F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > First limp mode on the track?
GetBMWParts

07-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
First limp mode on the track?

I've seen a number of posts asking if the F30 335 has limp mode issues when tracking like the E90 335's had

Mine did yesterday - the car temp got to right below 3/4 on the gauge and when I hammered the throttle coming out of turn 3, there just wasn't anything there - first I thought I might have been in the wrong gear, but it was the car - it pulled the boost.

To be fair I was asking WAY too much of it
  • It was 107 degrees
  • I was running ~95 second autocross laps back-to-back with less than 30 seconds between laps, lots of WOT at sub-60mph speeds and no wind
  • I was co-driving the car with my wife, who had already taken her 5 laps, and this was my 5th - so the car had just had 10 laps back to back in the 107 texas heat with no wind
  • The air-conditioner might have been on Max A/C the whole time ...oops

The boost did come back after a few seconds of driving, but as the run wasn't competitive anymore, I thought better of pushing it anymore and just cruised through the finish, out onto the road behind the airfield and let it breath for about a mile - the temp came down surprisingly fast (like <30 seconds it was down below the 1/2 way mark)

There wasn't ever any notification on iDrive or in the gauge cluster (except where the needle was on the temp gauge), no lights or messages. I guess it was transitory enough that the computer didn't feel necessary to bother me about it

Anyways, for those with limp-mode concerns, I think as long as you don't try to race on the sun with the A/C on full, it'll probably be fine

Here's a video of my 9th run, going into my 10th run (when it went limp....)
Telemetry cuts out after the 9th run because I turned it off and forgot to turn it on again - wish I had it though, would have really been interesting to have the log of the OBD2 data

Limp mode happens right at 4:57 - I hammered it and nothing, looked down and thought "maybe a lower gear", flipped down to 2nd, nothing. Turn 5 at ~5:10 is when I realized what was going on and backed off (start driving with one hand and talking to my wife), you can barely hear the announcer 5:47 mention the time and that "he must have had a problem out there"

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Thanks for sharing... good to see that the N55 is much less succeptible to this than the N54.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I think this may be a different version of the common N55 limp mode discussed in the other threads.

From my experience I entered a limp mode when the temp was completely normal and consequently when the aux fans spooled up at full capacity my temps quickly dropped to less than the 1/4 mark on the temp gauge.

I think your limp mode may have been a legit limp mode. In the other cases the cars entered limp mode during normal, easy driving. Yours worked as designed, was ran hard, got hot, and went into limp to protect itself and cool down the motor.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
Exactly, not the M-sport fan bug, but a "oh shit calm down dummy" genuine limp mode
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

It is odd that you would get a limp mode without any message. Could it simply be that the car was running too hot and was starting to detonate? Maybe what you felt was knock retard? What fuel were you running?
Appreciate 0