem. Anyone with a 2014 wanna chime in? Thanks I'm advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

This is a fantastic post - thanks for taking the time.

I had issues previously with my iPhone 4 and these steps solved it.

Now I'm having problems with my iPhone 5s and connectivity to internet that are driving me mad. Originally it worked with the iPhone 4 then stopped - perhaps around the time I upgraded to iOs7. Now I get the same problem with the 5s - no internet connection. This means that BMW Live and the Internet option no longer work.

I have no problem with web radio, Facebook and other items that require connection to the phone. When I choose internet it does make use of my personal hotspot by showing the blue bar at the top. Still I get the same no page, or no connection error.

many hours later, reading manuals and sites like these - I think I'm going to have to give up and take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
leftymo
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

I don't have a problem with bluetooth connecting via my iphone 5S. But the USB is essentially useless in my 2011 550i (manufactured 6/2010).

It won't connect to a 5th generation old school ipod, it won't connect to a newer ipod nano via lightning, it won't connect to an iphone via lightning. It won't connect using the BMW $55.00 cable.

The Snap-in interface is the most confusing thing available to BMW customers. The website, nor people at the parts department can figure out which one I need or will work with mine.

I tried the USB update, and BMW says my car is upto date. Nothing to download.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Dobervol
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Manual, Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
I'm not sure of the cut off date, but I did recently try to help a guy whose car did not have the software update option in iDrive. Is it a build date, or an equipment issue? I do not know
If you (or anyone else here) find out, please tell me. I've spent an entire day doing internet searches, and can't find anything that seems to answer this question. I have an early F10 w/a build date of 7/10. My menu ends with "profiles," and has no software update option. The BMW website also tells me when I enter my last 7 VIN #s that, "You are running the latest software. There is no software update available."

My car displays and plays music just fine through my wife's older iphone or an ipod with the larger male connector and "y" cable, but using the white apple cable that just has the USB/Lightning connector for my brand new 5c just shows "not supported" on the CD/Multimedia screen when I hook it up to my USB port in the center console.

I have also R'd the F'ing M, as folks justifiably suggest, but it doesn't address it. Did the little Lightning connector even exist then?

Have you heard of anyone with an EARLY 2011 model who has had success with a Lightning converter and an older Y cable? BMW says this would work, but they also say the white apple USB cable should work, and I sure don't want to buy one unless I know it will do the job.

It would be beyond a right royal p*$$er for me to not even be able to get music from my phone to work with the car using a cable. I'd have to basically put all my music on an ipod and keep both it and the iphone in the car just to make calls.

Thanks greatly in advance for anyone who can offer me some guidance here.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
Dobervol
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Manual, Graphite

Maybe this will help some other folks in my situation who aren't extremely tech-savvy like me, but the "Genius" at the other end of the BMW hotline, 1.844.443.6487, insists the Lightning adaptor is all the early F10s need to work.

In other words, if anyone else has gone through this without benefit of a 10 year old child to help him, I'm admitting my own stupidity for the betterment of others.

Part of my confusion was that there were numerous posts on this and other BMW forums stating that you only needed the white apple wire that came with your iphone 5. Apparently, the first iOS6 iphone 5 was packaged with a converter/adaptor wire to change the 30-pin to Lightning, but the 5c iOS7 iphone does not include that little goodie.

Also, as I've read in other posts from people, BMW now says the apple adaptor wire seems to be giving people more difficulty with charging the phone through the Y cable than just the square adaptor with no wire.

Bottom line is I've been assured that I will have the same functionality with iphone 5c as with a 4 once I buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightnin.../dp/B009A5EIWC

Of course, they also told me that if I'd just order a new 5 Series, I'd have no issues whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Need some help.

I cant get messages and email up on my idrive from my iphone5.

I have followed the above DIY to the letter.
Updated my cars software to the latest UPD10006, all to no avail.

My handsfree works like a charm, so does media streaming, and internet using my phone as a modem.
But I cant get SMS or email to show on the idrive.
I have tried both connected with a cable to the USB, and using just BT.

I get the message option in office and telephone menu, but whenever it searches for messages it just comes up with "no messages" even though I have unread SMS and emails on my phone.

Like I said, I have made sure both car and phone are set up just as in the first post, but it still does not work. I am not sure what to try next.
My car is a 2012. With the 6NH hands-free facility w. USB interface option.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Ok, I have figured this out.
The system will only display messages that you receive while your phone is connected to the car.
Any unread messages from before you connect are not shown.
I have not tried to have unread messages, and checked if they come up aswell if you get a new one while connected.
At least I have confirmed that it now works with my iphone and idrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #14
Jhenka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Need some help.

I cant get messages and email up on my idrive from my iphone5.

I have followed the above DIY to the letter.
Updated my cars software to the latest UPD10006, all to no avail.

My handsfree works like a charm, so does media streaming, and internet using my phone as a modem.
But I cant get SMS or email to show on the idrive.
I have tried both connected with a cable to the USB, and using just BT.

I get the message option in office and telephone menu, but whenever it searches for messages it just comes up with "no messages" even though I have unread SMS and emails on my phone.

Like I said, I have made sure both car and phone are set up just as in the first post, but it still does not work. I am not sure what to try next.
My car is a 2012. With the 6NH hands-free facility w. USB interface option.
How did you figure it out? I'm still having the same problem. I followed all the instructions to the t and still no messages or emails. Does the phone HAVE to be plugged in or will bluetooth alone suffice?
Haven't been able to get office to do anything more than display the contacts on my phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #15
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenka View Post
How did you figure it out? I'm still having the same problem. I followed all the instructions to the t and still no messages or emails. Does the phone HAVE to be plugged in or will bluetooth alone suffice?
Haven't been able to get office to do anything more than display the contacts on my phone.
As I said in my post. Only messages and email that you get while the phone is connected to the car will come up, if you get a mail or a SMS while walking to the car it will not come up once the phone connects to the car.

I don't understand why, I have just accepted it that way.

I have still not been able to try if any unread SMS or mails from before the phone connected to the car will also come up if a new message is received after it has connected.

I plug my phone in the USB port for music streaming, but the hands free is BT. So I can't say if this will work connected to one or the other.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #16
Jhenka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
As I said in my post. Only messages and email that you get while the phone is connected to the car will come up, if you get a mail or a SMS while walking to the car it will not come up once the phone connects to the car.

I don't understand why, I have just accepted it that way.

I have still not been able to try if any unread SMS or mails from before the phone connected to the car will also come up if a new message is received after it has connected.

I plug my phone in the USB port for music streaming, but the hands free is BT. So I can't say if this will work connected to one or the other.
I actually figured it it out recently. Its a cool feature but a bit underdeveloped. Even when the sms is read on the phone (it cam in while i was already in the car) the screen still displays an sms notification until you read it from the idrive. Would have been nice if the idrive had a live notification system but oh'well i guess we can dream right? lol
Appreciate 0