BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

10-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

My first M3 service

My car has just gone through its run-in service, so I can finally use it properly!

The service itself was painful. Nothing to do with the car, but having been told that it would take 45 minutes, I elected to wait in the dealership for it. However, it took over 3 hours!! After an hour I was bored. By two, I was grumpy. When it got to three, I shouted at them...

Anyway I finally got it back and have spent most of today kicking the arse out of it to see how it performs now that I can use the full rev range (without feeling guilty! )

So, what can I tell you that I didn't know before? Well, from 6,500 revs the engine REALLY comes alive! Up until that point the accelaration is pretty much linear, but there is a definite surge over the last couple of thousand revs. Also, gear changes at the rev limiter are sweet. So sweet, in fact, that you can flat shift from third to fourth and barely even notice the change! I'll film it at some point and let you see what I mean. It really is quite incredible.

Up until about 120mph it pulls pretty much as hard as the M5. It's only when you hit speeds that will land you time in jail in the UK that you really start to notice the 85bhp deficit. It will still pull all the way up to the speed limiter, but it loses a little of the effortless urgency that you get in the V10.

Anyway, bedtime now, but I'll see if I can add more to this tomorrow...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Awesome!
      10-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Well done. Very interested in the video. I want to watch it and then lament the amount of time I have to wait to experience the same thing.
      10-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

[QUOTE=Filthy Monkey;1501190]

So, what can I tell you that I didn't know before? Well, from 6,500 revs the engine REALLY comes alive! Up until that point the accelaration is pretty much linear, but there is a definite surge over the last couple of thousand revs.

Could be this what I wrote in my post about the rumors I eard?that untill 5000 km there is a sort of electronic control of the power delivery to protect the engine from insane onwers?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 02:16 AM   #5
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Nice! This is def very exciting news and I to will love to see the video. Too much info is never enough if you know what I mean.

Thanx for posting.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Filthy Monkey you are doing a great job at selling me this car!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
ChrisW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

FM
Sounds good - looking forward to using the whole rev range for myself.

My car is booked in for the run in sevice on Tuesday. They told me only an hour.....did I want to wait.....no loan car available. Luckily my salesman had offered his car to me and I've taken up the offer. Wouldn't be happy with your experience.

Going to take the opportunity to leave the car with them to look at a front skirt mark which it came with - lower right corner where it seems to have been pushed into the oil cooler (?) and a slight pimple can be seen. Don't much like the thought of them dismantling for a very small mark but I'll see what they think they can do.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I can't wait until this car hits our shores.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
Going to take the opportunity to leave the car with them to look at a front skirt mark which it came with - lower right corner where it seems to have been pushed into the oil cooler (?) and a slight pimple can be seen. Don't much like the thought of them dismantling for a very small mark but I'll see what they think they can do.
I find the whole paint job to be really quite poor, to be honest. Don't know if it's because it was one of the first cars, but there's a real orange peel effect on every panel. I may get them to polish it again to make it a bit flatter.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 06:19 AM   #10
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
I find the whole paint job to be really quite poor, to be honest. Don't know if it's because it was one of the first cars, but there's a real orange peel effect on every panel. I may get them to polish it again to make it a bit flatter.

Just went an had a look at an orange, surely it can't be that bad?

Can you expand on this a little, how you spotted it etc?

Do you think it's cause of the Supaguard?

How will polishing it make it flatter?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 08:28 AM   #11
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

Well, it's certainly not orange, but it's definitely pimply Having spent this much on a car, I would expect a mirror finish to the paint, but that's just not the case. If you look at the panels from certain angles you can see the coarseness on the surface. I don't think it's anything to do with the Supaguard, just a poor paint job from the factory.

As for polishing to improve it, a fairly coarse rubbing compound will normally flatten the finish and remove blemishes. This can leave light surface scratches and swirl marks, but these can be removed by buffing with a very fine grit. I guess they would need to re-apply the Supaguard afterwards, although I'm not sure...

I'll let you know how I get on.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #12
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Well, it's certainly not orange, but it's definitely pimply Having spent this much on a car, I would expect a mirror finish to the paint, but that's just not the case. If you look at the panels from certain angles you can see the coarseness on the surface. I don't think it's anything to do with the Supaguard, just a poor paint job from the factory.

As for polishing to improve it, a fairly coarse rubbing compound will normally flatten the finish and remove blemishes. This can leave light surface scratches and swirl marks, but these can be removed by buffing with a very fine grit. I guess they would need to re-apply the Supaguard afterwards, although I'm not sure...

I'll let you know how I get on.

Monkey,how much was the first service charge mate??
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post

They don't charge for the 1200 mile run in service.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #14
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

[QUOTE=savage.ulm1;1501515]
Quote:

So, what can I tell you that I didn't know before? Well, from 6,500 revs the engine REALLY comes alive! Up until that point the accelaration is pretty much linear, but there is a definite surge over the last couple of thousand revs.

Could be this what I wrote in my post about the rumors I eard?that untill 5000 km there is a sort of electronic control of the power delivery to protect the engine from insane onwers?
savage if what you stated in your other posts are true, then that means there will be ECU upgrades that will stop this electronic control of power delivery, so insane owners can pull more.....

muhahahhaha......

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #15
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

I seriously hope this 5000km engine protection thing is BS. Its painfull enough waiting for the standard engine run in
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #16
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post

As JB says, it's included in the purchase cost, and rightly so, considering how much the damn car costs this time around!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #17
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As JB says, it's included in the purchase cost, and rightly so, considering how much the damn car costs this time around!!!

Hey filthy, you seem uncharacteristically preoccupied with how much you paid for the car, in a nut shell, any regrets? Bullet points are fine.

It's just that I have been wondering whether - aside from having a new car that others don't - you still think the m3 is all that?

You've got a 'your precise spec M3 on order'; you still gonna take it or are you gonna switch to the audi rs5???

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #18
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

I still love the car as it puts a massive smile on my face whenever I drive it, but it just makes me sick everytime I hear the same price quoted in dollars as I paid in pounds...!!!

I will definitely still take the 'my spec' car as well, but I think I'm going to hold off until the DCT gearbox is available. There is so little I would change on the car that it's not worth wasting money going into a new car right now until there is a significant reason to. Let's hope DCT makes it here for spring.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #19
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:

result,cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #20
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Orange peel = BMW paint jobs.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #21
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I still love the car as it puts a massive smile on my face whenever I drive it, but it just makes me sick everytime I hear the same price quoted in dollars as I paid in pounds...!!!

Thanks for the reassurance!! The US cars will have a lower level of standard spec so I guess that is something. Still, with the poor USD level I just can't see how prices will be that low.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 06:42 AM   #22
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

Just found this that thread has been moved to the servicing and maintenance section and can't understand why! This is about how the car performs after the service, not about servicing the car. It should have been left in the main forum...!
Appreciate 0