E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BG products put to the test

07-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

BG products put to the test

Hey everyone, I will be starting a review on multiple BG products. Most of you might not know the company because they are not sold off the shelf but sold exclusively to high performance shops.

Test vehicle:
2009 335i sedan
-70,500 miles
-procede
-DP's
-DCI

Previous service:
-Valve cleaning at 50,000 miles
-Recent oil change at 70,100 miles
-no transmission fluid changed
-no differential fluid changed

My car has began intermittently shifting hard or jumping a few rpms when shifting so I'm ready to change pan and fluid. My car has also began a stumbling idle which was fixed after my valve cleaning.

Now, my reason for testing; they are very underrated products and nobody can seem to gather information

My procedure for this will be adding the engine cleaner to oil, letting it run for about 10-15 at IDLE, changing oil and replacing filter (German Castrol 0w-40 and MANN filter). My oil was changed approximately a week ago so how dirty can it be? I will inspect the oil filter and document/photograph color of oil. I will then add the cleaner, idle and drain and from what the shops say, this product should clean out all deposits and sludge in an engine. I will then refill with GC and add their engine restore product to the oil which claims to improve and keep the crankcase clean and restore compression. I will document this as well. I will then go ahead and do a valve cleaning and inspection. My main purpose is because a cleaner crankcase and proper sealing should help blow by dramatically so in another 20k miles, or less, my valves should be clean right? Only one way to find out because if this works, I am a customer for life and a remedy might be provided for these dirty heads.

Transmission:
I will be given a transmission cleaner and then a multiple drain and fill. Possibly 12qts total. I will be using BG's ATF which is used by many high performance shops in the area including a 1000hp amg so that, to me, is a sign. I will then add their conditioner to extend the life of the transmission and document everything.

A/C evaporator: Musty smell is back and I will put their BG Frigi-Fresh to the test. This is a beefed up version of Kilma kleaner for that musty smell out evaporators cause. It eliminates bacteria at the source

I am in no way sponsoring not being payed for a review. I am trying to find remedies to help prolong the life of my money pit ^_^

Would you guys be interested in this review?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Not to be a downer, but the only way you're going to keep the intake valves clean is to block off those ports and find a different vacuum source to keep the crankcase from becoming pressurized. I'm sure this product could potentially help with other things though.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

I understand that but I am not looking for a permanent fix but yet a remedy to help keep them cleaner, longer. I believe that cleaner oil and crankcase will help with gunking up valves due to less deposits it drags along.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericruiz911 View Post
I understand that but I am not looking for a permanent fix but yet a remedy to help keep them cleaner, longer. I believe that cleaner oil and crankcase will help with gunking up valves due to less deposits it drags along.
Without doing a proper analysis of the deposits on the valves and around them it's a total guess as to whether or not they're anything more than hot oil condensing in a cooler intake tract, being deposited on the back side of the valve and then being cooked on through transient combustion heat. If you really want to do a thorough analysis, you have to start at the beginning, and that is determining WHAT exactly it is that you're trying to eliminate. Hope this is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but if you're serious about this do a Blackstone oil analysis. Color of the oil doesn't really tell you much.

FWIW, BG is pretty good stuff, but --as pointed out above -- no additive is going to help with the intake valves.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

I also have 09 335i with almost 80k miles all stock with Procede 2.5 added recently. I already changed trans fluid and filter (you cannot change 100% only about 5 quarts), added Burger OCC, and had walnut blast done. Also, changed spark plugs, 1 coil and switched to RLI oil. I had RPM stumble at idle before walnut blast and I do have it still although rarely (it was rare even before the blast). Trans seems to be a little jerky then shifting into 3rd, and there is no change after changing the fluid, but it seems quite more touchy after adding Procede (maybe extra power making it jumpy?). Maybe I'll try Alpina flash to see how it will go. If I was you I would not waste money on additives as most likely you will not notice any difference, plus you do not know how it will affect your trans and you will have to spend a ton getting most of the fluid out thru multiple fluid changes.

At the moment the stumble is what worries me, and I hope that it will not be fuel injectors, but that is the only thing I can think off besides HPFP failing.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN
Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but if you're serious about this do a Blackstone oil analysis. Color of the oil doesn't really tell you much.

