E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Weird Daten File names don't match in NCS Expert when coding

07-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

Weird Daten File names don't match in NCS Expert when coding

Is this a problem or the way it works.
When I read a module in NCS expert it displays the Daten File its referencing as seen in screenshot attached.
Example- after selecting NFRM module to read, the screen showed FRM2_E89.C08 (this is before I actually read the module)

But after reading the module the display changed to FRM3_E89.C32

The same thing happened when I coded my CIC module for DVD in Motion.

It read out as CIC1A (and that is the Daten file that I altered per the instructions) but when I coded it, it said it was going to code CIC.C08. It all worked no issues but I'm not understanding why they don't match.

When I read the Kombi module it matched the initial screen and after reading.

Is this normal? or what don't I know.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
BMW..
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Completely normal. It's selecting which data file corresponds with the module
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Cool, so in the NFRM module above in the screen shots which does my car have, the second one FRM3?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
bmw130i
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjam View Post
Cool, so in the NFRM module above in the screen shots which does my car have, the second one FRM3?
Indeed the second display is the correct one corresponding with what you have in the car
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Cool, Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
BMW..
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjam View Post
Cool, Thanks everyone!
No problem! Just more in depth.. When you select a module it will pick the oldest daten file available as a default reference because it is bound to have all the files. When the car reads the module it will then determine which feature set the car is able to perform and selects the corresponding file... Happy coding
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.. View Post
No problem! Just more in depth.. When you select a module it will pick the oldest daten file available as a default reference because it is bound to have all the files. When the car reads the module it will then determine which feature set the car is able to perform and selects the corresponding file... Happy coding
Thank you so much BMW. I'm the type that like to understand how things work and not blindly follow instructions. So this info is great.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
BMW..
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjam
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.. View Post
Thank you so much BMW. I'm the type that like to understand how things work and not blindly follow instructions. So this info is great.
Same here man! You're lucky there's people to help you with these things! I had to teach myself by reading through the PDF files that came with the software...
Appreciate 0