F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 Stage 2 Retrofitting?
GetBMWParts

08-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
GhazaliGTE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

JB4 Stage 2 Retrofitting?

I recently purchased a JB4 Stage 2 w/USB for my F30 from an owner of an E92. I hooked everything up as it should (I think) but it isn't working properly. Has anyone done this before?

His posting was for N55 engines so I assume the diode is already cut but I haven't checked. I made the three relay connections, the brown and green CAN wires, and the power/ground. When I connect it to my port it doesn't detect a JB4. I heard that I may need to swap the CAN wires to other ones but I don't know if I trust that since the pic on the PDF instructions from BMS shows the same ones I connected.

Anyone able to help out here? BMS said they don't offer support for second hand users so I'm turning to the forums. To any Houston area guys who can help out, please PM me for my number! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

I would contact/ email terry burger directly to troubleshoot
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
GhazaliGTE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
I would contact/ email terry burger directly to troubleshoot
Unfortunately, they do not provide support to owners of used kits. The forums are my only refuge!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I recommend reading up over at n54tech.com. The f30 does not support the iso (cut/removed diode) only the regular n55 and n54 does. I honestly don't know if the jb4 you purchased is compatible with the f30 or not. While a few vehicle have the n55, the f30 has different coding/dme.

Then again, I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
GhazaliGTE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Mathys View Post
I recommend reading up over at n54tech.com. The f30 does not support the iso (cut/removed diode) only the regular n55 and n54 does. I honestly don't know if the jb4 you purchased is compatible with the f30 or not. While a few vehicle have the n55, the f30 has different coding/dme.

Then again, I could be wrong.
Aha. That's something I thought about as well, but it has yet to be confirmed. One of the BMS reps hinted at it too by saying, "The seller should have informed you this is not completely compatible."

I may have to return it and just purchase a new one, altogether. I don't want to do that until all is decided, though. However, I'm sure that I've made all of the appropriate connections and everything is solid and it has yet to detect the JB4 on my laptop...and the car does not run stably with the unit installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Mak135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GTS, X3M

If you try to order on their website, you'll note there are 2 types of harnesses. For the F30, it is "type B". There is a pic of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhazaliGTE View Post
I recently purchased a JB4 Stage 2 w/USB for my F30 from an owner of an E92. I hooked everything up as it should (I think) but it isn't working properly. Has anyone done this before?

His posting was for N55 engines so I assume the diode is already cut but I haven't checked. I made the three relay connections, the brown and green CAN wires, and the power/ground. When I connect it to my port it doesn't detect a JB4. I heard that I may need to swap the CAN wires to other ones but I don't know if I trust that since the pic on the PDF instructions from BMS shows the same ones I connected.

Anyone able to help out here? BMS said they don't offer support for second hand users so I'm turning to the forums. To any Houston area guys who can help out, please PM me for my number! Thank you!
i wouldn't get a used tune especially from a different model...hope it works out but possibly it will be a cost to reprogram

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
GhazaliGTE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak135i View Post
If you try to order on their website, you'll note there are 2 types of harnesses. For the F30, it is "type B". There is a pic of it.
Yeah, it's definitely harness B. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheHbKa View Post
i wouldn't get a used tune especially from a different model...hope it works out but possibly it will be a cost to reprogram
The seller contacted them to ask if it would retrofit and they said it should just be a matter of uploading the new firmware and extending the CAN wires (which I have already extended).

But the question remains, why can't the JB4 be detected by the interface? The n54tech site had one thread by a user who had the same issue and he said that replacing the USB with a genuine BMS USB solved his issue. The seller reported to me that my USB is a brand new BMS USB cable so I don't know if that's the issue here.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

I would suggest you return it or resell it to someone with the correct model car (E9X) and buy a new F30 model version...easy enough...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
must be something with software compatibility, second user support is a must, supporting a product not a person.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
GhazaliGTE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
I would suggest you return it or resell it to someone with the correct model car (E9X) and buy a new F30 model version...easy enough...
Yeah, I'm thinking of that but probably as a last resort. It's already here and if I can get it to work fine I'll keep it. Otherwise, I'll resell and get the designated F30 one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheHbKa View Post
must be something with software compatibility, second user support is a must, supporting a product not a person.
I agree! I'm not asking for a refund from them, just technical support on their product! Blah.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

