E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > NYE Fireworks?

08-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
NYE Fireworks?

For the first time in many, many years Claire and I are not working New Year's Eve or New Year's Day and we'd really like to go and and see a big, impressive firework display.

She would like to do London but having read some previous comments and and reviews, it seems it's actually not that enjoyable. Likewise for Edinburgh.

We're not interested in getting drunk and staying out till daybreak, all we're looking for is a nice meal, fireworks display and a hotel. Is there anywhere that does anything even remotely similar or will we just have to suffer London's crowds and pickpockets?

Yes, I know only just August but I want to get things booked before everyone else has has the same idea in a few months' time!
      08-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Best NYE fireworks I've ever seen were this year....in Madeira. Not the best known of places to us Brits by all accounts but they're apparently world famous for being one of the best displays in the world so its quite expensive at that time of year (Funchal is a small place and fills up quickly). The bay shape and surrounding hills that make up Funchal ensure awesome views of all the various and well choreographed displays.

I had a slight advantage though....my mum's from Madeira so I have plenty of family there.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

London isn't that bad Paul. Certainly you don't need to live in constant fear of pickpockets or any of that. Just be vigilant with bags and pockets as you would in any town anywhere in the UK.

However.... I've lived here my whole life and never had any desire to go to watch the Fireworks.

Reason being, the crowds are a nightmare.

BUT.

One recommendation could be to simply watch it from one of the nearby higher ground point of interests, and one I'd recommend would be Hampstead Heath. You're about 4 miles out from the Action there but it'd still be quite impressive on a clear night.

Not sure if anyone in here can recommend any "closer ground" even still ..?

But if you want to get near to the Action on the bank to watch the fireworks, you need to plan to be there by 6pm, and you'll then stand exactly on the spot in a big crowd for 6 hours. I'm not sure I would recommend that. Then again I've never been a festival goer type of person and don't do long waits. Never have.

Andrew's suggestion above sounds good too.

Hmm
Dave
      08-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #4
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 325d M Sport

What about Alton Towers Paul? Not too far from you is it. I can't comment on the quality of the event though as I've never been, I would think it's pretty damn good though.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

What about a hotel/restaurant that has views along the Thames? Oxo tower springs to mind. No idea if it'll be open though.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
we'd really like to go and and see a big, impressive firework display
New York City.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Best NYE fireworks I've ever seen were this year....in Madeira.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sh@Crystalwhite View Post
New York City.
If only we've only got NYE and the 1st of Jan off work so abroad isn't really viable. Lovely idea though - maybe if we have more time off another year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRG325 View Post
What about Alton Towers Paul? Not too far from you is it. I can't comment on the quality of the event though as I've never been, I would think it's pretty damn good though.
Very close to me, indeed (and brilliant displays now the fuckwits who moved into the village and then complained to the council have moved away again). Not sure they do anything for New Year though, I'm sure their fireworks are the week around Bonfire Night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
What about a hotel/restaurant that has views along the Thames? Oxo tower springs to mind. No idea if it'll be open though.
Can you imagine the internet points I'd get for taking her up the OXO Tower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
One recommendation could be to simply watch it from one of the nearby higher ground point of interests, and one I'd recommend would be Hampstead Heath. You're about 4 miles out from the Action there but it'd still be quite impressive on a clear night.

Not sure if anyone in here can recommend any "closer ground" even still ..?

But if you want to get near to the Action on the bank to watch the fireworks, you need to plan to be there by 6pm, and you'll then stand exactly on the spot in a big crowd for 6 hours. I'm not sure I would recommend that. Then again I've never been a festival goer type of person and don't do long waits. Never have.
Thanks that's really the sort of thing I was hoping for - 6 hours penned in by a crowd doesn't sound my idea of a great night either. I've seen Primrose Hill mentioned too - how does that compare as a vantage point?
      08-19-2013, 04:01 AM   #8
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Primrose Hill would be better still, as it's quite a lot nearer albeit not quite as high. I think it'd work well.

Take a blanket and some wine / food.. I think it'd make for a pretty great way to watch them.

Infact I might try it myself this year, if I get around to it.

Dave