E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need Your Help RE: 335/328 Convertible Window Rattles

09-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
RodB
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible and Coupe

Need Your Help RE: 335/328 Convertible Window Rattles

Looking for some guidance here. My dealer seems stumped on what to do with the window rattles on my 335i Convertible. They've adjusted the top at the header. They've lubricated the window seals (which seems to have made the problem worse) and now they are looking to see if there are any other documented cases of the driver's side windows rattling with the top up?

So, if you have a Convertible and you've had window rattle issues, could you PLEASE let me know what if anything your service center did about it and whether it solved the problem.

And yes, I know they are convertibles. And yes, convertibles have tops that flex, but for this much money, they shouldn't make this much noise.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer.
      09-28-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
RodB
Private
Rep

Bump.......Am I the only one with such an issue???
      09-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
clc5174
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 'vert

I have a very, very minor rattle in the driver's side windows (6K miles) -- not bad enough at all to go to the dealer yet and easily covered by the radio. I *will* mention it when I do go in for service.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
RodB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc5174 View Post
I have a very, very minor rattle in the driver's side windows (6K miles) -- not bad enough at all to go to the dealer yet and easily covered by the radio. I *will* mention it when I do go in for service.
Thanks......Mine is more than minor and becoming completely annoying.
      09-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
keithIOW
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E93 325 SE

Hi,

I've got similar rattles with my windows in my 325 (328) (both sides). I think that it's down to the fact that there is no B pilar and there is friction between the rubber seal around the rear side window and the front front side windows. I'm not sure what can be done about it though. I've spoken to my dealer and they've pretty much said that you are bound to get 'movement' due to the nature of it being a convertible!

I've had a few issues with my car (2 fuel pump failures, strange noises from the clutch and the roof has packed up completely on a few occasions), and as a result BMW UK are going to replace the car, so it will be interesting to see if they've 'cured' the problem on the newer cars (my current E93 was one of the first in the UK)

Good luck.

E93 325 SE, Sparkling Graphite, Black Dakota, hi-gloss black trim, 230's, Folding Mirrors, C/A, Sat Nav, Sport Seats, Front Seat Heating, prof Hi-Fi
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Just out of curiousity, which dealer are you taking it to?
      09-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
Looking for some guidance here. My dealer seems stumped on what to do with the window rattles on my 335i Convertible. They've adjusted the top at the header. They've lubricated the window seals (which seems to have made the problem worse) and now they are looking to see if there are any other documented cases of the driver's side windows rattling with the top up?

So, if you have a Convertible and you've had window rattle issues, could you PLEASE let me know what if anything your service center did about it and whether it solved the problem.

And yes, I know they are convertibles. And yes, convertibles have tops that flex, but for this much money, they shouldn't make this much noise.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer.
I have a 2007 335i convertible with 3500 miles anda very annoying rattle coming from the center console area of the dash. I have not had a chance to take it to the dealer yet.

I ajm in Florida this week renting an Audi A4 3.2 Cabriolet with 17000 miles from Hertz. No rattles at all. I am taking the BMW to the dealer for this as soon as I get back to NYC.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
Dinan335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo Vert

I have a 335i convertible and know exactly what you are talking about. Seems to come from where the front and rear windows meet (on the drivers side). Rattles all the time when the top is up (thankfully I live in CA)

Also have a rattle that seems to be coming from my steering column.

Let me know how it goes. I haven't taken my car in yet b/c I don't want to be the guinea pig!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #9
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

If it rattles bring it to the delaership. We cant fix it here. Bring the tech with you on the test drive so they can hear the noise. Also what does money have to do with how many rattles it has? That makes no sense.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #10
RodB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
If it rattles bring it to the delaership. We cant fix it here. Bring the tech with you on the test drive so they can hear the noise. Also what does money have to do with how many rattles it has? That makes no sense.
I didn't imagine you could fix it for me. And I have taken it to the dealer three times for this now and of course I've taken the tech on a drive with me. I am somewhat intelligent. What I was hoping was that maybe, just maybe, there are others out there who had the same issue and they were successful in getting this problem resolved. And maybe, just maybe, they would know what their service center did. And on your assertion that money doesn't matter. I beg to differ with you. I've owned other convertibles, some costing much less that didn't have rattles like this. So, I do think it's reasonable to believe that a car that cost nearly $60,000 dollars should be a bit quieter on broken pavement than say a Honda S2000, or a VW Cabriolet, or a Mercedes SLK, or an SL or a CLK Cabriolet (all of which I have owned before), and none of which have suffered such an annoying rattle.
      09-28-2007, 10:03 PM   #11
RodB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clean335i View Post
Just out of curiousity, which dealer are you taking it to?
Reeves. And so far, they've been really good to deal with and have gone out of their way to try to fix this. But, I'm not going to give up and they're going to have to find some solution, because the rattle is driving me bonkers.

Which dealer do you take your Bimmer to for service?
      09-28-2007, 10:08 PM   #12
RodB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithIOW View Post
Hi,

I've got similar rattles with my windows in my 325 (328) (both sides). I think that it's down to the fact that there is no B pilar and there is friction between the rubber seal around the rear side window and the front front side windows. I'm not sure what can be done about it though. I've spoken to my dealer and they've pretty much said that you are bound to get 'movement' due to the nature of it being a convertible!

