E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Active Autowerke Xede for 335i

10-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
boogie
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Active Autowerke Xede for 335i

Hi all, is anyone using this software? I'd like to know more about it. Is there a big difference compared to a normal 335? Any comments? Thx
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...archid=2606205

That should keep you busy reading for a while.
edit: I guess the link doesn't work - if you search using your thread title, you will get two pages of info...I would say search, but this was almost as easy.

Last edited by fedinand; 10-02-2007 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
Carlito12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i 6MT TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie View Post
Hi all, is anyone using this software? I'd like to know more about it. Is there a big difference compared to a normal 335? Any comments? Thx
yeah, a HUGE difference...

JB3 KW V2 i-Forged Senekas & ETC
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
PaPaGz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport MG

im so sick of the damn competitions/bashing all the vendors use on here. its freaking ridiculous. if you bash procede your damned, if you don't your damned and accused of liking an inferior product.... just go w/ what you are happy with and what you feel safe with.
I personally dont like the idea of the piggy back, which someone offered a flash
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

I will try to maintain an unbiased oppinion.

Here's what is pretty much, I'd say, what i perceive of the tuners.

The major picks are: Procede, Active Autowerke, and in very few cases, RD Sport.

RD Sport charges you the full price for a product that delivers a minor power boost. Yes, it is reliable, but not sure of anything on limp modes, errors, etc. Their support is not top notch, but sightly above average. I called them about a turbo upgrade kit and the guy was a little blunt and kind of rude, but he did explain fully the product he was offering. Don't ask about the upgrade...it only pushes about 440-460 (estimated) to the crank, and the chips around hee can do more than that with chip and exhaust.

Procede has the average going price, comparable to Active's product. They are in direct competition. Active makes their updates public, but is a little more "lo-pro" on their cutom tunes, and sometimes charge for the custom maps(customs are charged for, NOT updates). Procede makes all their maps free as they make them. However, I don't believe they made their downpipe map public. Not too sure how they are handling that one.

Overall, there has been no :sad0147: about Active's customer service/availability. They are the most friendly and readily available to answer all questions you may have. The only problem they have is that they do not frequent e90post religiously...but they do it I'd say more than twice a week.

Procede's customer service leaves a little . I'm not bashing them, I know they are busy busy people. They aren't easily available to get on the phone. You have to leave a phone number and name and a tech will call you back later. On e90, they are pretty active, posting what they can on the reliability of their product as well as what they have to offer information-wise. Sometimes Shiv is blamed for flaming people on the boards and deemed unprofessional. I would say he is only unprofessional to those who attack him first. They however, do not release much info on what they are working on until it is shipped(v2 mess going on now).

Active is a moderate tune. It is reliable, and not many people encounter limp modes unless they installed it wrong. Vishnu gives more error codes, but more people have it, you decide what to take from this, IMHO I would take both sides with a grain of salt. But procede does yield limp modes. The LBT map should have corrected it however, so nowadays few limps occur, but they are out there. Vishnu gives the most out of the engine, and they definitely are on the forefront of pushing the ECU to the max.

Active is a more conservative tune, only off by about 20 whp. Yes, it's a considerable difference, but the tech support actor might sway you their way.

So when thedust settles, it is your decision to make which side you will join. I, personally, am going to AA most likely because they are local and can custom dyno-tue everything for me.

Good luck with whatever you chose
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
PaPaGz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

that helps a lot man thanks. but i still hate the bashing on here. either shiv stirring it up or the AA guys stirring it up. each stating that their product is better, less inferior or w/e it is. just keeps me away from using the product at all...well see what happens. ive searched and read for hours and although less powerful TT seems like it just has the least drama
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaGz View Post
that helps a lot man thanks. but i still hate the bashing on here. either shiv stirring it up or the AA guys stirring it up. each stating that their product is better, less inferior or w/e it is. just keeps me away from using the product at all...well see what happens. ive searched and read for hours and although less powerful TT seems like it just has the least drama
First off, thanks for the positive thanks. Most people just cut a whole speech like that down in a fraction of a sentence proclaimig one product over the other.

Turbo Tuner is good because its alot cheaper than the other mods. There is no real programming or anything behind it, to be honest. Not bashing their product, I think its great someone brings a cheap and somewhat-thoughtout tune. It isn't really anything more than a resistor which restricts the sensation power of the MAF sensor(mass air flow sensor). This means the sensor is looking for a certain reading, then the TT tells it to look for a smaller reading instead. This technically tells the engine...hey! your in a hrricane! consume air and fuel! Not that drastic, but you get the analogy.

