E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Effects of been back on the bike for the last 8 months.

08-04-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Talking Effects of been back on the bike for the last 8 months.

I know A few people have just bought new bikes for the summer, I was just interested in looking at how my own fitness has improved over the last few months.

I only just go back into cycling this year. Yesterday just managed to achieve one of my aims for the summer...hit 18 mph average over 50 miles, the last hill nearly killed me and I know for many thats not quick, a friend at work can manage 20mph avg over the same route, but compared to what I was able to do at the beginning of the year I'm amazed

...looking back at my first ride of the year on the 1st of Jan this year, I was barely able to achieve 12 mph over 30 miles and had to walk up the last 2 hills. Have also managed to loss 6 kg in 8 months despite eatting more than normal due to all calories am burning up . I cannot think of a better way for people to loss weight and improve their fitness without having to go on a diet!!

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #2
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

You're bang into it, started with £3 app and now got a Garmin Edge!! haha

We like our toys.

Well done for sticking it out.

I am using a single speed at the moment, quick 30 minutes at 18mph average on that an I an shagged.

I tried and tried to get into longer rides, but I just got bored, I really wish I could enjoy it more but for me it is just to keep a heart attack at bay and allow me to carry on with my real passion, red wine.

Well done!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Ryan87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325D M Sport

That's fairly impressive and well done for sticking it out.

I started riding again in January and can relate to how different you feel after a few months.

I started off by just cycling to work and back which is a mere 2 miles each way.

Several months down the line and im coming home, dropping the bag off and going out for 20 mile rides in the evening. Managed in the region of about 120 miles last week.

What bike you using if you don't mind me asking?

How do you find the longer distances as I haven't worked myself up to anything longer than 26 miles yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Have a 2nd hand Trek 3.1 Madone, with some upgraded wheels. Having previously ridden a £300 road bike and the difference is massive. Not only is it light but the whole way the bike handles and rides is just sublime. In a way having a nice bike has really motivated me to use it...after all its a bit pointless in having a £1K+ bike and not use it.

Main problem with longer distances I find is time, but if you aim to get your average speed up your be able to cover more distance. 50 miles is a big milestone, after that your be aiming for 100 Having mates on Strava also helps, once your get into it it's actually really addictive.

Have just planned a big ride for the bank holiday at the end of August, 70mile route including a climb that will be featured in next years Tour de France, Holme Moss, starts at 500 ft but than climbs to 1700ft all within 3 miles...not sure if I'm actually going to be able to get up it but bring it on

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Logos on the tyres not lined up with the valves. Tisk tisk

I'm the guy with the £1k+ bike that hangs on the wall and never gets used. At least that's how it's been for about a year now since baby 2 came along.

I used to ride every day on a short 15m route at lunch time and get at least 1 big ride in at the weekend. I need to get back on it when I find some time.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
bungleaio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pug 208

Good effort mate, your 1st ride was 33 miles though so you already had a pretty good starting point.

I really need to get back out on mine. Not been on it for a couple of years now.
Appreciate 0