F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Questions from a newbie plz help =)
GetBMWParts

07-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
zzhohozz
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i sport

Questions from a newbie plz help =)

hi guys,

im glad tht i finally own a brand new car n i love my f30 328i sport so much ( i drove the second hand lexus is200 before )

im going to do some tuning on it, can u guys give me some idea n help me out a bit? thank you

guess i will just do few modifly

1 intake: i guess i will just go for afe?

2: tune: the n20 bms stage 1 ? ( i just afraid will void the warranty )

3: exhaust: i want a quad one,,,which one will be better for performance? the Supersprint or Eisenmann ?

thx so much for helping me out,,cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
slmdgee
Usofstance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328I 6SPD

Honestly get a tune and wait till more exhaust come out.

IG Stu_UnitedStatesOfStance
United States Of Stance
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
gtman
Iron man
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport/2013 C63AMG

get the bms stage 1 with an afe intake
      07-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
gtman
Iron man
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport/2013 C63AMG

also those exhausts will set you back almost $3000 i honestly don't know if their worth it for such little power gain
      07-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Yea, those are expensive exhuasts. Also, the intake does nothing for power either. For now, tune is your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
1. Forget it, not needed.

2. Yes you will void powertrain warranty if you tune. BMS if you have to, otherwise wait for the PPK which will give another 20kW.

3. Eisenmann have a good rep. Quad's are overkill and a bit poseur IMO for this car. Check out the M Performance exhaust if you haven't already, it's very good twin-tip.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
zzhohozz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post

2. Yes you will void powertrain warranty if you tune. BMS if you have to, otherwise wait for the PPK which will give another 20kW.

3. Eisenmann have a good rep. Quad's are overkill and a bit poseur IMO for this car. Check out the M Performance exhaust if you haven't already, it's very good twin-tip.

thx so much

and wht is the PPK? also isnt the m performance exhaust only give u good sound but nth on performance?

also thx all of u for the tips
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzhohozz View Post
thx so much

and wht is the PPK? also isnt the m performance exhaust only give u good sound but nth on performance?

also thx all of u for the tips

PPK = Performance Power Kit. Software tune from BMW with maybe a few hardware bits.

Most axle-back systems will do very little by of power increases, you need to be very keen and consider a full system if that's your aim from changing an exhaust system.

Given you raised warranty concerns as well, you might want to think twice about going down that path.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
FREDI
Registered
Romania
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
The M Performance power kit released for the new BMW 428i : +27hp and +40Nm.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
zzhohozz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B11RGA View Post
The M Performance power kit released for the new BMW 428i : +27hp and +40Nm.
but for the one on f30 3 series wont gain any power?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
FREDI
Registered
Romania
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Is the same engine,so we wait for !
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 04:10 AM   #12
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu

Why would you void your warranty if you tune your engine? I mean I needed some work done. I pulled out the jb4 off (took 5 mins) my 328i and took it to the dealers. No tuner codes came up at all. Unless you leave your piggy back/tune connected to the motor they won't see anything or know of anything. It's not as big as a risk as people think. Just gotta be smart! :-)

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #13
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben View Post
Why would you void your warranty if you tune your engine? I mean I needed some work done. I pulled out the jb4 off (took 5 mins) my 328i and took it to the dealers. No tuner codes came up at all. Unless you leave your piggy back/tune connected to the motor they won't see anything or know of anything. It's not as big as a risk as people think. Just gotta be smart! :-)
Sounds like a case of you want to have your cake and eat it too.

/takes out soapbox.

If I sold a widget to someone, they changed it from how I sold it and then subsequently it breaks, I can't for one moment understand why I should fix it.

I'm also not interested in the whole "it's ok if they don't know about it" aspect either. I find it conflicts with my moral code.

Tuning's great. I really enjoy it. You've got to pay to play though, not expect someone else to wear the cost when you take matters outside the OEM parameters.

