E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can I extend CPO warranty?

07-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Blcoffee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Can I extend CPO warranty?

Hello forum memebers,

I am about to purchase 2008 335i e93 with cpo warranty.

The CPO warranty will expire nov 2013, and i want to know if the warranty can be extended.

I am aware the if the car is still under the initial 4yr/50000 warranty, then i can purchase additional warranty.

I need to know if the same rule applied to CPO cars.

Also, i see there are Gold Silver and Platinum coverage, and what should i get if i choose to extend the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Shon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

If your CPO is till 100k miles or till Nov 2013, you can't extend the CPO. You can buy an extended warranty from a different company though
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Blcoffee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

so that bmw will not provide any type of warranty once the cpo warranty expires, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
apc3libras
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [4.00]
That's correct.
      07-13-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blcoffee View Post
Hello forum memebers,

I am about to purchase 2008 335i e93 with cpo warranty.

The CPO warranty will expire nov 2013, and i want to know if the warranty can be extended.

I am aware the if the car is still under the initial 4yr/50000 warranty, then i can purchase additional warranty.

I need to know if the same rule applied to CPO cars.

Also, i see there are Gold Silver and Platinum coverage, and what should i get if i choose to extend the warranty.

Role the dice, just look at your track record of the car so far... if you car has required a ton of repairs then you are better off dumping it. If your car hasn't had any major issues so far and your under 100k miles... then roll the dice and go without the insurance. Even with insurance, dealerships always want to check your warranty status first before giving you details on what is "wrong" with your car. If your car is under factory or CPO, then everything is fine or the tech can't reproduce the issue. The day the warranty runs out, "oh... yea your brake light bulb went out huh... we'll need to keep the car here over night to diag it for 3 hours. Looks like you need to get an entire new tail light assembly (which you kindly decline after spending $150 x 3 hours)". Then you take your car to your local AutoZone/APP and for $5 they just pop in a new bulb off the shelf and you are fine!

Lots of items which commonly fail will not be covered by the warranty, like the car battery + battery registration, car radio/Nav, or Bluetooth/TCU/BMW assist module which tends to die often. If you have a good Indy mechanic than you should be fine.

The only random issue will be the water pump+T-stat which tends to die around 60k-80k miles and will cost about $800 at Indy or $1200 dealership.

But if you really want that piece of mind, check out here: http://www.carchex.com/

I favor for self insurance, because all insurance is usually a scam.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #6
apc3libras
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Role the dice, just look at your track record of the car so far... if you car has required a ton of repairs then you are better off dumping it. If your car hasn't had any major issues so far and your under 100k miles... then roll the dice and go without the insurance. Even with insurance, dealerships always want to check your warranty status first before giving you details on what is "wrong" with your car. If your car is under factory or CPO, then everything is fine or the tech can't reproduce the issue. The day the warranty runs out, "oh... yea your brake light bulb went out huh... we'll need to keep the car here over night to diag it for 3 hours. Looks like you need to get an entire new tail light assembly (which you kindly decline after spending $150 x 3 hours)". Then you take your car to your local AutoZone/APP and for $5 they just pop in a new bulb off the shelf and you are fine!

Lots of items which commonly fail will not be covered by the warranty, like the car battery + battery registration, car radio/Nav, or Bluetooth/TCU/BMW assist module which tends to die often. If you have a good Indy mechanic than you should be fine.

The only random issue will be the water pump+T-stat which tends to die around 60k-80k miles and will cost about $800 at Indy or $1200 dealership.

But if you really want that piece of mind, check out here: http://www.carchex.com/

I favor for self insurance, because all insurance is usually a scam.
Good advice.
      07-13-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Honestly, if I had the choice of buying a new car at 10% below MSRP with 4 year/50k mile factory warranty OR buying the same new car with no warranty, but the sale price was 60% of MSRP... take a guess which I would get?

Most modern cars are built pretty solid for anything under 100k miles, you really shouldn't have any issue getting to 200k miles following the service plan laid out in the manual or Mike Millers old skool schedule. Dealerships are all a rip off, find a good Indy on this forum near you and you will be far handsomely rewarded by giving them biz to keep your ride in tip-top shape!

That's why I get CPO'ed cars and have them PPI'ed and make sure they have a CLEAN service record before I buy them. Let the first guy take the risk of finding all the issues. I'm more than happy to buy his left overs which I can carefully screen for a significant fraction of the cost.
Appreciate 0