I've had a few issues with my car (2 fuel pump failures, strange noises from the clutch and the roof has packed up completely on a few occasions), and as a result BMW UK are going to replace the car, so it will be interesting to see if they've 'cured' the problem on the newer cars (my current E93 was one of the first in the UK)

Good luck.
Thanks and good luck to you as well. Mine is an E93 and just hit 600 miles today. That's why it's so surprising that the car rattles this much at such an early age. And you are right, it's where the two windows meet and the rubber seal I'm sure. But they should have figured this out. Other convertibles have the same type of design like a CLK Cabriolet (I had one of those too) which does not suffer from such an annoying rattle. I hope your E93 doesn't do the same.
      09-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #13
RodB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I have a 2007 335i convertible with 3500 miles anda very annoying rattle coming from the center console area of the dash. I have not had a chance to take it to the dealer yet.

I ajm in Florida this week renting an Audi A4 3.2 Cabriolet with 17000 miles from Hertz. No rattles at all. I am taking the BMW to the dealer for this as soon as I get back to NYC.
And that's what I'm talking about. A BMW with 600 miles should certainly be as quiet if not more quiet than an Audi with 17000 miles. Wouldn't you think?? Thanks for your comments.
      09-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #14
2007_E93
Captain
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
I didn't imagine you could fix it for me. And I have taken it to the dealer three times for this now and of course I've taken the tech on a drive with me. I am somewhat intelligent. What I was hoping was that maybe, just maybe, there are others out there who had the same issue and they were successful in getting this problem resolved. And maybe, just maybe, they would know what their service center did. And on your assertion that money doesn't matter. I beg to differ with you. I've owned other convertibles, some costing much less that didn't have rattles like this. So, I do think it's reasonable to believe that a car that cost nearly $60,000 dollars should be a bit quieter on broken pavement than say a Honda S2000, or a VW Cabriolet, or a Mercedes SLK, or an SL or a CLK Cabriolet (all of which I have owned before), and none of which have suffered such an annoying rattle.
Rod...I agree with you it should not rattle that bad for what we paid!. Luckily, I have no real issues with my Convertible ...Yet. ...I hope the gremlins don't get to me like they did you. I am also in the Tampa area and have generally been satisfied with the service dept at Ferman BMW in Palm Harbor. However, once they took 4 times to find a problem on an older 1996 318 my wife had. Anyway, you may want to try that dealership and see if they can help. Which dealer did you go to? I heard the one in Tampa is not that good. However, I have heard good things about the one in Lakeland.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #15
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan335i View Post
I have a 335i convertible and know exactly what you are talking about. Seems to come from where the front and rear windows meet (on the drivers side). Rattles all the time when the top is up (thankfully I live in CA)
Somewhat similar for my 335i cabrio, but only on the passenger side
I noticed it when going over rough road and tried lowering the rear window to see it it went away (and it did).

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #16
RodB
Private
Rep

Thanks to everyone who has written. I see I am not alone on this rattle issue and suspect a PUMA case will need to be created. BMW needs to be able to find a way to quiet these annoying rattles.

Thanks again everyone!
      09-29-2007, 09:54 PM   #17
RodB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
Somewhat similar for my 335i cabrio, but only on the passenger side
I noticed it when going over rough road and tried lowering the rear window to see it it went away (and it did).
Same thing on my car. If I lower the rear winder just a very small amount the rattle goes away completely. It has to be where the two windows come together. The rubber seal seems to be the culprit...........
      09-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #18
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Most verts squeek and rattle at the window seals as the top moves around a bit - my old one could be fixed with just a little silicone spray on the rubbers around the windows. Get used to it - all verts will rattle and squeek a bit!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 07:32 PM   #19
RodB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Most verts squeek and rattle at the window seals as the top moves around a bit - my old one could be fixed with just a little silicone spray on the rubbers around the windows. Get used to it - all verts will rattle and squeek a bit!
Having had a number of verts, I have to disagree that ALL verts rattle and squeak. I've had a number of SLK's. No rattles or squeaks. I've had two SL's. No rattles or squeaks. I've had two Honda S2000's. No rattles or squeaks. A couple CLK Cabriolet's. No rattles or squeaks. There are probably some I'm missing, but this rattle is unacceptable in the 335 Vert. And the dealer has tried lubricating the seal. That does last about a day, then the rattle comes right back.
      09-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #20
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
i have had my windows rattle a few times in the vert, but it goes away the next day

sometimes it rattles when it is a very cold day, and sometimes since i got my windows tinted the windows squeek
      09-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #21
RodB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
i have had my windows rattle a few times in the vert, but it goes away the next day

sometimes it rattles when it is a very cold day, and sometimes since i got my windows tinted the windows squeek
Temps could play a role in this for sure. For example, and I shared this with my dealer, if my car sits out in the hot Florida sun for a while, the rattle is gone, until the A/C has sufficiently cooled the interior. At that point the rattle returns. It also goes away when it rains. I think that also points to the window seal between the front and rear window. Me thinks BMW needs to replace that seal in my my car. I'm supposed to hear from my dealer tomorrow with what they intend to "try" next.

Thanks
      10-01-2007, 06:39 AM   #22
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Quote:
Reeves. And so far, they've been really good to deal with and have gone out of their way to try to fix this. But, I'm not going to give up and they're going to have to find some solution, because the rattle is driving me bonkers.

Which dealer do you take your Bimmer to for service?

I take my car to Reevse also. But I have a sedan. I know of another local Tampa guy who is having the same issue as you are. He describes it as more of a fluttering type of noise.. No solution on the fix yet from what I know.