F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Active Cruise Control Folks - Please Chime In
GetBMWParts

07-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Exclamation Active Cruise Control Folks - Please Chime In

Hi guys, So I've got ACC on my recently acquired E92 335i. Its so rare on the E9X I figured I'd get more hits here...

Its a neat feature, however, recently I've been getting the 'Active Cruise Control malfunction'. Connecting to INPA, the error message is 'sensor out of adjustment' Apparently, the ACC system is very sensitive, and can throw an error even if its off by a few degrees. I did switch to a set of aftermarket wheels with larger than stock tires and I'm thinking that may be the culprit.

So my question to other ACC users is, did you encounter the same problem when switching to aftermarket or winter rims? Or perhaps when lowered on coilovers? Was your dealer willing to realign it under warranty?

I'm out of warranty and my local dealer wants to charge $500 to have it readjusted I hear its quite the show that includes jigs, lasers and an alignment wall.

ACC is something I rarely use, but I cannot even use regular cruise control if it malfunctions. Definitely something to consider for those on the fence about getting this option....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

I had the ACC on my E92 too, and I got that after I installed a new front lip (OEM addon) and accidentally pushed the "eye" a few millimeters. I ran 5 different wheels and coilovers on my car without issues so that would not change anything.

I would look into if something has pushed the "eye" out of its original placements. Maybe you have hit something (small bird).

And on the F30 they use a completely different sensor that cant be moved in the same way so no problems like that. And the only issue I ever had with my ACC was when I screwed up, other than that it worked like a charm for years.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
I had the ACC on my E92 too, and I got that after I installed a new front lip (OEM addon) and accidentally pushed the "eye" a few millimeters. I ran 5 different wheels and coilovers on my car without issues so that would not change anything.

I would look into if something has pushed the "eye" out of its original placements. Maybe you have hit something (small bird).

And on the F30 they use a completely different sensor that cant be moved in the same way so no problems like that. And the only issue I ever had with my ACC was when I screwed up, other than that it worked like a charm for years.
Good to know, I also plan on installing coilovers soon. When you had the issue, how did you have it fixed? By the dealer or were you able readjust it on your own?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Good to know, I also plan on installing coilovers soon. When you had the issue, how did you have it fixed? By the dealer or were you able readjust it on your own?
When I removed the front lip and just pushed it back it just worked and did so for as long as I had the car. So I would check if it is any noticeable changes of its position. Otherwise something might have broken or needs a more serious readjust.

But I didn't get a fault code (that I know of). My actual error showed up on the nav screen (exact same message as your fault code though).
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
raceing86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport Melb. Red

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Almost 18,000 miles and no permanent ACC faults here. If I am in really bad rain, my car will give me an ACC fault, different from the fault it gives you if it hydroplanes slightly, but an ignition cycle always clears it.

Now passenger airbag fault warning... I see that on a weekly basis.
Sport Line, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Sport Auto Trans, Active Cruise Control, Heated Front Seats, Auto High Beams, Parking Assistant, Harmon Kardon
Appreciate 0