F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Sport/Comfort/DTC Modes Activating by themself in regular/sports mode
Studio RSR

07-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Sport/Comfort/DTC Modes Activating by themself in regular/sports mode

Anybody see an issue where the traction control de-activates itself and or toggles thru comfort or sport mode by itself? If you are in sports or D mode, the DTC would go off and then the system would put the car in comfort mode, then it would go back to DTC and cycle through. Really weird.

Sometimes it happens a lot and sometimes it does not. Its random. But it does happen daily.

This also seems to occur when I'm in manual mode.

Car is a 2012 335i (f30)

UPDATE 1: 8.16.13

Just got the car back from the dealer after having the sport/eco mode button replaced. Bad news the issue is still there... Modes going off by themselves...

UPDATE 2: 8.21.13

Took the car back yesterday (8.20.13) to dealer for appointment to have them look at the eco/sport/traction modes going off. This time, I had the tech in the car with me so I can see if the modes would go. We drove around for 10-15 minutes and of course nothing happened. I got a call a little later from the SA saying that the tech went back and drove the car and indeed saw the issue happen. They said they would need the car another day.

Today (8.21.13) I got a call from the SA saying my car was ready and that they fixed the issue. I asked them are they sure? Did they really fix it this time. They said it was due to a short in the wiring or something which was causing the mode to go off by itself even though the button was completely changed. I'll be picking it up later today and will post thoughts on if it is really fixed.

UPDATE 3: 8.21.13

The result was that the shortage was causing the modes to go haywire. My car no longer has random modes toggling now. All is well.

Still surprised this has not happened to anyone else. Not sure how a short can occur in the car like that.

Last edited by vip; 09-17-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Nope not yet anyway. Sounds like a trip to the dealer for you to have them hook up to the computer, check for codes and reprogram and correct the faults.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad335 View Post
Nope not yet anyway. Sounds like a trip to the dealer for you to have them hook up to the computer, check for codes and reprogram and correct the faults.
yea thats exactly what im thinking! thanks. gonna schedule it for next week.
      07-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Only thing i have seen is sports+ mode going back to plain sports mode when i activate cruise control.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Anybody else have this issue? Car is currently being diagnosed at dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Update:

I just got the car back from the dealer today in Fremont. Apparently it is an issue with the performance mode switch (Eco pro, comfort, sport, etc). Good news is that it's a known issue from Germany.

Bad news is that the part is on nationwide back order, so likely will take a few weeks to get it installed and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

bump for update to thread.
      09-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
kconner5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 Manual (ZCP)

Our new 328i with X-Drive is doing the same thing. We just got it out of break in mode, so I took it for an oil change (never hurts right?) and then wanted to open it up a bit and see how it handled. I usually drive my MINI in DTC mode just because it allows a bit more slip before the "nannies" kick in. So I go into DS transmission mode, sport mode on the drive selector, and when I go into DTC mode, it puts me back into comfort. So I thought oh, I'll just throw it back into Sport... Well that turns DTC off and DSC fully back on.

Kyle
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kconner5 View Post
Our new 328i with X-Drive is doing the same thing. We just got it out of break in mode, so I took it for an oil change (never hurts right?) and then wanted to open it up a bit and see how it handled. I usually drive my MINI in DTC mode just because it allows a bit more slip before the "nannies" kick in. So I go into DS transmission mode, sport mode on the drive selector, and when I go into DTC mode, it puts me back into comfort. So I thought oh, I'll just throw it back into Sport... Well that turns DTC off and DSC fully back on.

Kyle
Hey Kyle,

I thought I was the only one who had this issue. I swear I searched for a good week or so to figure out what the problem. At the time, I was the only one who seemed to have the issue (based on research from f30post). I took it to the dealer the first and after some research they said it was a faulty switch (comfort/sport switch). I picked it up from the dealer once they said it was fixed and behold, 10 minutes after driving, the mode would go to DTC randomly and then to comfort, eco pro, etc. I called them again and scheduled an appointment for the following week.

I went back in and this time I took the tech out for a drive to see if we can reproduce it. Of course I was not able to reproduce it. Later that day the tech was able to see what happened. The wiring for some reason was shorted, which caused the modes to toggle by themselves.

I am no longer having issues now. I would take your car into service with my print out and have them ensure it's not just the switch that may need to be changed but also check for any wiring faults or shortages.

Hope this helps.
      09-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
now u can go to sport+ with stability control OFF ??
No. This is a completely different issue.
      11-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
princealih
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

similar thing happens to me

After driving for about 5-10 mins or so, the car automatically switches down the drive mode:
- Sport+ -> Sport
- Sport -> Comfort
- Comfort -> Eco Pro

Its easy to reproduce after a few minutes of driving in Sport or Sport+ on the highway.* Once this, the switch becomes very unresponsive and is lagged when i try to toggle the drive mode up or down further (this occurs some of the times) and gets resolved after a few more minutes of driving.

I took it to my dealer a month ago and they ordered a new switch that was installed yesterday. That didnt fix the issue and im scheduled to go back in again Wednesday.

Do you remember exactly what was fixed with your? Do you have the service papers?

Appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by princealih View Post
After driving for about 5-10 mins or so, the car automatically switches down the drive mode:
- Sport+ -> Sport
- Sport -> Comfort
- Comfort -> Eco Pro

Its easy to reproduce after a few minutes of driving in Sport or Sport+ on the highway.* Once this, the switch becomes very unresponsive and is lagged when i try to toggle the drive mode up or down further (this occurs some of the times) and gets resolved after a few more minutes of driving.

I took it to my dealer a month ago and they ordered a new switch that was installed yesterday. That didnt fix the issue and im scheduled to go back in again Wednesday.

Do you remember exactly what was fixed with your? Do you have the service papers?

Appreciate it
Pm me your number. Will walk you through my experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 06:42 AM   #13
fredster79
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by princealih View Post
- Sport+ -> Sport
- Sport -> Comfort
- Comfort -> Eco Pro

Appreciate it

Did you get this fixed? I'm having the same issue on my f30
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:56 AM   #14
princealih
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredster79 View Post
Did you get this fixed? I'm having the same issue on my f30
Yes, they ended up reprogramming the ECU. Took a couple of days. The problem was solved and never came back.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #15
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

My fix when I had the car (dont have an f30 anymore), they took out the control switch and saw that the wiring was faulty. So they replaced the switch and wiring.
      02-15-2018, 05:26 AM   #16
fredster79
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

tnx for the answers guys. Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0