As you've probably already figured out, the units are incompatible. The F30 has a different box/connections for stage 2 (wont get into details about the last E9X with a N55)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
GhazaliGTE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
As you've probably already figured out, the units are incompatible. The F30 has a different box/connections for stage 2 (wont get into details about the last E9X with a N55)
Are they completely incompatible? I was under the impression that the snipped diode is the only difference. The folks at BMS said the units should be compatible if the new firmware is uploaded and the CAN wires extended. Any way to confirm this? Thanks for bringing this up!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are they completely incompatible? I was under the impression that the snipped diode is the only difference. The folks at BMS said the units should be compatible if the new firmware is uploaded and the CAN wires extended. Any way to confirm this? Thanks for bringing this up!
I thought the boards were different (I know you're correct about the diode and CAN wires) but I could be wrong.

They sell them under different engines and the F30 is different than the E90 with the N55 (at least a bit).

The Stage 1 board and Stage 2 boards are different for sure though (i have one of each since I did the upgrade instead of going straight to stage 2).

Not sure if this was of any help. Probably best to ask Terry...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
GhazaliGTE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I thought the boards were different (I know you're correct about the diode and CAN wires) but I could be wrong.

They sell them under different engines and the F30 is different than the E90 with the N55 (at least a bit).

The Stage 1 board and Stage 2 boards are different for sure though (i have one of each since I did the upgrade instead of going straight to stage 2).

Not sure if this was of any help. Probably best to ask Terry...
I see. Well, according to Terry, those two things are all that it requires. So maybe my problem is just the USB after all. But the seller reported that it's a new BMS USB. Looks brand new too. Even TASTES brand new..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
smolik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F30 335i

Only thing i can think of is that the person you bought it off had the n55 2011, the f30 is different. you prob have the right harness but need to get the f30 board?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
GhazaliGTE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolik View Post
Only thing i can think of is that the person you bought it off had the n55 2011, the f30 is different. you prob have the right harness but need to get the f30 board?
That's what tdizzle said. For shizzle.

Gotta check up further on that one; BMS said it would be fine as is but with new firmware and extended CAN wires.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
smolik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F30 335i

Quote:
That's what tdizzle said. For shizzle.

Gotta check up further on that one; BMS said it would be fine as is but with new firmware and extended CAN wires.
What are they charging you for the board? Cant wait til I get one. Miss my n54 on e85.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
GhazaliGTE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolik View Post
What are they charging you for the board? Cant wait til I get one. Miss my n54 on e85.
I haven't been quoted for anything. I meant that the JB4 is good to go as it is just by extending the CAN wires and uploading the F30 N55 firmware. However, I can't get the JB4 interface to recognize/detect the JB4! If it comes down to ordering a new board I'm just going to return it to the seller and get a new one from BMS.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #20
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't been quoted for anything. I meant that the JB4 is good to go as it is just by extending the CAN wires and uploading the F30 N55 firmware. However, I can't get the JB4 interface to recognize/detect the JB4! If it comes down to ordering a new board I'm just going to return it to the seller and get a new one from BMS.
Just a random thought and probably a dumb line of questioning...

But what are you doing exactly to attempt a connection between your PC and JB4?

I can't remember if it needs to be installed on your car or not to recognize it. I don't think I tried otherwise, but I would guess it needs to be installed (along with power and ground and the car 'on') in order for it to actually recognize it and then you can upload the correct update, etc.

Not sure if it will recognize without power to the board (but I didn't test it without to be sure). Worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
GhazaliGTE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just a random thought and probably a dumb line of questioning...

But what are you doing exactly to attempt a connection between your PC and JB4?

I can't remember if it needs to be installed on your car or not to recognize it. I don't think I tried otherwise, but I would guess it needs to be installed (along with power and ground and the car 'on') in order for it to actually recognize it and then you can upload the correct update, etc.

Not sure if it will recognize without power to the board (but I didn't test it without to be sure). Worth a shot.
Yeah, I tried both ways. I would think that it needs to be fully installed to pick up the mappings linked with the ECU etc...but I didn't try to have the car completely on while doing it, though. Could that be it??? It doesn't run for more than a minute with this thing on it, though! I had it so that the power was on (all the lights on the dash turned on) but the car not running.

By the way, I have the USB plugged into the JB4 and the other end connected to my laptop. I found the serial port (3 for me) and set that in the JB4 interface box. I followed the instructions from the PDF as best as I could.
Appreciate 0