BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches

08-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Wrinckled
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1990 325i

Respectable Affordable Watch Suggestions

Hi all, I'm a recent college grad with and got lucky with a nice job. I've started collecting time pieces here and there, but none are really "nice". What sort of watches would you recommend for some high quality affordable watches?

Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

What's your price range? Hamilton Jazzmaster should get you started..it's more of a dressy watch though so it would depend on what your profession is.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Affordable will generally mean you're looking for something with an ETA movement. I'm partial to German watches, so Archimede, Sinn, Damasko and Muhle Glashutte would be where I'd start looking.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Can't go wrong with a Patek Philippe, just make sure you have very deep pockets.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
you cant go wrong with Nixon watchs
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Tissot. Victorinox. Hamilton.
      08-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Lum-Tec
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Invicta makes nice, affordable watches.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Seiko series 5, yobokies modded. Unique.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau View Post
Tissot. Victorinox. Hamilton.
Agreed.
      08-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i DCT

Seiko 5, Hamilton, or Tissot are all relatively inexpensive timepieces that would be respected among watch enthusiast.

Hamilton is a great watch company with a lot of history. They had a huge impact on the railroad system that lead to the time zones that we now know today.

If you wanted to go up a bit in price and quality you could look into purchasing used from an Authorized retailer. I would suggest Omega, TAG, or Baume & Mercier to start.

With all the watch company's out there just choose what you like that's within your range. Just be weary of being fooled by fakes, or poor quality pieces. You should go for pieces with sappier crystal, stainless steel, and ETA Automatic movements, if you go the automatic route(with the exception of Seiko 5). Ultimately it's your money and your wrist. If it keeps time and keeps you happy then it's a good watch. I hope my opinions help.

Check out watchuseek.com for a wealth of information on watches.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Seiko orange monster:

http://www.wristwatchreview.com/favo...range-monster/

One of the other monster watches would be good as well. Chris Ward would work too.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
Wrinckled
Enlisted Member
Rep

Awesome, thanks for the help everyone - I'll post pics once I make my decision.

(Looking for a classic, brown leather strap, dark face watch)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
Wrinckled
Enlisted Member
Rep

A Vintage Omega Seamaster DeVille

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
my good friend started his own company and creates some fantastic watches. go check them out!!!

http://www.autodromo.com/

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

holy crap those are beautiful! The monoposto is stunning...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Can't go wrong with a Patek Philippe, just make sure you have very deep pockets.
And to just what garage sale do you recommend he go find an affordable one?

OP, I have no idea what affordable means to you, but I'm assuming it means $1000 give or take. I would recommend you avoid most watched priced between $1500 and $2000 because in that price range, very few are actually of note, but most are trying to be grander than they are, speaking loudly (marketing) and carrying a small stick (generic in movement, materials, manufacture, and pedigree). Some brands/watches I'd suggest you look at for a variety of reasons and in no particular order:
  • Hamilton Jazzmaster - A fine watch, but a bit pricier than what I suspect you are seeking. ($1600) (http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/)
  • Red8 - fun style and you can custom design the watch yourself. ($600-$900) These watches are very sporty looking, so while they are fine for business casual, they won't do for dressier situations, unless your personal style is just quirky that way. (http://www.red8world.com/)
  • Glashütte - Tangente - a watch from a serious watch maker and simple enough that it can be worn anywhere and be appropriate ($1200-$1400 or so). Elegant looking. (http://www.nomos-glashuette.com/en/watches/tangente/)
  • Vintage watches -- you may have to go this route if you want the big names in horology. Most will still run well over $1000, however, especially if you are buying from the big vintage retailers like Tourneau on whom you can rely that what you buy will be authentic and in good condition. You'll have to put some legwork into finding something of high quality and low price. The trick here is that, for the most part, you'll need to be somewhat watch savvy yourself so you don't get taken as you try to buy a grand watch at a miniscule price. And, of course, what's available varies constantly. Here's one you can reasonably expect to find without too much effort.
    • Seiko - Seiko 5! - has the characteristics of a "watch that matters," but being available for less than $100 (and more likely less than $75), nearly anyone can have what would can yet be called a "watch guy's watch." Its styling won't draw attention to itself, but those in the know will know. Nobody else will bother to mention it, yet they will recognize the brand. It's not made of gold or some exotic material -- it's steel -- so it can't be called a luxury watch, but as a timepiece of note, it ticks all the right boxes, including having an in-house, mechanical movement, and a pedigree beyond reproach, which is isn't something most folks commonly think of with Seiko.
  • Other vintage watch suggestions:
    • Heuer, but probably not Tag Heuer, unless, of course, you just see a used Tag that you like and just want it. Otherwise, Tag makes plenty of new watches that are affordable, and Lord knows Tag is popular among the masses.
    • Movado -- 1940s-1950s museum watch.
    • The 1950s and 1960s were great decades for watches. There're a lot to choose from this era. I suggest checking out some watch forums to get better sense of some good ways to direct your resources.
  • Reactor -- Military watch priced so any private can afford it. ($400) (http://www.reactorwatch.com/reactor_trident.html)
Well there you go. A small listing of notable watches at least one of which can fit into just anyone's budget. All are examples of good watches that watch people will appreciate, but the masses may or may not even know much about. Of the options suggested above, had I just graduated from college, I'd pick the Glashütte, or if I didn't want so staid a watch, and I intend to have more than one watch, Red8.