It's a great product, but IMHO I would work a few extra hours or so and save up for the AA or the pocede, they are adaptive and you can tune andadjust tem to your pleasre, whereas there is no improving the TT.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #8
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also, a little known fact. TT is easy to install...but you need small hands and a lotof patience. I heard the sensor is pushed way far back and hidden from view. That and you cant move it into view, so its like pissing in the dark...you just hope you don't get it on your pants
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
First off, thanks for the positive thanks. Most people just cut a whole speech like that down in a fraction of a sentence proclaimig one product over the other.

Turbo Tuner is good because its alot cheaper than the other mods. There is no real programming or anything behind it, to be honest. Not bashing their product, I think its great someone brings a cheap and somewhat-thoughtout tune. It isn't really anything more than a resistor which restricts the sensation power of the MAF sensor(mass air flow sensor). This means the sensor is looking for a certain reading, then the TT tells it to look for a smaller reading instead. This technically tells the engine...hey! your in a hrricane! consume air and fuel! Not that drastic, but you get the analogy.

It's a great product, but IMHO I would work a few extra hours or so and save up for the AA or the pocede, they are adaptive and you can tune andadjust tem to your pleasre, whereas there is no improving the TT.
some people prefer the ease of install, and un-install for that matter, of the TT
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
PaPaGz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

hmmm i didnt know about that regarding the TT...see some more research. I will not just buy into the hype of it all. This car is new, motor is new, and pushing the limits this early just doesnt do it for me. By the time i get the car and get used to the stock speed, hopefully more info will be released.

It reminds me of when the 350z VQ35 was out and the first F/I kits came out. Motors were being blown left and right, even though they seemed fine for a while and boom there went a motor.

I do understand what you mean about the TT just controlling one part of the computer compared to the others working all parameters. Its just a matter of safety and warranty for me.

I would love to get the procede or AA or w/e but as I'm sure you can tell they really annoy me haha. I guess only time and research will tell.

Also, my hands are oddly small haha just stubby fingers. I can get a nice girl to do it for me if it comes to that lol
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 06:53 AM   #11
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
I got it
      10-03-2007, 07:06 AM   #12
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
hmmm i didnt know about that regarding the TT...see some more research. I will not just buy into the hype of it all. This car is new, motor is new, and pushing the limits this early just doesnt do it for me. By the time i get the car and get used to the stock speed, hopefully more info will be released.

It reminds me of when the 350z VQ35 was out and the first F/I kits came out. Motors were being blown left and right, even though they seemed fine for a while and boom there went a motor.

I do understand what you mean about the TT just controlling one part of the computer compared to the others working all parameters. Its just a matter of safety and warranty for me.

I would love to get the procede or AA or w/e but as I'm sure you can tell they really annoy me haha. I guess only time and research will tell.

Also, my hands are oddly small haha just stubby fingers. I can get a nice girl to do it for me if it comes to that lol
theres a huge difference between adding FI to a car and tuning a car that already has FI a HUGE difference
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #13
PaPaGz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

trust me i know that but the analogy is similar. my current car is F/I so i know how it works. its a matter of pushing the limits and not going w/ 'the most power' right off the bat. no one really knows the actually torque limitations for the cars or the strength of the internals just yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #14
Carlito12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i 6MT TiAg

U should also look into JB2... looks like there are some satisfied customers out there... best bang for the money ?

there u go, Terry, a free plug for u...

JB3 KW V2 i-Forged Senekas & ETC
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito12 View Post
U should also look into JB2... looks like there are some satisfied customers out there... best bang for the money ?

there u go, Terry, a free plug for u...
Yea its best bang for the buck, agreed. But it depends on your financial situation if its really worth it to buy it, or save a little more cahs for a piggyback.

Don't hate Active or Vishnu...choosing sides when you just recently started reading and haven't gotten used to all the technicalities of everything, wouldn't do you justice in your decision.

Read up on things a little more and then go for whatever company you think is best. Sometimes when you think you have read it all, theres more to be discovered, like the TT install for example.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #16
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So far, to this date, I have not heard of anyone blowing a motor or anything close to it. One of the first tell-tale signs of a power-distribution problem is engine knock(caused by misfires) and blown headgaskets. The headgaskets will point to high oil temps, whereas the engine knock will point to something to do with your AFRs and timing that the tuner did for you. Don't fool with the misfires..don;t drive it much/hard if you get those...your engine will just dip out on you if you mess with that

With all the piggybacks out and TT out, I know you are worried about the safety and reliability of the car. The ECU does not log boost or anything like that, the piggy's are completey stealth. Same with the TT.

