F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Newb question - sorry
Extreme Powerhouse

08-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
Poohbore
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F31 xDrive

Music newb question

In preparation for my car coming in 4 weeks I've bought a 32gb memory stick rather than leaving my iPod in the car.

So, I have my music in iTunes on the pc but how do I get it onto the memory stick so that the genres artwork etc etc work.

Can someone post up a step by step instruction please to help an old bloke out !
      08-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

Are these songs you purchased through the iTunes store or did you acquire them other ways (burning through CD's, other stores - Amazon, etc.)?

If you have the songs in MP3 format, you can just drag and drop files/folders onto your flash drive.
      08-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Poohbore
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F31 xDrive

It's a mixture of both dc's and iTunes purchases.

I have them in mp3 format also because SWMBO has a galaxy tablet and phone and we have synced them to that
      08-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3/15 DA-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbore View Post
It's a mixture of both dc's and iTunes purchases.

I have them in mp3 format also because SWMBO has a galaxy tablet and phone and we have synced them to that
iDrive can also playback mpeg4 AAC (LC only), represented as .m4a files in iTunes. Unfortunately, iTunes also stores Apple Lossless in an mpeg4 container using the same .m4a extension. iDrive cannot play those and it cannot play anything with DRM on it, obviously.

You can drag and drop itunes files too, you just need to navigate to where the files are actually stored on disk (ctrl-click, "Show in Finder" from inside iTunes on a Mac).

mpeg4 AAC offers superior fidelity and/or lower bitrates compared to mpeg layer 3 (mp3).
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
iDrive can also playback mpeg4 AAC (LC only), represented as .m4a files in iTunes. Unfortunately, iTunes also stores Apple Lossless in an mpeg4 container using the same .m4a extension. iDrive cannot play those and it cannot play anything with DRM on it, obviously.

You can drag and drop itunes files too, you just need to navigate to where the files are actually stored on disk (ctrl-click, "Show in Finder" from inside iTunes on a Mac).

mpeg4 AAC offers superior fidelity and/or lower bitrates compared to mpeg layer 3 (mp3).
Can you just drag the files straight from iTunes and drop them into the thumb drive, and they will work with artwork?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
Can you just drag the files straight from iTunes and drop them into the thumb drive, and they will work with artwork?
Yes, you can actually do that. Sadly, it probably won't work with album artwork (either method). iTunes only embeds artwork into music files if you open up the properties for a song (cmd-I) and paste into the artwork window. Otherwise it maintains artwork in a separate folder which, obviously, wouldn't get copied with the file to the flash drive. You could do it manually, but it would get really tedious really fast.

However, you can use something like http://dougscripts.com/itunes/script...reembedartwork (free) to auto-embed artwork. For technical reasons it can only process one album at a time but once an album is processed the artwork will be embedded forever; you can then copy the mp3/m4as directly to a flash drive (or drag-n-drop from iTunes) and iDrive should see the the art (as long as it's not too large).

iTunes itself will always default to using the embedded artwork when it's available.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Yes, you can actually do that. Sadly, it probably won't work with album artwork (either method). iTunes only embeds artwork into music files if you open up the properties for a song (cmd-I) and paste into the artwork window. Otherwise it maintains artwork in a separate folder which, obviously, wouldn't get copied with the file to the flash drive. You could do it manually, but it would get really tedious really fast.

However, you can use something like http://dougscripts.com/itunes/script...reembedartwork (free) to auto-embed artwork. For technical reasons it can only process one album at a time but once an album is processed the artwork will be embedded forever; you can then copy the mp3/m4as directly to a flash drive (or drag-n-drop from iTunes) and iDrive should see the the art (as long as it's not too large).

iTunes itself will always default to using the embedded artwork when it's available.
Well the first part sucks, but I'm familiary with dougscripts - so that seems to make it easy! Just wish I could batch process my entire library at once Maybe I can use OS X's automator for this function?

Please advise
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
Well the first part sucks, but I'm familiary with dougscripts - so that seems to make it easy! Just wish I could batch process my entire library at once Maybe I can use OS X's automator for this function?

Please advise
I see no reason why you couldn't use Automator.

However, I just tested it out and I was able to successfully run it on multiple albums at once. The site says something about graphics limitations causing a limit of "about an album's worth of songs" but doesn't specify what exactly happens if you exceed said limit.

YMMV, probably significantly so.
Appreciate 0