FWIW, BG is pretty good stuff, but --as pointed out above -- no additive is going to help with the intake valves.

Neil
Forgot to include that...yes oil analysis will be taken
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus
I also have 09 335i with almost 80k miles all stock with Procede 2.5 added recently. I already changed trans fluid and filter (you cannot change 100% only about 5 quarts), added Burger OCC, and had walnut blast done. Also, changed spark plugs, 1 coil and switched to RLI oil. I had RPM stumble at idle before walnut blast and I do have it still although rarely (it was rare even before the blast). Trans seems to be a little jerky then shifting into 3rd, and there is no change after changing the fluid, but it seems quite more touchy after adding Procede (maybe extra power making it jumpy?). Maybe I'll try Alpina flash to see how it will go. If I was you I would not waste money on additives as most likely you will not notice any difference, plus you do not know how it will affect your trans and you will have to spend a ton getting most of the fluid out thru multiple fluid changes.

At the moment the stumble is what worries me, and I hope that it will not be fuel injectors, but that is the only thing I can think off besides HPFP failing.
Just found a shop that has a Bg flush machine that will provide a full system flush.

These are all sample products so nothing invested but some good ole hard work

Now I am wondering if Blackstone can do analysis of the carbon deposits on the valves if a piece is a sent and maybe another analysis in 15k-20k miles
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericruiz911 View Post
Just found a shop that has a Bg flush machine that will provide a full system flush.

These are all sample products so nothing invested but some good ole hard work

Now I am wondering if Blackstone can do analysis of the carbon deposits on the valves if a piece is a sent and maybe another analysis in 15k-20k miles
By full system flush do you mean fuel system (injector cleaning) or trans fluid?

Oil analysis will help although not sure if they will show carbon deposits on the valves.

Either way, let us know how it worked out.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

I've used BG products on a lot of things. Especially engine builds. They cater to heavy and unique industrial equipment. They also just bought a $70,000,000 jet.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Definitely interested in a review. Though the only thing I wouldn't do is their oil additive. Synthetic oil is specially formulated by the manufacturer and adding in an additive will only upset this balance. As others stated I would run an oil analysis first, then try switching to another oil brand and see if it makes a difference. Maybe Motul or something.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Spoke to Travis at Blackstone and they are willing to take a carbon sample to see how contaminated the carbon is which should be interesting since nobody has done it. They are willing to take on the challenge and that is good news. What do I expect to learn from it? Nothing but to see how harmful that carbon is to our engines in terms of contamination and wear. I will do a before and after so hopefully it becomes interesting news. BG claims their products can stop our carbon build up so why not put it to the test?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti
Definitely interested in a review. Though the only thing I wouldn't do is their oil additive. Synthetic oil is specially formulated by the manufacturer and adding in an additive will only upset this balance. As others stated I would run an oil analysis first, then try switching to another oil brand and see if it makes a difference. Maybe Motul or something.
Well BG's oil additive has incredible reviews on Bobistheoilguy and it is made for the high performance market. I can talk about it but I, myself, want to see it in action because it is meant to keep the oil from breaking down under high heat and extended wear to a point wear it will maintain excellent viscosity.

Here is Bg products website:
"BG MOA® prevents oxidation and thickening of engine oil under even the most severe stop-and-go, high temperature driving conditions. It fortifies all qualities of engine oil to provide superior long-lasting engine protection and helps maintain optimum engine performance. BG MOA® keeps piston ring belts, hydraulic lifters and other engine components clean to help extend engine life and reduce costs of operation. It is compatible with both synthetic and petroleum-base oils. The Thin Film Oxidation Uptake Test (TFOUT), ASTM Test Method D4742, proves BG MOA’s remarkable resistance to oxidation by more than 200% longer than six major brands of SL quality oil. At the conclusion of the API Sequence IIIF Engine Test‚ a major brand, high-quality reference oil barely passed the 80-hour test with a viscosity increase of 255 percent. At 80 hours, another brand of oil fortified with BG MOA® had a viscosity increase of only 57 percent. At the conclusion of the triple-length, 240-hour test, it was still well within the viscosity limits with an increase of only 198 percent."
Appreciate 0