The only codes that are thrown are due to install errors or boost target not being reached. Any error code can be cleared by anyone with a code reader, aka. Midas, Advanced Auto Parts, Pep Boys, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #17
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
After trying both the Xede and Procede, I would say that this is a very good explanation of both software. Good job.

To the OP, do a search on dynos and you will see my dynos of both tuners (and many more).

Quote:

The major picks are: Procede, Active Autowerke, and in very few cases, RD Sport.

RD Sport charges you the full price for a product that delivers a minor power boost. Yes, it is reliable, but not sure of anything on limp modes, errors, etc. Their support is not top notch, but sightly above average. I called them about a turbo upgrade kit and the guy was a little blunt and kind of rude, but he did explain fully the product he was offering. Don't ask about the upgrade...it only pushes about 440-460 (estimated) to the crank, and the chips around hee can do more than that with chip and exhaust.

Procede has the average going price, comparable to Active's product. They are in direct competition. Active makes their updates public, but is a little more "lo-pro" on their cutom tunes, and sometimes charge for the custom maps(customs are charged for, NOT updates). Procede makes all their maps free as they make them. However, I don't believe they made their downpipe map public. Not too sure how they are handling that one.

Overall, there has been no :sad0147: about Active's customer service/availability. They are the most friendly and readily available to answer all questions you may have. The only problem they have is that they do not frequent e90post religiously...but they do it I'd say more than twice a week.

Procede's customer service leaves a little . I'm not bashing them, I know they are busy busy people. They aren't easily available to get on the phone. You have to leave a phone number and name and a tech will call you back later. On e90, they are pretty active, posting what they can on the reliability of their product as well as what they have to offer information-wise. Sometimes Shiv is blamed for flaming people on the boards and deemed unprofessional. I would say he is only unprofessional to those who attack him first. They however, do not release much info on what they are working on until it is shipped(v2 mess going on now).

Active is a moderate tune. It is reliable, and not many people encounter limp modes unless they installed it wrong. Vishnu gives more error codes, but more people have it, you decide what to take from this, IMHO I would take both sides with a grain of salt. But procede does yield limp modes. The LBT map should have corrected it however, so nowadays few limps occur, but they are out there. Vishnu gives the most out of the engine, and they definitely are on the forefront of pushing the ECU to the max.

Active is a more conservative tune, only off by about 20 whp. Yes, it's a considerable difference, but the tech support actor might sway you their way.

So when thedust settles, it is your decision to make which side you will join. I, personally, am going to AA most likely because they are local and can custom dyno-tue everything for me.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #18
PaPaGz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So far, to this date, I have not heard of anyone blowing a motor or anything close to it. One of the first tell-tale signs of a power-distribution problem is engine knock(caused by misfires) and blown headgaskets. The headgaskets will point to high oil temps, whereas the engine knock will point to something to do with your AFRs and timing that the tuner did for you. Don't fool with the misfires..don;t drive it much/hard if you get those...your engine will just dip out on you if you mess with that
oh i know there are no blown engines to date and so on...just a concern i guess and my annoyance with the vendors haha
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #19
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
After trying both the Xede and Procede, I would say that this is a very good explanation of both software. Good job.

To the OP, do a search on dynos and you will see my dynos of both tuners (and many more).
Awesome, I get complimented by the infamous Mr. 5

I've been reviewing everything on this board since I joined. I read about 2 hours a night on this board...A little obsessive, but I want to be on top of my game on my car and its potential and everything out for it. Only problem is I don't know EVERYTHING
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #20
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Any other inquiries about any setups? I can answer most general questions
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #21
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:

Given the track record of Active's involvement in tuning Turbocharged BMWs since the era of E36 M3s, I give Xede my vote of confidence. I have it installed for about 3 weeks now and the car is running strong.

However, I find their customer support a little unresponsive. I asked Omar for a recommended installer in the Boston area because two shops refused to install the Xede. He never called or emailed me back.
      10-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #22
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Given the track record of Active's involvement in tuning Turbocharged BMWs since the era of E36 M3s, I give Xede my vote of confidence. I have it installed for about 3 weeks now and the car is running strong.

However, I find their customer support a little unresponsive. I asked Omar for a recommended installer in the Boston area because two shops refused to install the Xede. He never called or emailed me back.
Hate to hear that. When I PM'ed them, I didnt get a response for about 2 days or 3 days, like I said...they don't frequent e90post religiously.

I never had to call them back...first call I made I got a tech and could ask questions. First time I called vishnu I had to leave a callback number and was called back about 3 - 4 hours later.
Appreciate 0