/puts soapbox away.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
1GrayBulldog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Take it from a fellow newbie tuner who, just like you, claims a F30 328i as his first new car. By order of priority based on cost vs. performance gain, ease of install, etc., I recommend the following:

1) Tune: BMS JB4/Stage 2 (Beta) - Looks like you're in Hong Kong so I'm guessing you don't have access to E85? If you're just running pump gas, the BMW JB4/Stage2 is damn near bullet-proof based on my experience so far. If you have 93 octane or greater, you can run Map2 without issue, which turns the N20 engine into an entirely different animal. Definitely get the USB cable + extension cord so that you can access the JB4 interface for custom settings, install firmware updates, log, etc. The tech support from Terry and the gang is awesome. Just email them your logs and they will help if anything needs to be addressed.

2) Exhaust: I went with the Magnaflow full catback system and couldn't be happier with the results in terms of both sound and performance. No numbers to back this up, but I could definitely feel a noticeable increase in low through medium rpm torque after installing the Magnaflow, and the sound is absolutely the best I could ask for in a 2.0L I4. Best part is that the Magnaflow is available for less than $1k, and the materials/fitment are top-notch. I've traded PM's with other forum members who have had the same experience as I have with the Magnaflow. Can't recommend it more highly.

3) Intake: I have the aFe Stage 2 with the intake scoop, and I recommend it. I don't think you'll find any topic that's debated more than the benefits (or lack thereof) of installing an intake, and unfortunately I don't have any numbers to prove or disprove any of the theories out there. Intake gains are inherently difficult to measure on a dyno, so for that reason alone I think it will remain an open debate. However, I did as much forum research as I could on aFe's intakes on other BMW platforms, and found several testimonials from people who measure mod gains via testing back-to-back at the track, and each account pointed to at least some measure gain in performance from installing an aFe intake. I sensed an increase in mid-to-high rpm horsepower delivery with the aFe installed, especially in conjunction with higher boost levels from the BMS tune. Beyond performance, the sound of the turbo with the intake installed is simply awesome.

Just wanted to pass along my thoughts since I was in a similar place as you. Congrats on the new ride and happy modding!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
zzhohozz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper328i View Post
Take it from a fellow newbie tuner who, just like you, claims a F30 328i as his first new car. By order of priority based on cost vs. performance gain, ease of install, etc., I recommend the following:

1) Tune: BMS JB4/Stage 2 (Beta) - Looks like you're in Hong Kong so I'm guessing you don't have access to E85? If you're just running pump gas, the BMW JB4/Stage2 is damn near bullet-proof based on my experience so far. If you have 93 octane or greater, you can run Map2 without issue, which turns the N20 engine into an entirely different animal. Definitely get the USB cable + extension cord so that you can access the JB4 interface for custom settings, install firmware updates, log, etc. The tech support from Terry and the gang is awesome. Just email them your logs and they will help if anything needs to be addressed.

2) Exhaust: I went with the Magnaflow full catback system and couldn't be happier with the results in terms of both sound and performance. No numbers to back this up, but I could definitely feel a noticeable increase in low through medium rpm torque after installing the Magnaflow, and the sound is absolutely the best I could ask for in a 2.0L I4. Best part is that the Magnaflow is available for less than $1k, and the materials/fitment are top-notch. I've traded PM's with other forum members who have had the same experience as I have with the Magnaflow. Can't recommend it more highly.

3) Intake: I have the aFe Stage 2 with the intake scoop, and I recommend it. I don't think you'll find any topic that's debated more than the benefits (or lack thereof) of installing an intake, and unfortunately I don't have any numbers to prove or disprove any of the theories out there. Intake gains are inherently difficult to measure on a dyno, so for that reason alone I think it will remain an open debate. However, I did as much forum research as I could on aFe's intakes on other BMW platforms, and found several testimonials from people who measure mod gains via testing back-to-back at the track, and each account pointed to at least some measure gain in performance from installing an aFe intake. I sensed an increase in mid-to-high rpm horsepower delivery with the aFe installed, especially in conjunction with higher boost levels from the BMS tune. Beyond performance, the sound of the turbo with the intake installed is simply awesome.

Just wanted to pass along my thoughts since I was in a similar place as you. Congrats on the new ride and happy modding!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience, and yes im from hong kong
i guess i will go for body kit n intake n exhaust first,,for the exhaust they ( the car tuning shop ) only import supersprint n Eisenmann so i guess i hv to pick one of those 2
anyway,, thank you so much for your info =)
Appreciate 0