F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Where are you guys mounting cameras?
ARMA SPEED

08-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

Where are you guys mounting cameras?

I've noticed exterior mounts create way too much wind noise and you can't tell hand movement/braking, etc.

Where are you all mounting interior cams without having roll ages, harness bars?
      08-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Underside of sunroof glass.
      08-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

GoPro?
      08-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
Suction cup GoPro mount. Will stick to anything flat up to 150mph.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Wtf is up with the new app? I cant post video/photo correctly with [u2b, etc]. Ill repost from computer.

I have a gopro mounted to a DIY headrest mount. You can google it. Its $5 total to make.

Heres a video.

I mount an external mic next to my license plate with the gopro suction cup mount.

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...D25F7CD4AF.jpg
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
Forgiven
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22, X5 45e

Good vid! That was fun watching
      08-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Definitely a good video! Love the POV. Thanks for the advice, will most likely do that. I've driven Buttonwillow for drifting events and its one of my favorite tracks. I definitely need to be on track with an instructor and get my lines down, I'm all over the place.

Just found this. It's relatively inexpensive and looks easy to remove/reinstall as needed. http://www.smercengineering.com/onli...era_mount.html

Last edited by JN1; 08-05-2013 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
I like outside behind the sunroof, angled down. Set the GoPro on spot mode for exposure, and make sure the center line hits the pavement and not the car to get the correct exposure.

I can see my hands and head (LOOK AHEAD!!!). I use my iPhone and TrackAddict HD with an ELM327 WIFI obd2 unit and a Dual GPS150A Bluetooth GPS sender to get good GPS data. I use the audio from the iPhone

I also like it for autocross b/c the angle lets you see how close you're coming to the cones on each side

I've also had success with the GoPro using the skeleton back with a Micover stickover wind-screen, furry grey thing that covers the holes in the skeleton back

This angle is also useful when comparing lap to lap video as the interesting part of the video is on 50% of the screen. It's easy to crop without scaling and stretching the video

This audio isn't representative, as it's just the GoPro audio with the full sealed case on

Last edited by utenigma; 08-15-2013 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I mount an external mic next to my license plate with the gopro suction cup mount.
What External mic is that?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma View Post
What External mic is that?
Here's me quoting myself on m3post. I went a little in detail since when I was researching, there wasn't many threads with detail about the whole setup.

Quote:
I've searched so many times for a setup that worked before going through a few different mic setups ($20 to $150 setups) so I will post a pretty detailed and cheap and effective way for a pretty decent setup.

As far as some action cams, here is a comparison on a few (im sure these same companies have newer versions now so maybe search for the newest available - but its a starting point):

http://gizmodo.com/5965732/the-best-action-camera

I decided on a gopro hero 3 silver and this is my specific setup:

DIY head restraint mount close to this one ($5 total). The only difference is I used a T-joint on the end of the pvc pipe and placed the adhesive mount on it. I will post a picture of my setup when I get the chance but this is what I followed.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...gopro2-100933/

This is the mic I use (Sony ECM70 - $50 from Frys and you will need the stupid usb mic adapter from gopro, why did they do this? another $20) and I made a windsock using the tail of a fox of a toy from petco ($3) and i put it next to the license plate through the center pass with an extension chord ($10):

Coupled with the windscreen and using the gopro suction cup (is it $30?) which I already had, and it looks like this:

The settings I use are either 1080/960p (depending on how much time i need of recording) with 11mp wide angle with spot setting ON (you need this so looking out the windshield the sunlight doesn't cause it to just look white - youtube spot setting and it will show the difference).

This is the result (and it makes the stock exhaust sound awesome imo ):

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here's me quoting myself on m3post. I went a little in detail since when I was researching, there wasn't many threads with detail about the whole setup.
Neat, I was thinking of an external mic setup - even thinking about putting it in the air-box to see what kind of induction note I could get in there. Does that Sony mic work plugged into an iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma View Post
Neat, I was thinking of an external mic setup - even thinking about putting it in the air-box to see what kind of induction note I could get in there. Does that Sony mic work plugged into an iPhone?
i would think it would work as a mic as long as the iphone software reads it as a mic.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

My setup is in this thread: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882296

I tip I got this weekend was to mount in the wheel well facing the suspension. I thought that was a neat idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

no sound in that video though lol
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep

Clearly you don't have your volume at 150% Yeah I was really bummed. I had the wrong gopro case. Just imagine a little tire squeal around the corners and wind on the straights. Oh, and trash talk about all the high end cars being poorly/not driven. What a waste.

