E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Faults in modules as a result of coding?

07-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M4, '23 CX-50

Faults in modules as a result of coding?

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to coding but have successfully coded many functions in my 2007 328xi without any errors. Car also has a fresh battery that is only about 2 weeks old (I replaced due to age and also due to multiple errors stored in various modules). However, while diagnosing a faulty radiator fan today (bearing is failing) I decided to randomly plug in my BT tool and scan all modules again (I typically do this once a month to monitor the car's health). I pulled many of the same codes again and nearly **** myself. Here is the list:

DSC related
5EBA - this is related to the steering angle sensor and a common issue. I'm going to clean the optical disk next weekend
D35A - DSC: No message (CAS 304)

CAS
A0B4 - Fault engine start starter (car has always fired up without issue. One or two times it didn't crank the first time, but I attributed it to me hitting the start button before I had depressed the clutch completely...so chalked it up to being in too much of a rush and my lack of coordination).

Instrument Cluster
A3A9
A3B2
A3BD (all CAN ID related errors)
931B - Outside temperature sensor (not worried about this, going to check resistance of the sensor later this evening and check wiring)
931A - Signal tank raw data filling level right (I've gotten this error intermittently for ages, so not worried. Someday I will inspect the sending unit and harness in the fuel tank)

MOST/CAN gateway
A169 - IPC operation error
E184 - CAN high/low-line error
E194 - No CLAMP_STATUS via CAN received

Telematic control module
D690 - Ring breakage diagnostics was performed (Error_Ring_Diagnose)

So...overall...my question is if simple coding could cause a series of all of these errors, or if it is simply a coincidence that the first time I have pulled the majority of them was after the car had been coded. The car runs and drives 100%, all coded functions work as they should, and no error lights are in the dash. My primary concern are the CAN related codes. Have any of you guys ever experienced something like this?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax16 View Post
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to coding but have successfully coded many functions in my 2007 328xi without any errors. Car also has a fresh battery that is only about 2 weeks old (I replaced due to age and also due to multiple errors stored in various modules). However, while diagnosing a faulty radiator fan today (bearing is failing) I decided to randomly plug in my BT tool and scan all modules again (I typically do this once a month to monitor the car's health). I pulled many of the same codes again and nearly **** myself. Here is the list:

DSC related
5EBA - this is related to the steering angle sensor and a common issue. I'm going to clean the optical disk next weekend
D35A - DSC: No message (CAS 304)

CAS
A0B4 - Fault engine start starter (car has always fired up without issue. One or two times it didn't crank the first time, but I attributed it to me hitting the start button before I had depressed the clutch completely...so chalked it up to being in too much of a rush and my lack of coordination).

Instrument Cluster
A3A9
A3B2
A3BD (all CAN ID related errors)
931B - Outside temperature sensor (not worried about this, going to check resistance of the sensor later this evening and check wiring)
931A - Signal tank raw data filling level right (I've gotten this error intermittently for ages, so not worried. Someday I will inspect the sending unit and harness in the fuel tank)

MOST/CAN gateway
A169 - IPC operation error
E184 - CAN high/low-line error
E194 - No CLAMP_STATUS via CAN received

Telematic control module
D690 - Ring breakage diagnostics was performed (Error_Ring_Diagnose)

So...overall...my question is if simple coding could cause a series of all of these errors, or if it is simply a coincidence that the first time I have pulled the majority of them was after the car had been coded. The car runs and drives 100%, all coded functions work as they should, and no error lights are in the dash. My primary concern are the CAN related codes. Have any of you guys ever experienced something like this?
Did you clear any faults after replacing the battery? Usually when the battery is disconnected it can cause all sorts of weirdness when the car fires up for the first time.

When I replace a battery, first thing I do is to register it, second thing is to scan and clear all faults in the modules after starting and running the car for a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
pweber
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: M57 330D

Don't worry about this if all is working fine, maybe these are an old errorr or maybe these errors appeared because you were coding with engine on?
Clear all the codes and after few days check them again, if some will show up it means that something is wrong and you can try to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Did you clear any faults after replacing the battery? Usually when the battery is disconnected it can cause all sorts of weirdness when the car fires up for the first time.

