F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Comfort Access Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

08-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
anotherguitarplayer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

Garage List
2021 BMW M550  [0.00]
Comfort Access Retrofit

I've been doing research on the level of effort involved in retrofitting CA on a 13 F30 328i. All other threads I've looked at seemed to have died off or turned into a discussion about the value/function of it.

It seems like this would be less involved than previous generation retrofits. According to tech documents, the CAS module is now integrated into our FEM. So aside from the door handles, door lock trim, antennas (not counting the trunk pieces) and coding, it seems like less parts and wiring is required. I guess there is still the question of whether or now the CA wiring harness is pre-wired in the door. Most discussions state that BMW doesn't pre-wire anymore, but I thought I read somewhere that someone had a door rattle (without CA) and were told it was because of the CA harness in the door.

The other major obstacle in the past was the fact of obtaining a comfort access fob from BMW. I looked on real.oem and it doesn't list a separate part number for the FOB with CA, like it did for previous generations. They do list different part numbers for which "line" you have (color stripe) and whether or not you have the alarm. This leads me to believe it might there might only be one fob now whether or not you have CA.

Thoughts/Comments?

Last edited by anotherguitarplayer; 08-07-2013 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelayer_pres View Post
I've been doing research on the level of effort involved in retrofitting CA on a 13 F30 328i. All other threads I've looked at seemed to have died off or turned into a discussion about the value/function of it.

It seems like this would be less involved than previous generation retrofits. According to tech documents, the CAS module is now integrated into our FEM. So aside from the door handles, door lock trim, antennas (not counting the trunk pieces) and coding, it seems like less parts and wiring is required. I guess there is still the question of whether or now the CA wiring harness is pre-wired in the door. Most discussions state that BMW doesn't pre-wire anymore, but I thought I read somewhere that someone had a door rattle (without CA) and were told it was because of the CA harness in the door.

The other major obstacle in the past was the fact of obtaining a comfort access fob from BMW. I looked on real.oem and it doesn't list a separate part number for the FOB with CA, like it did for previous generations. They do list different part numbers for which "line" you have (color stripe) and whether or not you have the alarm. This leads me to believe it might there might only be one fob now whether or not you have CA.

Thoughts/Comments?
For F10 CAS, there are different part numbers for with and without CA, as the CA version has the FOB antenna. I would check FEM_BODY, and see if it also has two different versions, as you may need a different one.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
TheDukeYYC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: TBD: F30 320i ZSP + ZMT ?

I am also interested in this. The car has most of the parts already thanks to standard push button ignition... I was hoping it would just be some code!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukeYYC View Post
I am also interested in this. The car has most of the parts already thanks to standard push button ignition... I was hoping it would just be some code!
No, its quite a bit of hardware too.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
anotherguitarplayer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

Garage List
2021 BMW M550  [0.00]
There is definitely a bit of hardware as shawnsheridan said. I'm still interested in this, but I've been busy the past few weeks. I did pull the schematics a while back for the wiring and the locations for the comfort access antennas. I also still need to build a cable to verify the coding that was suggested.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

i find it kinda silly that cars without CA can do engine start without the key.....they basically put half the work in already
Appreciate 0