Your sig pic says it all.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin951 View Post
Clearly you don't have your volume at 150% Yeah I was really bummed. I had the wrong gopro case. Just imagine a little tire squeal around the corners and wind on the straights. Oh, and trash talk about all the high end cars being poorly/not driven. What a waste.

Your sig pic says it all.
Yeah when I had the closed "underwater" case the sound was horrible - basically it was all wind.

The CTS-V, who was cleary a beginner and signed up for the red group (due to ego - I have a fast car), which is an instructor/advanced level, open passing group and causing massive traffic, which not only ruins the day for everyone else in that group, is just flat out stupid, and dangerous. Hence, my WTFFFFFFF, and don't be the CTV-S. This was not, "ok , he is driving pretty decent and I'll pass him", this is pretty much, "you are parked in the middle of the track, what were you thinking signing up for this group" type of stuff. And then the idiot in the CTS-V, being a beginner, does not let the other driver pass on the straight, he actually tries to drag race him down the straight! There are two videos in the thread below. No one should be the CTS-V guy, ever. It was such a funny video, and a good lesson to learn for beginners that i had to pause the video, take a screenshot, and edit as my sig.

(I did get permission from the guy driving in the video though!)

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...end+in+his+own

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The CTS-V, who was cleary a beginner and signed up for the red group (due to ego - I have a fast car), which is an instructor/advanced level, open passing group and causing massive traffic, which not only ruins the day for everyone else in that group, is just flat out stupid, and dangerous. Hence, my WTFFFFFFF, and don't be the CTV-S.
Yeah, I always worry about being "that guy" during the open session. Usually I pit when I catch myself driving with my mirrors. It's too bad there's not enough time in the day to split out run groups by not only driver level, but car hp/speed. This past weekend we had a blue group that had spec GT-R and GT3's mixed in with 944's and miatas. I was actually glad to be in green.

That CTS-V driver should have been black flagged much less not allowed in the group...though I see there were other circumstances that allowed him in. The funniest thing is he's clueless as to what he did and gave you permission to use it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #18
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin951
Quote:
The CTS-V, who was cleary a beginner and signed up for the red group (due to ego - I have a fast car), which is an instructor/advanced level, open passing group and causing massive traffic, which not only ruins the day for everyone else in that group, is just flat out stupid, and dangerous. Hence, my WTFFFFFFF, and don't be the CTV-S.
Yeah, I always worry about being "that guy" during the open session. Usually I pit when I catch myself driving with my mirrors. It's too bad there's not enough time in the day to split out run groups by not only driver level, but car hp/speed. This past weekend we had a blue group that had spec GT-R and GT3's mixed in with 944's and miatas. I was actually glad to be in green.

That CTS-V driver should have been black flagged much less not allowed in the group...though I see there were other circumstances that allowed him in. The funniest thing is he's clueless as to what he did and gave you permission to use it.
Oh no i got permission from the camera car. Gtr. The ctsv guy isnt on these forums lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
This was where I mounted mine when I had only 1 camera. Now that I have 2 cameras, I mount one outside on the top center of the front windshield, and the other one inside pointing at me. The camera on the outside is connected to an external mic that is located at the rear license plate area. When I get home after a track day, I use RaceRender to sync them all together. I think the external mic is the best way to capture good sound. Just take a look at my video below. This was with a STOCK S4 exhaust.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
This was where I mounted mine when I had only 1 camera. Now that I have 2 cameras, I mount one outside on the top center of the front windshield, and the other one inside pointing at me. The camera on the outside is connected to an external mic that is located at the rear license plate area. When I get home after a track day, I use RaceRender to sync them all together. I think the external mic is the best way to capture good sound. Just take a look at my video below. This was with a STOCK S4 exhaust.

Sup vwong. I had the black f30 with cca back when it was the infield only setup. I got the same mic you used after multiple setups and $$$ and it seems the best!

You coming on sep?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #21
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Thumbs up

Quote:
Wtf is up with the new app? I cant post video/photo correctly with [u2b, etc]. Ill repost from computer.

I have a gopro mounted to a DIY headrest mount. You can google it. Its $5 total to make.

Heres a video.

Great video, great sound!
Subbed on youtube
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #22
nfwb11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 435i M-Sport - SB

Reviving an old thread here but…. anyone figure out if/how to feed GoPro images into the iDrive display?
Appreciate 0