When I replace a battery, first thing I do is to register it, second thing is to scan and clear all faults in the modules after starting and running the car for a little bit.
I do not remember if I cleared any faults after replacing the battery. I did register it but can't remember if I decided to scan the car as well after doing so (my instincts tell me I would have since I had the tool already hooked up, yet I may not have if I made the assumption all codes were cleared as a result of the battery being disconnected anyway). Wish I had better memory, but now I know to keep an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
Don't worry about this if all is working fine, maybe these are an old errorr or maybe these errors appeared because you were coding with engine on?
Clear all the codes and after few days check them again, if some will show up it means that something is wrong and you can try to fix it.
Thanks for the input ******, but they aren't old codes. Most (if not all of these codes) were also present a few weeks ago (after coding, but prior to installing the new battery). However, now that I think of it, the battery did die once during an extensive coding session (one of the reasons I replaced it), and I believe these codes were first found after that had happened, so I'm sure many were thrown as a result of the low battery voltage. This mirrors what Dracon mentioned earlier, because if I indeed did not check for codes after battery replacement and simply registered, then perhaps many of those same codes were triggered as a result of disconnecting the battery. So far this seems like the most likely culprit, so I'm going to drive around a bit more until the readiness monitors complete their cycles then recheck again. I just wanted to confirm with the coding experts that this issue wouldn't be triggered as a result of coding if I perhaps had some bad daten files or something. I've done a lot of work on this car and have always taken great pride in the fact I could scan it and have all modules free of codes, knowing that these cars are notorious for throwing erroneous codes when all systems in the car function as they should. I'll report back after I rescan in a few days, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep

Rescanned tonight...codes haven't returned (likely too soon) but now I have a new one for the junction box...C90B, Communication PT_Scan. Considering this one was junction box related, I am going to pull the glove box out so I can access the back of the fuse box and inspect BMW's work in performing the battery cable recall. I am wondering if there is a chance that not everything got plugged back in securely or if insulation on a wire or two got pinched/stripped. Throwing codes left and right like this is completely unacceptable and never happened prior to having the recall performed and/or coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
e92Driven
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 335i Coupe (MT)

Garage List
Hey just wondering if you ever resolved your issues with these random module faults? I have several similar faults and I believe they are related to Battery needing replacement or Battery Cable Recall.

Haven't performed either yet, but did put battery on slow overnight charge and Date/Time hasn't reset for a few weeks now, but I continue to get these codes even after clearing them using BT Tool:
A559 - Clamp 30g_f cutoff
A6CF - Sensor AUC
E18C - Device didn't accept or confirm monitoring message
E18F - Central registry does not match w/debit configuration
D690 - Ring breakage diagnostic was performed

Everything seems to be working properly. I did reseat a JB3 connection while the ECU was "awake" which I suppose could also be the culprit, but you'd think clearing the codes once would be sufficient. About to install JB4 and would like all modules to be free of issues first.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92Driven View Post
Hey just wondering if you ever resolved your issues with these random module faults? I have several similar faults and I believe they are related to Battery needing replacement or Battery Cable Recall.

Haven't performed either yet, but did put battery on slow overnight charge and Date/Time hasn't reset for a few weeks now, but I continue to get these codes even after clearing them using BT Tool:
A559 - Clamp 30g_f cutoff
A6CF - Sensor AUC
E18C - Device didn't accept or confirm monitoring message
E18F - Central registry does not match w/debit configuration
D690 - Ring breakage diagnostic was performed

Everything seems to be working properly. I did reseat a JB3 connection while the ECU was "awake" which I suppose could also be the culprit, but you'd think clearing the codes once would be sufficient. About to install JB4 and would like all modules to be free of issues first.
I pulled out the glovebox to check bmw's work and it was a mess in there. Connectors not seated tightly, bolts left loose (or left out completely), etc... I have had absolutely zero fault codes ever since fixing their hack job.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
e92Driven
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 335i Coupe (MT)

Garage List
Wow, that's pretty sad. Good to know you were able to fix the issue without sinking a bunch of $$ in to it though.

Thanks for the info. I will try to find a reputable dealer to handle my Battery Cable Recall but will def be checking their work afterward.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92Driven View Post
Wow, that's pretty sad. Good to know you were able to fix the issue without sinking a bunch of $$ in to it though.

Thanks for the info. I will try to find a reputable dealer to handle my Battery Cable Recall but will def be checking their work afterward.
No problem, my gut told me to pull the glovebox before bringing it in to show them I'd be inspecting their work after, but I got lazy.

They also broke my cupholder then claimed it was already broken when I brought it in. And people wonder why I do ALL of my own work. You can't trust anybody anymore
Appreciate 0