Lastly, you may want to check out some watch forums. Just as I wouldn't go to a watch forum and ask what German sport sedan is worth considering, I wouldn't come here to ask about a watch. You may find some good input that is offered with knowledge, objectivity and integrity, but you'll do better on a forum devoted to watches. Even though I know a little something about watches, that's a result of research into specific brands and items, having the means to choose brands long known for their quality, and being slightly remorseful upon learning I essentially wasted money on watches that fell into that $1500-$2500 category I mentioned above. What I have to offer is not the result of my having a broad general knowledge of the subject.

All the best and good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Stowa is another German brand to consider that makes some reasonably priced options. www.watchbuys.com has lots of good German brands and provides good service. I've bought a few watches from now.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
holy crap those are beautiful! The monoposto is stunning...
it's even more beautiful in real life....seriously!!

those are their higher end ones, and then there are some more entry level ones on their collections page if you scroll down.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
it's even more beautiful in real life....seriously!!

those are their higher end ones, and then there are some more entry level ones on their collections page if you scroll down.
does he plan on having anymore ? they are nice but sold out.
      08-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
does he plan on having anymore ? they are nice but sold out.
yes new range coming shortly. the black monopostos are still in stock.

there are some other watches in the collections section that are still available as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #22
bkbeagle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
And to just what garage sale do you recommend he go find an affordable one?

OP, I have no idea what affordable means to you, but I'm assuming it means $1000 give or take. I would recommend you avoid most watched priced between $1500 and $2000 because in that price range, very few are actually of note, but most are trying to be grander than they are, speaking loudly (marketing) and carrying a small stick (generic in movement, materials, manufacture, and pedigree). Some brands/watches I'd suggest you look at for a variety of reasons and in no particular order:
  • Hamilton Jazzmaster - A fine watch, but a bit pricier than what I suspect you are seeking. ($1600) (http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/)
  • Red8 - fun style and you can custom design the watch yourself. ($600-$900) These watches are very sporty looking, so while they are fine for business casual, they won't do for dressier situations, unless your personal style is just quirky that way. (http://www.red8world.com/)
  • Glashütte - Tangente - a watch from a serious watch maker and simple enough that it can be worn anywhere and be appropriate ($1200-$1400 or so). Elegant looking. (http://www.nomos-glashuette.com/en/watches/tangente/)
  • Vintage watches -- you may have to go this route if you want the big names in horology. Most will still run well over $1000, however, especially if you are buying from the big vintage retailers like Tourneau on whom you can rely that what you buy will be authentic and in good condition. You'll have to put some legwork into finding something of high quality and low price. The trick here is that, for the most part, you'll need to be somewhat watch savvy yourself so you don't get taken as you try to buy a grand watch at a miniscule price. And, of course, what's available varies constantly. Here's one you can reasonably expect to find without too much effort.
    • Seiko - Seiko 5! - has the characteristics of a "watch that matters," but being available for less than $100 (and more likely less than $75), nearly anyone can have what would can yet be called a "watch guy's watch." Its styling won't draw attention to itself, but those in the know will know. Nobody else will bother to mention it, yet they will recognize the brand. It's not made of gold or some exotic material -- it's steel -- so it can't be called a luxury watch, but as a timepiece of note, it ticks all the right boxes, including having an in-house, mechanical movement, and a pedigree beyond reproach, which is isn't something most folks commonly think of with Seiko.
  • Other vintage watch suggestions:
    • Heuer, but probably not Tag Heuer, unless, of course, you just see a used Tag that you like and just want it. Otherwise, Tag makes plenty of new watches that are affordable, and Lord knows Tag is popular among the masses.
    • Movado -- 1940s-1950s museum watch.
    • The 1950s and 1960s were great decades for watches. There're a lot to choose from this era. I suggest checking out some watch forums to get better sense of some good ways to direct your resources.
  • Reactor -- Military watch priced so any private can afford it. ($400) (http://www.reactorwatch.com/reactor_trident.html)
Well there you go. A small listing of notable watches at least one of which can fit into just anyone's budget. All are examples of good watches that watch people will appreciate, but the masses may or may not even know much about. Of the options suggested above, had I just graduated from college, I'd pick the Glashütte, or if I didn't want so staid a watch, and I intend to have more than one watch, Red8.

Lastly, you may want to check out some watch forums. Just as I wouldn't go to a watch forum and ask what German sport sedan is worth considering, I wouldn't come here to ask about a watch. You may find some good input that is offered with knowledge, objectivity and integrity, but you'll do better on a forum devoted to watches. Even though I know a little something about watches, that's a result of research into specific brands and items, having the means to choose brands long known for their quality, and being slightly remorseful upon learning I essentially wasted money on watches that fell into that $1500-$2500 category I mentioned above. What I have to offer is not the result of my having a broad general knowledge of the subject.

All the best and good luck.

OP - this is excellent and well thought out advice. This is definitely something that I wish I had known back in the day

Good luck!

2013 335i Mojave Luxury, Dakota Venetian Beige
Cold/Premium Package, NAV, Driver Assist
Appreciate 0